U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:55 AM

6,215 posts, read 3,507,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Imagine if you didn't already have your cooking instincts.
Actually what I did think about was all the young beginners just starting out who would expect the book to be reliable.

Now I really know the world is going to heck in a handbasket when you can't count on BH&G. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM

21,507 posts, read 14,140,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Actually what I did think about was all the young beginners just starting out who would expect the book to be reliable.

Now I really know the world is going to heck in a handbasket when you can't count on BH&G. LOL
I agree!

And I have that old edition too. I have a very few recipes from it that I follow.

I believe Hershey's has several brownie recipes posted online.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM

7,098 posts, read 9,294,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's because the Thai's don't use coconut amino's or any other kind of amino's.
True, except whatever aminos are already in the coconut meat or milk they use anyway!

A lot of the strange ingredients you see in recipes these days are only available at ruinous prices from a health-food store. A considerate chef will say "If you can't find genuine Albanian whale's milk cheese you can just substitute brie with the rind removed" or something like that. Failing that, you can often find lists of substitutes online. Liquid aminos are the foodie's answer to soy sauce, so hey, just use soy sauce.

Andouille sausage is made of duck's bills or something crazy like that and is only available in a few shops in Andouille, France, which is why you can't find it at any store in the US of A. Food snobs will say there is NO substitute and it's NOT cassoulet without real Andouille sausage, and OK, it's not exactly the same, but an Eckrich smoked sausage tastes just is good and is 100% easier to track down. Using substitutions is a good way of making the recipe your own secret possession.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:14 AM

477 posts, read 94,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

Andouille sausage is made of duck's bills or something crazy like that and is only available in a few shops in Andouille, France, which is why you can't find it at any store in the US of A. Food snobs will say there is NO substitute and it's NOT cassoulet without real Andouille sausage, and OK, it's not exactly the same, but an Eckrich smoked sausage tastes just is good and is 100% easier to track down. Using substitutions is a good way of making the recipe your own secret possession.
There are different types of andouille, but I think you mean andouillette, and it most certainly is not made from duck's bills, and there is no place called Andouille, France. In France, it's usually a pork product made from parts of the other end of the digestive tract, though cow parts are sometimes used as well.

Andouille in the States is a Cajun sausage based on andouillette, also usually pork, with beef sometimes, but it uses cuts like pork butt, shoulder, etc., at least now.

My spouse was in France working in a small town. He made the mistake of ordering andouillette, thinking it was going to be mini andouille sausages. He ended up eating lots of bread that evening.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 PM

7,098 posts, read 9,294,210 times
I beg to differ -- the original cassoulet is made with a local duck-based sausage you can only get in the original town where it was invented in France. Someplace in Languedoc country. Otherwise, <I>les francaises</I> sniff, it's only lower-crust pork and beans.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:58 PM

16,639 posts, read 26,584,205 times
Quote:
I beg to differ -- the original cassoulet is made with a local duck-based sausage you can only get in the original town where it was invented in France. Someplace in Languedoc country. Otherwise, <I>les francaises</I> sniff, it's only lower-crust pork and beans.
I get what you're saying. It's like how you can't call Prosecco "champagne" because it's not from Champagne, France. I call it all "bubbly" to avoid the politics and get my damn drink.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 AM

477 posts, read 94,123 times
Quote:
I wasn't posting about cassoulet.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:38 PM

9,156 posts, read 8,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
There is no place called Andouille, France.
Vraiment, there is a place called Andouillé. It is a commune in the Mayenne department in northwestern France.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/53...8gEwFXoECAAQCA

ANDOUILLE - Map of Andouillé 53240 France

Old 03-05-2019, 05:21 AM

7,067 posts, read 3,411,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
many times I come across a recipe that interests me and then down on the list it calls for some kind exotic French wine and/or something like oudielle sausage that I have never even heard of. Sometimes I think that the author of the recipe just wrote down items and then to dirrect you away from it put that exotic stuff in.
I like the challenge and like expanding my horizons. There are oh-so-many online sources for food items, try google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or