U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM

809 posts, read 193,789 times

Advertisements

I don't do a lot of cooking but I would like to learn more. I have a day off & I'm looking to make a nice dinner for my boyfriend tonight which would impress ...but not be too hard to prepare. I have to start slow..Lol. Anyone have favorite recipes they could share? I also plan to scour the internet....but I thought it was worth a try to ask here too....thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 AM

2,677 posts, read 6,237,964 times
Red face hmmmm...

I would suggest Chicken Cacciatori (sp). Easy and delicious not to mention really impressive to serve.
Koale

ps. sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 AM

26,846 posts, read 5,742,047 times
Beef burgundy...

Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times
I'd suggest Guinness braised short-ribs over buttered egg noodles but dishes like that are usually better after a night in the fridge. Perhaps a good shrimp scampi recipe over pasta? Easily made and a nice meal with some good bread and a nice salad.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM

809 posts, read 193,789 times
Thank you for some really *good* ideas! Never thought of shrimp scampi......

Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,524,965 times
Chicken Divan was my go to frequently in the day. You can do this as quickly or get as involved with the ingredients as you wish. And if you have a nice looking 9"x13" the presentation is impressive.

I fed about twenty of my daughter's hippy friends home from a road trip one time with this inexpensive but impressive and quick filling meal:

Boil fettucine, drain and toss with S&P, olive oil, parmesan. Top each plate with a couple of shrimps, a couple of slices of braised red bell pepper and some fresh herbs. Make a ton of garlic bread and salad and finish up with a homemade cake.

Stir some canned cooked wild rice and mushrooms into your favorite meat loaf recipe to dress it up.

Bake good and large baking potatoes. Set out toppings. You can buy frozen broccoli with cheese sauce, canned chili, mini-meatballs in gravy, taco meat and shredded cheese, etc. The possibilities are endless and people like this.

These days a nice lasagna can be made by just buying and layering the ingredients. Add a little something to give it a personal touch - parsley and rose-cut cherry tomatoes garnish, a lattice of pepperoni strips, etc.

Speaking of lattices, I've begun to weave my bacon for bacon cheeseburgers 3x3 and bake them in the oven for an impressive topping to burgers. A bun that say "you thought about me" from a bakery and a few out-of-the-ordinary toppings will bring compliments - a jar of roasted red peppers and olive relish, smoked gouda, bleu cheese, feta, etc.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 PM

1,249 posts, read 883,494 times
Default Chicken Stroganoff

This is easy to make and it's delicious.

Chicken Stroganoff

1 lb chicken bits and pieces
1⁄2 cup onion
1 teaspoon garlic
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup sour cream
egg noodles (cooked)

DIRECTIONS

Cook chicken bits and pieces.
Add onions and cook until onions are translucent.
Drain grease.
Stir in condensed soup, then garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Allow to simmer until all other parts of meal are prepared.
Minutes before it's time to serve, stir in the sour cream completely and heat through.
Serve over egg noodles.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 PM

38,401 posts, read 2,900,459 times
Is he a beef, chicken or seafood person? I would try & find out which protein he prefers & go from there, but of course any dish made with love, should be well received.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM

3,492 posts, read 5,155,513 times
For maximum flavor in any dish with pasta, add 1 Tablespoon of salt to the cooking water as soon as it starts to boil. Then add the pasta. Makes a world of difference.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM

1,249 posts, read 883,494 times
Default Creamy Pork Pasta

Here is what I'm making tonight; it's easy to prepare as well, and tasty.

Creamy Pork Pasta*

Ingredients

cubed pieces of cooked pork
2 cloves garlic thinly sliced or minced, sauteed
sauteed sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese plus extra for serving
pasta shapes

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and begin cooking the pasta according to package directions for al dente.

Hear some margarine or oil into large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pan and stir until tender. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to release the browned bits that were stuck. Pour in the heavy cream and return to a boil until the cream is slightly thicker. Add the pork to the pan, toss to coat, then add the grated cheese.

If the mixture is too creamy, add a little water.

Add the pasta to the pan. Toss to evenly distribute, and melt the cheese. Serve with extra grated cheese.

* This would work with leftover ham as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or