U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 05:22 AM

1,181 posts, read 286,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
When do the rest of your errands and chores get done?
I'm afraid I am part of the gruop that doesn't have much time or energy for very involved recipes right now. When I was a HS student, and again as a SAHM, I had more time and enjoyed making things more than I do right now. I am looking forward to retiring in a few years so that I can spend more time in the kitchen and in the garden.
I plan way ahead and have plenty of ingredients on hand, including two refrigerators with freezers and a chest deep freezer. Also my wife helps out and we share the prep work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 05:26 AM

1,181 posts, read 286,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't live to eat, I eat to live and I have many other hobbies besides food. How do you spend 2 days on a dish when you only have Sundays - I sense a bit of exaggeration at one end or the other.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...rk-dish-4.html

Old 04-05-2019, 05:56 AM

71,591 posts, read 83,124,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I've read many posts where folks have said a particular dish/preparation is just too much work. Personally, if I can get the ingredients and I want to make it, I will. I make Thai curry pastes at home and made a chicken mole from scratch. I make homemade sausages involving grinding, spicing, stuffing and smoking, usually a two day process. I find the results worth the effort. Where do you draw the line?

This is a very personal thing with no right answer. For some people who work long hours or do not have a lot of time too much work could mean 1/2 hour prep. For those who have plenty of time and love the kitchen all day may not be too much work. I do have to admit, even though I have time, the older I get the less energy I have to preparing dishes. I love to cook, do most from scratch but also depend of packages mixes more than I used to. Would a 2 day process be too long? that would depend on how much time was actually spent in preparation? If you are talking 2 whole days in the kitchen, no way. If you are talking about 2 days from beginning to end including shopping, wait time, etc. that is different. I can' actually put a time on what is too much. I doubt many of us can.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM

472 posts, read 93,615 times
Dogboa doesn't always work 6 days a week. The second job is fairly seasonal and he doesn't generally have work when there are long weekends. Case in point, he doesn't have a job today, but does tomorrow. So, we are going to cut up and spice pork for andouille today. Sunday, we'll grind and stuff, then he'll smoke, and we'll freeze some in bulk for raw, unsmoked use.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 AM

12,667 posts, read 8,602,952 times
I think if someone is serious enough about their food, then no preparation time is too much to get the most out of ingredients and having the dishes come out close to expectations.

Take BBQ, majority of people that I know spends the least amount of time doing the prep work. I invited my relatives and family to BBQ, they loved my chicken and ribs. I told them it took me hours to prep all the food, they could't understand why I didn't just open the package of meats and just drop it on the grill.

Then it wouldn't taste so good if I just keep it simple and take meats out of packages and go direct on the grill.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 AM

1,843 posts, read 1,929,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I've read many posts where folks have said a particular dish/preparation is just too much work. Personally, if I can get the ingredients and I want to make it, I will. I make Thai curry pastes at home and made a chicken mole from scratch. I make homemade sausages involving grinding, spicing, stuffing and smoking, usually a two day process. I find the results worth the effort. Where do you draw the line?
It depends how much time I have. I work full time and my only time of cooking is in the weekends. I dont make sausages and stuff. I love to cook. Maybe when I retire I would really make everything from scratch.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:06 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,806,675 times
question for those of you that cook --- don't you "pre-taste" in your mind how certain ingredients together will turn out and those are the ones that go on your "to cook" list?

I post on Pinterest and most of my pins have to do with food/recipes. Sometimes I go searching for something specific and other times I come across a recipe that looks interesting. I go to the interesting recipe and read the ingredients and if they don't seem to make sense I don't post it and go searching for one that does. It has to "taste" good to me first.

It's like all the recipes that I see that dump cream cheese in them- for no reason. It didn't add anything to the recipe except making it more simple to make than using an ingredient that would taste better. It also disguises the flavor of the other ingredients. There are times to use cream cheese of course, but certainly not in everything.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Just got done cutting up and spicing about 16 pounds of pork for andouille. We'll probably grind, stuff and smoke Sunday, with at least a couple of pounds bagged for uncooked bulk. It took about 2 hours doing most of it by myself, though Dogboa ground some spices for me and helped with the bagging. That's enough for 16-18 meals depending on amount used. He likes to use the bulk as part of the meat in burgers and meatloaves.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
question for those of you that cook --- don't you "pre-taste" in your mind how certain ingredients together will turn out and those are the ones that go on your "to cook" list?

I post on Pinterest and most of my pins have to do with food/recipes. Sometimes I go searching for something specific and other times I come across a recipe that looks interesting. I go to the interesting recipe and read the ingredients and if they don't seem to make sense I don't post it and go searching for one that does. It has to "taste" good to me first.

It's like all the recipes that I see that dump cream cheese in them- for no reason. It didn't add anything to the recipe except making it more simple to make than using an ingredient that would taste better. It also disguises the flavor of the other ingredients. There are times to use cream cheese of course, but certainly not in everything.
I don't know if I'd call it "pre-taste" but I can look at a recipe and nearly always tell if we are going to like it or not. We might not always "love" it, but at least it's almost always good enough to eat. I've had fails of course, even a few spectacular ones over the years, but they are few and far between.

Funny you should mention cream cheese. We wanted dessert night before last, but I wanted something fairly simple to make. We had a yellow cake mix and I thought about gooey butter cake, but then realized we didn't have any cream cheese, so went searching for an alternative. Found one that uses lots of butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, a bit of flour in place of the cream cheese based topping. We both like it better without the cream cheese, it's even richer tasting.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,806,675 times
ah yes, cream cheese swirled in brownies....butter cake ----yes....those are the ones.
But I would have to go out and purchase cream cheese! LOL!!

but see...that butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and a bit of flour sounds like it will taste so much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or