Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times

Advertisements

One of our family fall backs is a sort of Waldorf Salad using whipped cream instead of mayo. Very good, people always like it.

Also, a lemon pudding, a potato and cheese dish (not exactly au gratin), and a "green" salad of sliced kiwi, white grapes (actually green), and green apple sweetened with yogurt.

What are some of your favorites?

What are you happy to see at a potluck?

Anything you avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
WHAT I BRING

Homemade lemon bars
Crockpot meatballs, the ones made with grape jelly and Russian dressing
Pan de elote
Chile relleno casserole
Homemade albondigas soup

WHAT I LIKE TO SEE

Any ethnic or regional main dish, as long as it's homemade
Homemade desserts, NOT store-bought pies and cookies. That shows no effort or thought
Homemade breads and rolls, jams, jellies, relish, preserves, whatever

WHAT I AVOID

Salads in general
Anything with too much mayo, vinegar or sour cream. Too much for me isn't a lot
Store-bought stuff

Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 PM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
Canna-butter or my famous canna-lollipops.

I have strange friends.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,992 times
my wife....

and what ever she has made and put in one of those aluminum trays.....

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
A lot depends on the travel distance. If it is long distance we may bring the paper goods and plastic ware. Close to home maybe potato salad or a pot of Fordhook Lima beans.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
You guys are making me hungry.
Unless there is a suggestion from the host I bring fresh fruit. My usual is fresh pineapple spears and what ever else is in season (strawberries, kiwis) as you can always count on someone else bringing the meat and veggies.
The "green salad" sounds very nice and would make a beautiful presentation. Those meatballs from Fontacky must be really good!
I appreciate when people do take the time and make homemake breads and desserts (anything with lemon is going to be a winner).
Let's eat!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
I like to bring Slab Apple Pie. It is made in a sheet pan with a carmelized apple juice frosting and is sturdy enough to hold in your hand. I started making that and now nobody wants me to bring anything else.

I also like to make Drunken Beans. It is made with pinto beans, dark beer, and chorizo. It tastes way better than your average pot of beans.

I don't like when people bring store bought stuff, or food that looks and tastes like no love went in to it.

I like to try new things at potlucks, and maybe get the recipe if I like it.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
German Potato Salad with delicious bacon/apple cider dressing, whole mustard seeds, green onions. The best part is that it doesn't require immediate refrigeration....and bacon! Did I mention bacon?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Not being one to cook for large groups I usually put together a snack tray. I usually have polish sasuage, green and black olives, a couple types of cheese, celery, radishes, cucumbers, and whatever other vegies I have at the time.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
One of our family fall backs is a sort of Waldorf Salad using whipped cream instead of mayo. Very good, people always like it.

Also, a lemon pudding, a potato and cheese dish (not exactly au gratin), and a "green" salad of sliced kiwi, white grapes (actually green), and green apple sweetened with yogurt.

What are some of your favorites?

What are you happy to see at a potluck?

Anything you avoid?
Usually I take creamed potatoes, green beans and bacon, potato salad, or homemade chocolate chip cookies.

I'm happy to see any or all of these: ham, turkey, deviled eggs, and assorted casseroles and desserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes