Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Amazon is your friend for a lot of things. Lots of times I'll order Asian spices from there simply because there is just so much stuff in the large Asian market we go to and trying to find someone who speaks English is an adventure all on its own. I'll pull up pictures on my phone, but even then there's so much to look through. As far as cheeses, I always look up something I can use as a substitute in case we can't find what's called for, same with wine. I'm waiting on fennel pollen, black cardamom and curry leaves to show up today. Nobody carries fennel pollen locally that I can find because of the cost and it's rare use. The other 2 were ordered because I didn't feel like driving down to the Persian/Indian market, though I may regret that when I have to make the bread instead of buying some fresh from their stone oven.

Ragin Cajun is a brand of andouille that is made commercially and widely distributed. You can also use kielbasa in a pinch, but the flavor will be off. We make our own, as well as tasso.

Fennel Pollen??? That was a new one to me. And I just read an article about it AND put it on my Amazon shopping list. THANK YOU - can you tell me more about how/when you use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Amazon is your friend for a lot of things. Lots of times I'll order Asian spices from there simply because there is just so much stuff in the large Asian market we go to and trying to find someone who speaks English is an adventure all on its own. I'll pull up pictures on my phone, but even then there's so much to look through. As far as cheeses, I always look up something I can use as a substitute in case we can't find what's called for, same with wine. I'm waiting on fennel pollen, black cardamom and curry leaves to show up today. Nobody carries fennel pollen locally that I can find because of the cost and it's rare use. The other 2 were ordered because I didn't feel like driving down to the Persian/Indian market, though I may regret that when I have to make the bread instead of buying some fresh from their stone oven.

Ragin Cajun is a brand of andouille that is made commercially and widely distributed.
You can also use kielbasa in a pinch, but the flavor will be off. We make our own, as well as tasso.

I don't know how widespread Lowes Foods is but but my local one has a little sausage shop in store with many different types of sausage.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 PM

1,371 posts, read 659,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Fennel Pollen??? That was a new one to me. And I just read an article about it AND put it on my Amazon shopping list. THANK YOU - can you tell me more about how/when you use it?
Some will be going in a basil, garlic aioli I'm making tomorrow night for mini flatbreads with thin sliced orchestra on them. From there, who knows. I keep seeing chefs touting its use and flavor on cooking shows so wanted to try it.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,636,011 times
I went on a cruise and bought the cruise line's cookbook, thinking I would buy unusual ingredients and cook fancy meals at home. Years later, I never cooked a single recipe from it. I learned that I'd rather use common ingredients and will not scour grocery stores for uncommon ingredients.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 PM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know how widespread Lowes Foods is but but my local one has a little sausage shop in store with many different types of sausage.
We've tried at least a half dozen different varieties including the andouille. They all were lousy.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've tried at least a half dozen different varieties including the andouille. They all were lousy.

I've only tried the Andouille and thought it OK, now if I could only find a good local source of kielbasa and kabanosy.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know. Once I copied a recipe for a gourmet macaroni and cheese which called for a certain kind of cheese (described as an Italian Brie). I checked every store in my area, including Fresh Market and Whole Foods and nobody could sell it to me.
Robiola? It's pretty common in grocery stores and it is usually packaged in colorful paper.

Fresh Market and Whole Foods would have carried it. My local ghetto Winn Dixie carries it.

Sometimes, ingredients that are alien to some people are common to others.

For instance I can make just about any southern dish you can name but Milwaukee stuff is foreign to me. I wouldn't even know how to find cheese curds.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM

1,371 posts, read 659,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Robiola? It's pretty common in grocery stores and it is usually packaged in colorful paper.

Fresh Market and Whole Foods would have carried it. My local ghetto Winn Dixie carries it.

Sometimes, ingredients that are alien to some people are common to others.

For instance I can make just about any southern dish you can name but Milwaukee stuff is foreign to me. I wouldn't even know how to find cheese curds.

Penn Dutch has them. I've thought about getting some and making poutine, just never have yet.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:15 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,352,516 times
If Amazon doesn't have it, chances are Lucky Vitamin does. They have that coconut amino, along with lots of other obscure and uncommon dry goods.

If a recipe calls for a type of Brie cheese that I can't source locally, I'd just substitute a favorite similar cheese. Even Camembert.

Recipes in magazines are notorious for having a red herring ingredient. If it seems like it's worth the effort, I'll track it down or order online. If not, I'd just substitute a similar ingredient.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
Quote:
[/b]

Penn Dutch has them. I've thought about getting some and making poutine, just never have yet.
LOL! It has been over ten years and I can still remember the location of the cooler in Penn Dutch that has them and the various soft mozz. That store was the last place I could find reasonably priced lamb chops, and the fish there was REAL fresh fish. However, I think the store only has one or two locations, so just the mention of the name is a tease for most people on the forum.

Hmmm, I've got some cheese I bought from a farm in Tennessee that needs to be used... poutine... I like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes