U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,526,589 times

Advertisements

My mom taught me how to make pie when I was sixteen. It only took about thirty-five years to perfect the technique.

The best method is to have a grandma who can show you directly in the kitchen. No sure how many of those there are around anymore. They're all out having a latte with their yoga classes or scuba diving in Belize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 07:51 PM

3,743 posts, read 3,784,662 times
I've been making pies since I was 15 years old.....and I'm well into my 30s now. The hardest part is definitely the crust, but with enough practice you get a 'feel' for how it should feel. I always use a mix of lard + butter to get the most optimal flakiness/browning. You also learn how to work quickly to avoid letting the fat melt and need to make sure to use properly chilled water. The single easiest way I've learned how to handle dough that's rolled out is to fold it half like a taco. Then fold it again so that it is quartered. Take that and put it into the tin and unfold it. Works like a charm every time. If your crust is too dry or too wet it'll rip of course, but that can be patched. You'll get better over time just recognizing the propery consistency of dough.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM

1,097 posts, read 229,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I've been making pies since I was 15 years old.....and I'm well into my 30s now. The hardest part is definitely the crust, but with enough practice you get a 'feel' for how it should feel. I always use a mix of lard + butter to get the most optimal flakiness/browning. You also learn how to work quickly to avoid letting the fat melt and need to make sure to use properly chilled water. The single easiest way I've learned how to handle dough that's rolled out is to fold it half like a taco. Then fold it again so that it is quartered. Take that and put it into the tin and unfold it. Works like a charm every time. If your crust is too dry or too wet it'll rip of course, but that can be patched. You'll get better over time just recognizing the propery consistency of dough.
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip. Do you recommend blind baking the crusts?

Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,776,860 times
Don't over handle the dough. Don't use too much flour to roll it either, just enough to handle and move it.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM

35,145 posts, read 10,380,537 times
They made this lemon pie on Cook's Country a few days ago, and I almost started drooling.

I'll definitely be making it this summer (except for the topping; I'll do something else). The saltines for the crust is an interesting idea, too--sweet, sour, and salty. Yum.

https://www.blessthismessplease.com/...ina-lemon-pie/

Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,224,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

The article was full of suggestions I did not find useful, and Iím good at pies. The scraper is good for cleaning off your surface when youíre done, but thatís it.

Agree, I've never known what that scraper was for.

For me, my best pie tip is to buy one from a baker who specializes in pies.

Even if it is a friend.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

36,962 posts, read 45,404,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Agree, I've never known what that scraper was for.

For me, my best pie tip is to buy one from a baker who specializes in pies.

Even if it is a friend.
I make pies for my family, and special occasions. Would a French pastry chef make better ones? Maybe, but Iíve never had any complaints, and Iíve never had a better pie from a bakery than mine.

Crisco, butter, a bit of citrus, ripe fruit, sugar, and whatever is called for and it suits us fine.

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,219,854 times
currently, so few people make/bake pies,
that ANY pie you could make would be GREAT.
obviously, grading on the curve, here.

my Mother's Pecan Pie is the Gold Standard within our family and her church.
she calls it her "Michael Jordan". she's a Carolina fan, and NO player will EVER be better.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

132 posts, read 86,253 times
Funny story.. I was NEVER good at pie crusts, so i bought the rolled ones. They are fine, not as good as a good homemade crust though.

My daughter (she's 20 now), when she was 11 or so, i had sent her one summer to a baking /cooking camp. One of the weeks they spent making pies, scones and the like. Well, when i tasted her pie crust, holy crap.

Now anytime i need to bring a dessert and i'm in a pie mood (such as, blueberries are in season now!), i tell her to make me the crust. My pies get rave reviews, but it's really all about the crust. And she uses forks on the dough....

Old Today, 06:58 AM

36,962 posts, read 45,404,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Funny story.. I was NEVER good at pie crusts, so i bought the rolled ones. They are fine, not as good as a good homemade crust though.

My daughter (she's 20 now), when she was 11 or so, i had sent her one summer to a baking /cooking camp. One of the weeks they spent making pies, scones and the like. Well, when i tasted her pie crust, holy crap.

Now anytime i need to bring a dessert and i'm in a pie mood (such as, blueberries are in season now!), i tell her to make me the crust. My pies get rave reviews, but it's really all about the crust. And she uses forks on the dough....
I put a few Tbles of citrus juice in the crust of fruit pies. Think the acid makes it flakier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes