U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 AM

21,578 posts, read 14,193,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Like YOUR recipe for PC...I make mine too, it's different almost every time depending on what's in the refrigerator...sugar makes the difference...

MUST use very sharp cheddar otherwise too bland. I like jalapenos in mine sometimes too. PC is my favorite sandwich filling...

I make most everything without a recipe now....veg chili, vegetable combos, pasta dishes, casseroles, etc. Just use a recipe when wanting a specific dish that's complicated...
Yes to all! Why the touch of sugar makes it so good, I don't know. I also agree about good sharpish cheddar added to cream cheese. While I don't remember adding jalapenos to pimiento cheese, I have made it with a few canned chipotles.

I think chopped parsley or cilantro,would be a nice touch as well.

I make chili without a recipe, unless I am trying something new. I often stir veggies together w/out recipe instructions. Casseroles, not so much, because I don't make them often anymore. I feel I need guidance, for the few times I make them.

Using the Instant Pot has forced me to rely on recipes more often though. So, the IP has changed the way I cook, in several ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 PM

4,107 posts, read 4,772,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Most things except cakes and cookies, I look up the recipes for them. I donít follow up the recipes closely, but just to refresh my memories.

Me Too

Cakes & Cookies or most anything like that has to be exact

Old 03-06-2019, 01:15 PM

38,396 posts, read 2,900,459 times
For baking I will follow a recipe, but for breakfast, lunch & dinner, I just cook & add ingredients.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:30 PM

509 posts, read 126,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Just about everything.

Really good pimento cheese is just grated cheese, pimentos, and Dukes mayo. It has to be Dukes.
Yes Dukes is the best

Old 03-06-2019, 03:33 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,537,485 times
I make a lot of things without a recipe but my dressing is the absolute best Iíve ever eaten. Everyone loves it.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:41 PM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times
Been making a project of teaching myself to bake, I follow recipes for baked goods very closely. Cooking wise. I rarely use recipes and even when I do I feel free to add/subtract/change ingredients and change methods to better suit my own tastes.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:15 PM

37,722 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Pretty much everything, except some elaborate ethnic dish I never ate before. But even then, most what I need is a good picture of the dish. Many years of home cooking and a vivid imagination pays off
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 AM

15,018 posts, read 18,874,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Most things except cakes and cookies, I look up the recipes for them. I don’t follow up the recipes closely, but just to refresh my memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Pretty much everything, except some elaborate ethnic dish I never ate before. But even then, most what I need is a good picture of the dish. Many years of home cooking and a vivid imagination pays off

Which explains why I rarely bake!

Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 PM

21,578 posts, read 14,193,916 times
I use recipes for Instant Pot cooking, but tonight its going to be leftovers thrown in with canned beans. There is no recipe. The very first supper I made in the IP was like that, and it was very good.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,665,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Which explains why I rarely bake!
Baking isnít that exact. I loosely follow a recipe whenever I bake. Sometimes looser (is that a word?) than others. I rarely have a failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or