Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 AM

107 posts, read 216,932 times

Advertisements

I have never made a cheesecake. I'm thinking about trying one for Christmas.

Any tips?

Any recipes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I like cheesecake to be very dense and cake-y, not soft or custard-y. No schmooey centers. I've made this recipe several times with good results:

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I use mini chips. It's a pretty cheesecake, if you plan on giving one as a gift or bringing it to a potluck.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM

107 posts, read 216,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I like cheesecake to be very dense and cake-y, not soft or custard-y. No schmooey centers. I've made this recipe several times with good results:

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake I Recipe - Allrecipes.com
That's the way I like my cheesecake too!

The chocolate chip cheesecake looks yummy! Thanks!!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
I'm going to make this cheesecake recipe soon-

Perfect Cheesecake Recipe | Simply Recipes

Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Here is one I have mede dozens of times and sent to dozens of peoples, it's dense and rich

For Filling

24 ounces Philly cream cheese
1-½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon of vanilla

For graham cracker crust

1-½ cups graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons melted Butter (unsalted preferred but not necessary)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Dash of cinnamon (optional)
Melt butter in microwave and combine all ingredients for crust in a small bowl using a fork or your fingers be sure all crumbs are moistened.
Form crumbs into an 8 inch round spring form pan use the bottom of a small drinking glass or fingers and compress crust mix as even as possible in the bottom of pan
Form some mixture ¾ of an inch or more up the sides of pan, refrigerate about 15 min’s

I always use a little more crumbs and butter

For Filling
** Important the following MUST be room temperature**
Cream together Cream cheese and sugar only mix until a creamy consistency is reached

**VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT OVER MIX ANYTHING IN THIS STAGE**

Add the eggs one at a time beating ONLY until each egg is BARELY mixed in
Add the vanilla extract and again lightly beat ONLY until vanilla is BARELY mixed in
Pour Filling into chilled crust and on counter top rotate pan back and forth in a semi circular motion so the air bubbles rise to the top only do this about 10 times and be gentle
Place pan on a cookie sheet and put in a PRE-HEATED 275 degree oven for 1-½ hours
Turn oven off after cooking time and leave in oven for 3 hours NO PEEKING!!!!!
Cool cake for 6 to 8 hours in refrigerator complete chilling is very important. Serve
This is often a two day ordeal unless you start it early in the morning.. ENJOY

Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
1. Use a cheesecake pan.
2. Put foil inside pan.
3. Put foil outside of pan.
4. Use a water bath in oven, hot water.
5. Don't use generic cream cheese, Philly is best.
6. Have all ingrediants at room temp when you start.
7. Use a food processor to pulverize graham cracker crust.
8. Have a Kitchen Aide Mixer to beat the eggs and cream cheese.
9. For some reason, making cheesecake messes up more kitchen utensils, and takes more time than you think. It is a project.
10. Use mini choc chips if you do a chip cake.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:05 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
My favorite cheesecake recipe is an 8 hour cheesecake. It has no crust and cooks at 200º for 8 hours. It is absolutely heaven.

2 pounds cream cheese at room temperature.

1 cup sugar
2 TBL vanilla
2 TBL cognac
2 TBL rum
5 large eggs

preheat oven to 200º use a spring form pan and line with parchment paper on the bottom and put put the ring on. Put parchment paper around the outside and wrap with aluminum foil. Butter the inside of the pan. Place spring form pan in larger pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese till soft and smooth. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla, cognac and rum. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Pour mixture into spring form pan. Pour water into larger pan. Bake for 8 hours. Let cool for several hours to overnight on a rack.

This is nothing like your typical cheese cake, it never browns. It melts in your mouth.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
I made a delicious Pumpkin Cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I got the recipe from a Philly cream cheese ad in a magazine. The ginger cookie crust was fantastic

Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ke-recipe.html is a previous Cheesecake thread.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:34 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Here's my recipe for cheesecake:
Easy Cheesecake:
2 8oz packages of philly cream cheese
1 small polly o whole milk ricotta
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted butter
16 oz sour cream
Grease a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan. Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth with an electric mixer, add ricotta and the rest of the ingredients, adding sour crem last. I use an electric stand mixer and keep it running as I add the ingredients. I let it run until smooth and creamy. Bake 1 hour on 350 degrees, then shut off oven and leave cheesecake inside for 2 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR. Keep cake in spring form pan until completely cooled in the fridge. Before serving remove outer circle of pan and serve right on bottom of the pan. This does not have a crust on the bottom but you can make one if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes