Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's has a frozen Tempura Cauliflower, I like the concept and the taste but when made as directed the florets are quite watery. I just tried another recipe that batters the florets and oven bakes them with the same result, tasty but a bit watery. Anyone have a recipe (hopefully not requiring a deep fryer) that yields crispy florets? Maybe I should be looking at an air-fryer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
We LOVE this parm crusted cauliflower with agliata from Chef Anne Burrell. We like to have it as part of a tapas meal.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
We like crispy cauliflower, too. For us, the key is to pre-cook the cauliflower, let it cool and dry, and THEN batter and cook it.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trader Joe's has a frozen Tempura Cauliflower, I like the concept and the taste but when made as directed the florets are quite watery. I just tried another recipe that batters the florets and oven bakes them with the same result, tasty but a bit watery. Anyone have a recipe (hopefully not requiring a deep fryer) that yields crispy florets? Maybe I should be looking at an air-fryer?
Like many other vegetables, Cauliflower is full of water. You will never get crispy if they are full of moisture. I would bake them unseasoned, uncovered for a good while at a low temperature to dry (dehydrate) them, then batter and fry. Also, maybe if you cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces that may help. Perhaps if you use club soda and rice flour/cornstarch that also may help. Oil Temperature may make a difference, higher is better, maybe 375f?

The air fryer may help, it's certainly not as much oil so it is healthier.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
We LOVE this parm crusted cauliflower with agliata from Chef Anne Burrell. We like to have it as part of a tapas meal.

Sounds tasty, I just try to avoid frying in deep oil when I can, I haven't mastered how to do it without making a mess.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Like many other vegetables, Cauliflower is full of water. You will never get crispy if they are full of moisture. I would bake them unseasoned, uncovered for a good while at a low temperature to dry (dehydrate) them, then batter and fry. Also, maybe if you cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces that may help. Perhaps if you use club soda and rice flour/cornstarch that also may help. Oil Temperature may make a difference, higher is better, maybe 375f?

The air fryer may help, it's certainly not as much oil so it is healthier.

I thought about trying to dehydrate it a bit but thought that might make it too overcooked and mushy? I've never used an air fryer, can it be done with battered items?

Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
We like crispy cauliflower, too. For us, the key is to pre-cook the cauliflower, let it cool and dry, and THEN batter and cook it.

Have you found it can be done in an oven or must there be somewhat deep oil?

Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Sounds tasty, I just try to avoid frying in deep oil when I can, I haven't mastered how to do it without making a mess.

Maybe baking at a higher temp would help...I don't recall my baked cauliflower as watery.

Another possible trick....toss cauliflower with olive oil, panko, parmesan cheese, bake at high temp. Mine comes out crispy and delicious.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
I thought about trying to dehydrate it a bit but thought that might make it too overcooked and mushy? I've never used an air fryer, can it be done with battered items?
Yes. You could also use Panko bread crumbs as mentioned, that always turns out crispy.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Maybe baking at a higher temp would help...I don't recall my baked cauliflower as watery.

I usually saute it in olive oil with some cumin and S&P, good both hot & cold. Just been looking for other ways to try as I like cauliflower. Have made the following and enjoyed it:

Recipe: Anthony Bourdain's Roasted Cauliflower - The Crepes of Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Another possible trick....toss cauliflower with olive oil, panko, parmesan cheese, bake at high temp. Mine comes out crispy and delicious.

I may have to try that, still have ~ 1/2 head left from my other experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes