U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM

15,078 posts, read 19,030,481 times

Advertisements

Our friend has gone vegetarian. It's a pain, but I can deal with it. She will eat fish and shrimp.

But NOW she's got a boyfriend, who I've just learned is "dairy free". No milk, cream, ice cream, butter, cheese.

And they are BOTH coming to dinner on Friday, with another couple who don't have food issues - just standard likes and dislikes. (Mercifully, the other couple volunteered to do desert.)

I had planned on Norwegian Salmon, which is the only kind of salmon that I like. Unfortunately, Lidl is out of stock and probably won't have any until next week. So I moved on to other thoughts for an entree and thought about shrimp skewers / shish kabob. Which WILL need some butter and olive oil before they hit the grill.

Is that SMALL amount of butter gonna kill the boyfriend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM

324 posts, read 116,885 times
[quote=Jkgourmet;54038385
Is that SMALL amount of butter gonna kill the boyfriend?[/QUOTE]

It could quite possibly kill him. It could kill me. It depends on whether he is allergic or intolerant. Neither one should be taken lightly though. No one wants their guests to be uncomfortable or monopolizing the bathroom or having to run off to the ER. My best advice is to disclose any dairy ingredients. People with food allergies are grateful for the warning. Eating out or eating food prepared by people you don't know is a major source of anxiety for those with allergies for good reason.

Those shrimp kebabs would be just as good without the butter or you could use Earth Balance which is a vegan alternative. You could also do two sets- make a few with just oil and seasonings and grill them on one half of the grill and grill the rest with butter and oil on the other half. It's easy to do with kebabs. Make the non-dairy ones on the skewer in one order shrimp- vegetable- shrimp and the dairy ones vegetable- shrimp- vegetable.

If he's really allergic it's a nice gesture if you could show product labels for what you use. Don't be offended if he declines to eat an item.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,167,188 times
Make 2 versions....one with the EVOO....the other with butter. And do the ingredient label thing. You can cook vegan and dairy free without a lot of hassle.

Can your friend give you any pointers on her new BF? Surely she has cooked for him by now, or ate out even.

I have a DH and his family who have food sensitivities. They can't eat soy, garlic, olive and oils, basic vegetable oils, anything related to cucumber/watermelon, squash even. And they aren't vegetarian. Oh, MIL cannot eat eggs either.

Makes it a challenge sometimes. For DH, sometimes now I just cook his food, and then my own.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:58 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,432,615 times
It's pretty ungracious to invite a vegan(?) over for dinner and then cook a main he won't eat even though it won't kill him. If he's not vegan, just dairy-free, why wouldn't you just use olive oil instead of butter?

Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 PM

18,362 posts, read 23,541,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Our friend has gone vegetarian. It's a pain, but I can deal with it. She will eat fish and shrimp.

But NOW she's got a boyfriend, who I've just learned is "dairy free". No milk, cream, ice cream, butter, cheese.

And they are BOTH coming to dinner on Friday, with another couple who don't have food issues - just standard likes and dislikes. (Mercifully, the other couple volunteered to do desert.)

I had planned on Norwegian Salmon, which is the only kind of salmon that I like. Unfortunately, Lidl is out of stock and probably won't have any until next week. So I moved on to other thoughts for an entree and thought about shrimp skewers / shish kabob. Which WILL need some butter and olive oil before they hit the grill.

Is that SMALL amount of butter gonna kill the boyfriend?

Our friend has gone vegetarian.

I hope its not contagious

shrimp skewers sound good .

I like buffet theme...they can grab what they want

I cooked for a vegan years ago

my brother had a vegan girlfriend ... and they came over for thanksgiving and I was quite accommodating..to her .. offered many choices.. went out of my way

they arrived early..... I had 5 deer hanging in the garage...3 were skinned (cut deer up on the side for extra $$$ well she flipped out and started dry heaving ..

so no dead animals around ..

the following year she did make it in the house ..

Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM

11,088 posts, read 17,564,975 times
Your friend is a pescatarian.

Just do olive oil instead of butter, he didn't say no oil.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 4,079,456 times
I think I would say, we'd love to see you both - can we do a potluck?

"We don't want to run afoul of food needs. We don't know what to cook for a non dairy pecscatarian menu, but would love to try your dishes, and would love to see you! Otherwise, can you send ideas of what to serve?"

(Honestly, maybe serve salad and fruit salad otherwise? What are these people willing to eat?)

Old 01-02-2019, 09:32 PM

15,078 posts, read 19,030,481 times
who said anything about vegan? I did forget to add that she won't eat ANYTHING that's spicy.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll do his with olive oil. haricot vertes. Roasted potatoes (not baked). Some kind of salad. I normally would add garlic bread with homemade baguette, but. . .

Appetizers have been a challenge, too. I bought humus (and DH glared - neither of us particularly like the stuff and leftovers will end up trashed). I'll make guacamole (no jalapeno). I'll have to think up something else to add.

But this is the last time. From now on, when we see them, it's gonna be at a Chinese restaurant.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 PM

22,707 posts, read 28,757,635 times
Grilled shrimp is good with toasted sesame oil. Mix the sesame oil with a flavorless vegetable oil both to cut the flavor and cut the cost.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 PM

517 posts, read 358,925 times
One of my kids have several food allergies; so to me it is a big difference between intolerance like myself with gluten but it won't land me in an ER room or kill me though. Whereas, for my son...different story.

so always always disclose or even better label what you used to prepare. In all honestly, in this age of food allergies and intolerances, no one should be offended when asked politely what they like or any ideas?? I don't mind at all since I know its more work onto the hostess, but its also why 80% of time I tend to feed my allergy kid or bring his food with us if I'm very uncertain or unable to verify it's safeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or