Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times

Advertisements

Every time I try to bring up how to make tacos in the hard shell I get how to make hard shell tacos. I don't want to make the shells since I will buy them at the store hard. I would like to know the ingredients of how to make the stuff that goes into the tacos. Beef of course. But any recipe on hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 11:40 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I buy the large bottle of taco seasoning at Costco, & add extra cumin, as I love it, fry meat with the taco seasonings & add some chopped fresh tomatoes. I normally put meat, avocado, lettuce & sour ream or yogurt on mine & top with cilantro. There are a ton of recipes online, you can also make your own taco seasoning. But most stores sell the small packs too.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Taco fillings: https://www.google.com/search?q=taco...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Taco beef recipe: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...63.y6v7efp_JJg

Old 04-26-2019, 08:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
You can always mix your own taco filling seasoning from individual spices (and there are people who post here who will tell you that you can't possibly consider doing anything else, or you're not a "real" cook)...most premixed taco seasonings include ingredients like salt, garlic, dried and crushed chili pepper, dried jalapeno, sometimes Spanish paprika, cumin, cilantro, black pepper, Mexican oregano, etc. Or, you can purchase the premixed if you don't have a well-stocked spice cabinet. Various brands sell packets in grocery stores. I like Penzeys, myself, by the jar or bulk bag.

I sometimes use beef, sometimes use chicken.

I tend to cook the meat in the seasoning, and add all the other ingredients/toppings separately. When my husband makes tacos, he likes to add beans, whether pintos or black beans, in with the meat, but I keep them separate.

On my tacos, I like chopped tomato, chopped white onion, fresh cilantro, a little shredded cheese sometimes, sour cream, guac, a variety of salsa/hot sauce...

Old 04-27-2019, 06:09 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times
Most of the time when you buy taco shells, depending on if they're from a boxed brand (Ortega), you get a package of Taco seasoning. You basically take a 1lb of meat, fry it until it's brown. Turn heat down to medium and add 1/4c of water and seasoning package.

While that is simmering, dice tomatoes, onions; smooth out some guacamole; make some pico de gallo with tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, onions and lime juice.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Tacos aren't complicated. Get a $1 taco seasoning packet and follow the instructions. You'll need beef.

The rest are veggies and cheese of your choice. Maybe sour cream or a little salsa

Old 04-27-2019, 07:35 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times
I fill them with many different things. Texican shreeded pork, carnitas, chicken with green chili, etc. Lately I'm more interested in soft tacos with corn tortillas and puffy tacos. Condiments are crema, pico di gallo, pickled red onions, fresh cilantro, Mexican crumbling cheese and pickled jalapenos. A nice homemade guac with chips as a side.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
2 cups dry pinto beans, one 3 pound pork shoulder, 3 dried ancho chili pods, 1 tablespoon cumin, a tiny pinch of oregano, 2 chopped onions, a large can of diced green chilies, plus one diced green bell pepper if you like a strong pepper flavor.

The night before, pick through the beans, clean them, rinse, cover with water in the crock pot to soak.

The next morning, add all the other ingredients and turn the crock pot on to cook all day.

that night, pull out the pork and shred it.

Place shredded pork, shredded lettuce, grated cheddar or jack cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream, in that order, into your commercially prepared taco shells.

Serve a scoop of the beans on the side, or you can put some of the beans into the taco.

Note: you have to pull the stems and seeds out of the dried anchos before you use them.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajinderS View Post
Hi,
Taco is one of my favorite dish item. Thanks for sharing these delicious recipes with us.
I have to share this recipe, which I made tonight: blackened salmon tacos, with black bean and corn salsa, and cilantro crema.

Salmon I used 1/4c of butter, brushed onto the salmon, onion powder, 2tbls paprika and cayenne pepper, 1/4tsp oregano and basil, 1/4tsp thyme, 1/4tsp black and white pepper, 2tsp salt.

Crema: 2-3tbls chopped cilantro; 1/2c sour-cream; two stalks green onions, chopped; 1 serrano pepper, deseeded and chopped. I put this into my hand blender until it was creamy.

Salsa: 3tbls Franks Red-hot and Red Wine vinegar; One ear of corn; 1c black beans (dried); one large tomato, diced; 1/4c olive oil; 1/2tsp chili powder; 1tsp salt; 1-3tbls chopped cilantro; two stalks green onions, chopped.
https://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/corn-and-black-bean-salsa

This combination was pretty good. If anything, they will be good on their own, too.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Every time I try to bring up how to make tacos in the hard shell I get how to make hard shell tacos. I don't want to make the shells since I will buy them at the store hard. I would like to know the ingredients of how to make the stuff that goes into the tacos. Beef of course. But any recipe on hand?

Regardless of the recipe, you cannot make tacos that have any authentic je ne sais quoi without using one of these:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes