U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:26 PM

7,092 posts, read 9,286,583 times

Advertisements

A classic on the subject is American Regional Cookery by Sheila Hibben. It does organize the recipes by state. For a more updated selection of recipes I cannot recommend Fashionable Food: Seven Decades Of Food Fads by Sylvia Lovegren too highly.

That's the good food. For the really lousy food you want The Can-Opener Cookbook by Poppy Cannon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 05:39 PM

250 posts, read 57,152 times
The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American, is a very good cookbook for regional cooking in America.

I know Jeff Smith was rumored to be guilty of sexual abuse allegations, but his books and TV shows were huge in teaching people how to enjoy cooking great ethnic and traditional meals.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 PM

38,023 posts, read 2,863,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American, is a very good cookbook for regional cooking in America.

I know Jeff Smith was rumored to be guilty of sexual abuse allegations, but his books and TV shows were huge in teaching people how to enjoy cooking great ethnic and traditional meals.
I loved his show, & i had a couple of his cookbooks, they were fun recipes. I have no idea if the rumors were true.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 PM

250 posts, read 57,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I loved his show, & i had a couple of his cookbooks, they were fun recipes. I have no idea if the rumors were true.
Without a doubt his show led me into being a better cook. And I was gifted with four of his books, all of them wonderful. I was saddened to hear those rumors, it's always terrible when people we look up to....fail themselves and their families!

Old 04-22-2019, 11:32 PM

9,898 posts, read 6,229,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWLLN View Post
Howdy from Europe!
I m interested to learn american typicalies dishies
I don t know what cookbook is more complete to buy and read it

I d like to find some book which there are recipes from each other states (their typicaly cuisine of each one)
and i wanna know too, if there is any youtube channel o blog which would be ok to leaf through...
I m interested in cajun cuisine too (if you can tell me any book about cajun food too...)

Thanks a bunch and so long
An oldie, but a goodie. When my mother in law gave me a copy of this book, I thought to myself why is she giving me this old book (I believe it's from 1967). Well, it's a treasure grove of recipes from all over the country. Now mine and it's binding is held together with tape, that's how much I used it. It has no fail recipes from across the country, a real gem.

America Cooks: The General Federation of Womens Clubs Cook Book

Author: Ann Seranne

Last edited by elan; 04-22-2019 at 11:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 AM

6,173 posts, read 3,496,732 times
And how about recipes from the White House and the Legislature cookbooks that are printed from time to time?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM

21,465 posts, read 14,111,954 times
You have a wealth of choices! I agree about BHG cookbooks and The Joy of Cooking. Either or both have good, American style recipes.

I also like this book: https://www.ebay.com/p/The-American-...66d6daffe92e96

The recipes purport to be for dishes first prepared in the 20th Century. There are sidebars showing historical developments in food prep and kitchens. I bought it because the author, Jean Anderson, included all the dishes I grew up eating and those I cooked early in my marriage.

At any rate books with recipes for American food abound.

You might also enjoy researching barbeque recipes, which differ from state to state, usually in the American South. And there are some regional foods you could Google: from my hometown, St. Louis, MO—Gooey Butter Cake, and Toasted Ravioli. I am sure others here can give you regional dishes to Google.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM

7,092 posts, read 9,286,583 times
Silibran's post just reminded me of the Cornbread Nation series. There are 7 of those books, all terrific. All kinds of regional home cooking with a focus on barbecue and their traditional side dishes, but lots of side trips into other regional cooking.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:24 AM

1,181 posts, read 285,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We have 2 sets of his cookbooks, one paperback and the other hardback (an inheritance from my oldest brother). He had my oma's sauerbraten recipe that was lost when his home was destroyed by hurricane Charlie, so I use Jeff's recipe as a base.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:10 PM

34,980 posts, read 10,307,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The Junior League cookbooks from each state (city) are excellent sources for regional cooking.

Especially from the south.

Great suggestion. One of my favorites is Applehood and Mother Pie, our Rochester Junior League cookbook. It's very popular, has had many reprints, and is now a paperback, but I have the 1981 original with the "cooking stand" cover. The regional JL cookbooks are a treasure.

I also like the Garden Club /Church cookbooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or