Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM

19,391 posts, read 27,670,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
2 ways, one is the breaded and fried method which I don't think you're talking about.

The second is a pan sear. The 2 most important aspects of this are very high heat and very dry protein (be that steak, pork, chicken, ham, etc...). The heat need not come from cast iron, I do mine in stainless all the time (though absolutely avoid teflon/coated pans). A couple tricks for cooking this way, let the protein come to room temp for about an hour before cooking ~ this helps the inside come to temp without completely obliterating the outside. And once you put it in the pan, don't mess with it. That browning happens while the protein is stationary. It'll also probably stick at first, don't worry it Will release when it's ready to turn (so you can nudge it slightly from time to time).

Good luck

EXACTLY!

And specifically to pork: It should NOT be white on the inside. It should be pink. NOT red. Pink. If it's white, it's overdone and will definitely be dry and tough.

These photos are from Serious Eats related to their article about sous vide for pork tenderloin. The photos are great - medium or medium rare produces a great tasting, tender pork. Get into medium well or well done zone - yuk, even the dog can't chew on that. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-1500x1125.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 PM

32,543 posts, read 47,653,023 times
In my opinion, pork has the best texture and flavor when cooked only until it is barely done. You won't get good browning, but you will get a good tasting meal.

I also like caramelized pork, but I don't try to do pork chops that way. For that I use pork shoulder, which is rather fatty. I place the boneless shoulder chops or country ribs made from shoulder, into a cold pan, turn the heat on medium low, cover and let it cook. Leave it alone. After awhile the fat will render out the the meat will start to caramelize.

Let it get a bit crispy.

Excellent served with some corn tortillas and avocado.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Suggestion: if you want a bit of color with your lightly cooked pork chop, caramelize some onions and place a spoon full on top of the chop when you serve it. Place a bright red sliced tomato on the side.

Maybe a light sprinkling of freshly ground green peppercorn when you cook it. That gives excellent flavor and looks nice.

Pork generally turns out better when cooked at lower heat.... or slapped on the barbecue grill. Smoke and pork is an excellent combination.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:28 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,497,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Cast iron sear.

And Bacon Grease

Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,807,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Do a dry brine. Sear in a hot pan or broil in oven.

I coat raw chops with oil and rub a mix of coarse salt, raw sugar, and pepper and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for at least one hour, but preferably for three or more. Then I hand them to DH, who grills them on the grill. But for years, I broiled them and they always turned out delicious and browned.

I’ve moved to dry brining chops, steaks, and whole chickens and turkeys. You get so much flavor for so little effort.

I use twice as much sugar as salt, add peppercorns and grind in small grinder. I use a different rub for poultry.
I find dry brining makes the pork chops taste way too salty though

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Good pork chops are hard to find. I only buy the non-saline-injected chops and try to get ones that have a decent amount of fat, and not just on the edges. I agree with the poster who said that bone-in is better; the meat has more flavor and tends to be more tender.

If you can buy Mangalica pork, that is the tastiest, fattiest kind.

Let all meats sit a while at room temperature after taking them out of the fridge. I let them sit about 15-20 minutes, but we keep our house cooler than most Americans do.

Rolling the meat with a light coating of cornstarch works well for me. Also, contrary to the usual advice, I put the cooking oil in a pan right at the start of heating, turn it up only to medium or even medium-low, and then put the chops in. The idea is to let the meat cook without causing it to shrink upon contacting high heat. After a few minutes (depending on thickness), I get the brown surface by briefly cooking on high. Briefly. Then remove to a platter and let sit for a couple of minutes before eating it.
Is Mangalitsa the Wagyu of swine?

Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 AM

2,106 posts, read 969,701 times
And not to forget that carry over cooking time ......

Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
........Is Mangalitsa the Wagyu of swine?
Or at least, they are the Black Angus of swine.

It's red meat with marbling and a very heavy layer of fat. They look to me to just be old fashioned lard pigs, not anything new, but the marbled fat is going to make the meat juicy and tasty.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,421,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or at least, they are the Black Angus of swine.

It's red meat with marbling and a very heavy layer of fat. They look to me to just be old fashioned lard pigs, not anything new, but the marbled fat is going to make the meat juicy and tasty.
Hate to split hairs here but pork is actually considered white meat. In fact, their slogan is "The other white meat". It looks pink when raw and white when cooked.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 PM

48,408 posts, read 34,571,508 times
Cast iron, high heat, and blot all moisture off before putting in pan.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Hate to split hairs here but pork is actually considered white meat. In fact, their slogan is "The other white meat". It looks pink when raw and white when cooked.

Take a look. It is red meat. Some of the heritage pigs produce red meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes