Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 01:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

https://www.pork.org/

Don’t go to this site if you are a vegetarian! But if you want information on cooking a pork cut, this is a good place to go.

My market sells pork sirloin roasts, which I had never encountered, at least by that name. Cookbooks don’t say much about the loin roast, usually skipping right to tenderloin. There is info on this site about the pork sirloin, and all things pork. Click the place setting icon to access all the recipes and information you might need.

I’ve pinned this for myself.

I decided I’d share this site for fellow carnivores.

Perhaps you will find it helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Thank you for this. I usually cook pork sirloin in my crockpot and chops on the stovetop but all my recipes are pretty basic. This gives me all sorts of inspirations. Bookmarked it - now I need to get some chops when I go shopping tomorrow. I just did a roast last week and what's left is in the freezer waiting to be turned into tacos.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I cook pork loin in my Instant Pot. Slice it into 2" thick sections, rub with a bbq rub or other spice blend, place on trivet, add cooking liquid (I use cider vinegar or beer usually), and pressure cook for 60 min, then NR and shred with a fork. Makes perfect pulled pork or shredded pork tacos.

I used to cook it in the crock pot and it was good that way too, but better in the pressure cooker because the meat doesn't come out as dry.

I noticed a few years back that pork is often cheaper than chicken, and always cheaper than beef, so it's good to learn more ways to cook it.

My favorite is still tenderloin though.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I don't bother with pork loin...tho I am sure there are ways, like dry white breast and turkey meat to cook it so it's moist and tender...I mean I can do that, too.
But, I like chicken dark meat, so love a Picnic Roast/Shoulder roast...hours cooking with spices in a turkey bag and you touch it and it falls apart tender every time...
stabbing it and pushing the spices into the middle of the roast, of course. Yum!
If it is not fall apart tender ...cook it another hour or 2 in the bag.

Don't be mad at me white meat lovers!

Old 04-18-2019, 03:11 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,953 times
Thanks for that link; I am going to check it out.

Mr. Daynet and I enjoy roast pork and pork chops. Ground pork, too.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
on that link is a symbol "pork check off" there is also a "beef check off" web site call beefretail.com
the check off program ….is that for every head of pork of beef one dollar goes into the check off program.....and this is what funds this websites

ive got hundreds of posters and brochures to put in my stores for recipes and education.

pork roasts.....roast pork is one of my all time favorite.....the old bone in sirloin and blade pork roasts are delicious..
the challenge with pork is....that thru the last 40 yrs people demanding "lean & low fat" the pigs/hogs are 30% leaner and remember fat is flavor.....the number one selling pork item is lean boneless pork chops.... and because they are lean....not a lot of flavor..

the pork butts are making a comeback.... a growing number of food hobbyists/enthusiasts....of smoking there own meat...or making your own sausage …

pork is cheap....has been for quite a few years...… pigs birth 10-12 piglets compared to 1-2 beef calves...

I eat a lot of pork love my instapot with pork butts....for pulled pork......they go on sale for .99lb... I stock up

the center cut bone in chops are actually making a comeback....with the bone theirs more flavor ..

the usda recommends to cook pork to 145f the old standard was 160....and ...even in this day ...there's many many that overcook pork because of the old wives tale of trichinosis...

fresh pork bellies (what they make bacon from) is becoming popular as a menu staple in restaurants...very flavorful!! and this does drive up the cost of bacon

thanks for posting this link and for the thread.....ive used the pork people /porkboard.org use to be the nppc ...for 30 yrs.... lots of good information...

when we have our big foodshows….the porkboard will send brochures and posters

Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
on that link is a symbol "pork check off" there is also a "beef check off" web site call beefretail.com
the check off program ….is that for every head of pork of beef one dollar goes into the check off program.....and this is what funds this websites

ive got hundreds of posters and brochures to put in my stores for recipes and education.

pork roasts.....roast pork is one of my all time favorite.....the old bone in sirloin and blade pork roasts are delicious..
the challenge with pork is....that thru the last 40 yrs people demanding "lean & low fat" the pigs/hogs are 30% leaner and remember fat is flavor.....the number one selling pork item is lean boneless pork chops.... and because they are lean....not a lot of flavor..

the pork butts are making a comeback.... a growing number of food hobbyists/enthusiasts....of smoking there own meat...or making your own sausage …

pork is cheap....has been for quite a few years...… pigs birth 10-12 piglets compared to 1-2 beef calves...

I eat a lot of pork love my instapot with pork butts....for pulled pork......they go on sale for .99lb... I stock up

the center cut bone in chops are actually making a comeback....with the bone theirs more flavor ..

the usda recommends to cook pork to 145f the old standard was 160....and ...even in this day ...there's many many that overcook pork because of the old wives tale of trichinosis...

fresh pork bellies (what they make bacon from) is becoming popular as a menu staple in restaurants...very flavorful!! and this does drive up the cost of bacon

thanks for posting this link and for the thread.....ive used the pork people /porkboard.org use to be the nppc ...for 30 yrs.... lots of good information...

when we have our big foodshows….the porkboard will send brochures and posters
Thanks. We’ve eaten more pork in the last few years because beef is more expensive, and I find it does not taste as good as it used to, at least to me. At my local WINCO I frequently find specials on pork sirloin two packs. Every time I cook one I have to root around the internet to find cooking instructions. I learned more from reading on this site than I have any other place.

(Hey, I’ve got a flatiron steak in my freezer. Can you tell me how to cook it? )

Old 04-18-2019, 05:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Thanks. We’ve eaten more pork in the last few years because beef is more expensive, and I find it does not taste as good as it used to, at least to me. At my local WINCO I frequently find specials on pork sirloin two packs. Every time I cook one I have to root around the internet to find cooking instructions. I learned more from reading on this site than I have any other place.

(Hey, I’ve got a flatiron steak in my freezer. Can you tell me how to cook it? )
flat irons are one of the best steaks on the critter and it comes from the chuck!

they usually aren't too thick …. you can pan sear the flat iron or grill,,

the flat irons look like this ….some places like Walmart call top blade steaks flat irons...which isn't correct

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat  iron  steaks     22222.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	210107

boneless pork sirloins are lean....not a lot of flavor.....the bone in sirloin roast tastes much better

Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

When I ran a large commercial kitchen in the early 80s, we used a substantial amount of fresh (non smoked) hams and literally a half-ton of chicken a week. Nearly all of the ham had substantial fat caps.

In the past 35 years, the pork is MUCH leaner and the chicken is substantial fattier. I spend more time cleaning chicken these days than in the past.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:31 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
OMG. That swine looks delicious in those recipe links. I gave up pork once I turned 30 (couple of months ago), but may have to cheat to try some of those recipes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes