U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 AM

15,003 posts, read 18,827,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. He's not vegan, got it. I do stand by my original statement that being a good host means catering to your guests and respecting food choices that may be due to health, moral, or environmental reasons.

Sigh. He's not a vegan or vegetarian. She is a vegetarian, not a vegan - though others on here called her a pescatarian. He does not eat dairy. I have no idea why - allergies, intolerance, medication conflicts, or if he's practicing the religion of Jainism.

I think The fact that I know his and her food preferences, issues, limitations, etc kinda proves that I'm a "good host." Hell, I've never even met the guy.

SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 11:44 AM

1,182 posts, read 287,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. He's not vegan, got it. I do stand by my original statement that being a good host means catering to your guests and respecting food choices that may be due to health, moral, or environmental reasons.
I know who I'm cooking for. If they bring a guest that has issues, that is on them. If I'm making something someone doesn't like, then don't come.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM

6,385 posts, read 5,387,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I know who I'm cooking for. If they bring a guest that has issues, that is on them. If I'm making something someone doesn't like, then don't come.
Very gracious of you.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 PM

10,982 posts, read 17,468,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sigh. He's not a vegan or vegetarian. She is a vegetarian, not a vegan - though others on here called her a pescatarian. He does not eat dairy. I have no idea why - allergies, intolerance, medication conflicts, or if he's practicing the religion of Jainism.
I believe you that she's calling herself a vegetarian, but she most certainly is not one if she eats seafood. I don't know why so many non-vegetarians abuse the word, which makes life more complicated for real vegetarians.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 2,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I believe you that she's calling herself a vegetarian, but she most certainly is not one if she eats seafood. I don't know why so many non-vegetarians abuse the word, which makes life more complicated for real vegetarians.
When I read the first post that is the first thing that came to mind. You absolutely can not be a vegetarian and eat any seafood. You can't eat jello, twinkies, all kinds of things most people wouldn't expect. People that call themselves vegetarian when they are not is actually one of those weird things that bug me.

I was a strict vegetarian for nine years. I tried to go vegan but cheese. I fell off the wagon years ago though.

I find vegetarians actually very easy to cook for. Dairy free...yikes! Much harder. It's right up there with gluten free cooking for me.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM

My final solution:

Shrimp Creole. No butter to finish the sauce.
Salad.
Done.

Okay, maybe I'll do some garlic bread and the BF can pass on it.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:53 PM

3,178 posts, read 7,009,933 times
You can do garlic bread for everyone who will enjoy it and serve baguette with olive oil and roasted garlic to dip in for the BF.

Good luck, Chinese restaurant sounds like a good choice for next time.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:26 PM

7,098 posts, read 9,292,240 times
I'm dairy free and easy to cook for -- except for the vast numbers of people in this country who have no idea that butter and cheese are dairy products. And that eggs are NOT made of milk.

As the above poster said, use whatever oil you have that is non-dairy instead of butter.

If you're making something with a white sauce, you can replace the butter with margarine, coconut oil or even Crisco and replace the milk with water. Works great.

You can use water or fruit juice in a lot of recipes instead of milk. Just depends on what you're making.

Cheese-free salad with a vinaigrette dressing fits almost any diet. Walnuts, pecans or almonds make a great salad protein instead of cheese.

If you're serving soup, vegetable soup works for almost everyone. You can make it thick and hearty without adding cheese or milk by throwing in a cup of barley or rolled oats. Tomato soup doesn't need milk or cheese. Even pumpkin soup can be made with water or broth instead of milk (and tastes a lot better IMHO).

A lot of what most people consider side dishes are great entrees on their own if you doctor them up a little and don't restrict your guests to tiny portions. Acorn squash filled with chopped walnuts, apples, and some of that boxed long grain and wild rice is great, as long as you leave out the butter and replace it with another oil (or just leave it oilless).

This isn't especially ice cream weather anyway, but you can always serve raspberry sherbet.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My final solution:

Shrimp Creole. No butter to finish the sauce.
Salad.
Done.

Okay, maybe I'll do some garlic bread and the BF can pass on it.

The BF ate the garlic bread - and yes, I warned him it had butter. He ate SEVERAL pieces of it.

The shrimp creole was okay, but I was forced to 'dumb it down' for the vegetarian friend who don't eat spicy. Hence, it was pretty bland. The dairy free desert provided by another guest was warm - pears with some kind of crunchy topping that included oatmeal, raisins and some other grains. She apologized for it the moment she walked in the door. Might have been better with vanilla ice cream, but that wasn't an option.

Overall, one of the most boring, lack of flavor dinners I've cooked in ages. The garlic bread was the best thing on the table.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM

21,840 posts, read 27,090,532 times
Recently I saw an episode of Lidia Bastianich's PBS cooking show that included vegetarian meatballs. They were made of quinoa and looked really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or