Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This is the closest recipe I've found to what My English mother and grandmother made. I use it frequently.

Keys to success:

Lard, duck fat or chicken fat in the cups, heated very hot BEFORE filling the cups with batter. Butter can be used, with a somewhat interior result. Never oil or margerine.

Do not over mix the batter. A few lumps are okay.

Don't overfill the cups.

Rest the batter covered, in the fridge for 30-60 minutes prior to cooking. (I tried Serious Eats recommendations for longer resting period. It is ONE of the very few times I've disagreed with Kenji.)
Can you substitute shortening or is the animal fat really the key?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Can you substitute shortening or is the animal fat really the key?
I've never even purchased shortening so I can't say. But since vegetable/canola oil produces a lousy pudding, I'm guessing shortening wouldn't be much better. If you don't want to use animal fat, try using butter.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
This is the closest recipe I've found to what My English mother and grandmother made. I use it frequently.

Keys to success:

Lard, duck fat or chicken fat in the cups, heated very hot BEFORE filling the cups with batter. Butter can be used, with a somewhat interior result. Never oil or margerine.

Do not over mix the batter. A few lumps are okay.

Don't overfill the cups.

Rest the batter covered, in the fridge for 30-60 minutes prior to cooking. (I tried Serious Eats recommendations for longer resting period. It is ONE of the very few times I've disagreed with Kenji.)
Really? dont use oil. So much for Jamie Oliver's Food Tube then.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Really? dont use oil. So much for Jamie Oliver's Food Tube then.
Fair enough. Certainly, vegetable, sunflowrt, canoloa, etc oil will work. And I've used in a pinch.

But no animal fat = less flavor. The savory taste that I associate with Yorkshire pudding will be gone. And a different texture, IMO (which some may prefer).

very occasionally, I cook dinner that would make a cardiologist cringe: Toad in the Hole. In England, that refers to Yorkshire pudding cooked in a pan (not muffin cups) with whole sausages. Traditionally, it's banger sausages, but I don't care for their mealy texture, so I replace them with some other kind of sausage. And traditionally, it's served with onion gravy (but I prefer no gravy). In THAT dish, I do use oil. The fat from the sausages produces the savory flavor in the pudfing.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Certainly, vegetable, sunflowrt, canoloa, etc oil will work. And I've used in a pinch.

But no animal fat = less flavor. The savory taste that I associate with Yorkshire pudding will be gone. And a different texture, IMO (which some may prefer).

very occasionally, I cook dinner that would make a cardiologist cringe: Toad in the Hole. In England, that refers to Yorkshire pudding cooked in a pan (not muffin cups) with whole sausages. Traditionally, it's banger sausages, but I don't care for their mealy texture, so I replace them with some other kind of sausage. And traditionally, it's served with onion gravy (but I prefer no gravy). In THAT dish, I do use oil. The fat from the sausages produces the savory flavor in the pudfing.
I am not trying to critique anybody responses. I am seriously thinking about not listening to the celebrity chefs. I have tried a number of their recipes, and dont seem that great.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 PM

I finally got the puddings to rise up really high but only in the oven. As soon as I pulled it out, it collapsed.

I used less flour this time. But the pudding is very eggy. Its almost like the egg custards I get from Chinatown. It should be more doughy. But I afraid of using too much flour again. Last time there was no rise, and basically a muffin.

I also used half and half instead of milk this time. I really need a ratio for milk to flour to eggs.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Well anyone? What if I mixed different flours? Semolina I am told is more rigid. Will that help my pudding stay upright?

Also can I add things like peanut butter and jelly to the batter?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,082 times
On a recent episode of DDD, the chef cooked gruyere and black pepper popovers. The one thing that really surprised me was she used small cubes of cheese, not grated. She also used cooking spray for the pans. They were the highest puffing popovers I've ever seen. I'm going to try these later this week, but think I'll grate the cheese instead.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is the most important thing to remember when making big puffy, and gooey on the inside Yorkshire puddings?

I have been making yorkshire puddings recently, but cannot get the big puffy ones on Jamie Oliver Channel, or Marco Pierre White. Nor can I get the gooey inside. Instead mine are short like muffins, and the inside is dense like bread. So basically, I am baking bread muffins.

I use four eggs, and just pour in some milk, and then flour either semolina, or whole wheat. I think perhaps I am putting in too much flour. And that is why so dense inside, which is probably why not puffing enough.

It has to be the ratio of eggs to milk to flour. So do I need less flour and milk, or just more milk the more flour you need? Or can I just add in an extra egg. Or perhaps it is the oil I am using in the pan?
well, I can't say, but here's what I do.

I make certain everything is at room temp...before assembling....then I heat the muffin pans I'm making them in with grease first....when they start to smoke, I pour in the batter and bake?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
On a recent episode of DDD, the chef cooked gruyere and black pepper popovers. The one thing that really surprised me was she used small cubes of cheese, not grated. She also used cooking spray for the pans. They were the highest puffing popovers I've ever seen. I'm going to try these later this week, but think I'll grate the cheese instead.
Recipe please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes