Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:29 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times

Advertisements

I've read many posts where folks have said a particular dish/preparation is just too much work. Personally, if I can get the ingredients and I want to make it, I will. I make Thai curry pastes at home and made a chicken mole from scratch. I make homemade sausages involving grinding, spicing, stuffing and smoking, usually a two day process. I find the results worth the effort. Where do you draw the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Right, if you love cooking AND know what you're doing then you just don't measure it in amount of work.
Of course if you don't have time or are tired, then you want to cook fast and simple dishes, but otherwise complicated and time consuming dishes are challenging and rewarding.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:43 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I've read many posts where folks have said a particular dish/preparation is just too much work. Personally, if I can get the ingredients and I want to make it, I will. I make Thai curry pastes at home and made a chicken mole from scratch. I make homemade sausages involving grinding, spicing, stuffing and smoking, usually a two day process. I find the results worth the effort. Where do you draw the line?
I simply don't enjoy cooking, nor the cleanup that goes along with it. I'm certainly not going to make my own curry pastes or mole from scratch. I'm perfectly happy buying sausages.

If a recipe has more than ten or so ingredients, I'm probably not going to make it.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
For me, it's not about how much work a certain dish is but rather how much time it takes to prepare. I like to cook and don't mind the work. However I work full time at a regular job and on my day or days off, I need to do laundry, grocery shop, make some kind of effort to clean the house and do some yard work as well. It's very hard to make a dish that takes several hours or has a big clean up factor and have time and energy to do much else.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I do sometimes make sausages, but patties only, I am not going to mess with casings. I have no desire to make curry or mole pastes from scratch, there is only so much time in a day, & I do not want to spend it all in the kitchen. Mostly I want to have easy prep, so I avoid dishes that look complicated or require something I may never use again.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I simply don't enjoy cooking, nor the cleanup that goes along with it. I'm certainly not going to make my own curry pastes or mole from scratch. I'm perfectly happy buying sausages.

If a recipe has more than ten or so ingredients, I'm probably not going to make it.
Me either. My husband is the cook or it would be very simple. I like baking. Not doing much lately, but I wouldn't care how much time and effort went into it. You have to enjoy it or what's the point?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:51 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
It really depends on how much time I have. Sometimes I make homemade pasta, and a sauce from scratch, sometimes I grab some boxed pasta and a couple spoonfuls of jarred pesto and call it good. I enjoy cooking but life does get in the way at times.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I enjoy cooking and when it's something I really want to make, the amount of work doesn't matter. It just seems that most of what I make doesn't take more than a couple of hours. My husband is the one who has been tempted to make more time-consuming dishes. He has made mole sauce, homemade pasta, Bo Ssam, and Peking Duck, because he enjoys the process.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
A high number of ingredients will make me feel tired before even starting....

Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
It depends on how much time I have and the occasion. For everyday meals I like it simple and fast. On a weekend, especially if I'm entertaining, I may make pasta from scratch or spend 2 days making croissants.

I can't ever see myself making sausages though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes