U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:33 PM

17,890 posts, read 54,220,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
These are not food allergies, they are dietary needs and/or preferences. But they aren't allergies.
This is a tricky subject. "Allergies" typically is used medically in conjunction to the histamine response and closing of the airways, but the body CAN have other systemic responses that are life threatening and meet the broader standard of definitions of "allergic." Additionally, the gut nervous system that is INDEPENDENT of the central nervous system can have learned intolerances.

A paraplegic can have zero function below the neck, but digestion and the movement of food through the gut continues - because that system is independent.

Some people have a genetic inability, such as folks who cannot handle the element copper. Too much in foods will create all sorts of problems and then kill them.

Others of us have idiosyncratic sensitivities. Example: Guar gum (a dirt cheap thickener commonly used in processed foods, dairy, and Ben & Jerry's ice-cream) creates an airway blocking thick mucous in me.

Food sensitivities often are a result of a trigger situation or trauma, and are not involved with the conscious or even unconscious, but the gut nervous system. To give an idea of how this can happen, consider a cancer patient who goes for chemo just after a meal containing cabbage. The chemo throws the body systems into disarray and the natural defensive system of the gut recognizes both the body trauma and the characteristics of what has just been eaten. Those get linked, and the gut subsequently tries to warn or dissuade whenever cabbage is sensed - no brainpower involved. Severe emotional trauma can also trigger such linking, something our ancestors knew instinctively.

The ethics and science of food choices - vegan, fruitarian, etc. - are usually ill-informed or under-informed, and influenced by manipulators with agendas. The debate over the health aspects of coconut oil and eggs has routinely veered into crazy territories. The issue of sentience has created Frakenfoods to satisfy questionable ethics by having humans eat things we weren't designed to eat.

Religious restrictions add yet more layers to the burden of cooks.

Food sensitivities CAN be corrected. Ethics can become more educated. True allergies can even be prevented in childhood. Idiosyncratic and genetic sensitivities apparently cannot.

The bottom line is that "fad" food restrictions and attempts at manipulation are rampant and do a disservice to those with real issues. I have little tolerance for the fads and will call them out. A safe response to someone with apparent manipulative desires might be - "Gee, you do have some difficulties. I feel unsafe in making any meal for you and would be devastated if you became ill from something I made. Is it possible for you to bring along a food that you know is safe for you?" Place the responsibility for actions squarely on the correct shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 AM

1,228 posts, read 308,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Very gracious of you.
Actually it is! If I'm having a crawfish boil and someone brings a guest that doesn't eat crawfish, I'm not going out of my way to provide something they can eat. The sides, beside the veges in the boil, like jambalaya, corn and mirliton maque choux, potato salad and slaw may or may not be something the guest might eat. If I invite someone, say a vegan to dinner, I'll make sure and cater to them for the whole meal.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM

397 posts, read 411,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
To say nothing of the word "vegan" entering this thread. I never said that at all.
"Another meal for somebody with food allergies (ingredients, vegetarian, vegan)"

Your title to the thread has the word vegan.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:30 AM

16,685 posts, read 26,775,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
"Another meal for somebody with food allergies (ingredients, vegetarian, vegan)"

Your title to the thread has the word vegan.
JK's title didn't:

City Data software adds the stuff that's in parenthesis that you're seeing.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 AM

397 posts, read 411,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
JK's title didn't:

City Data software adds the stuff that's in parenthesis that you're seeing.
Hmm, didn't know they did that. I guess that's why I also thought she did say vegan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or