U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,399,598 times

Advertisements

Going along with the thread in the main forum for stretching your food budget. I am looking for some good recipes for using dried beans. I went a little nutty last food shopping expedition and bought a ton of dried beans, now I don't know what to do with them all. So I am here to ask my food friends for some help.

I tried making my own refried beans last week and they came out just "alright". They seemed dry and lacking in flavor that the ones in the can seem to have.

Also looking for some good soup recipes anything you can come up with. So let's hear it for BEANS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,115,940 times
Try Pasta e Fagioli, (Beans and Pasta soup) e great fand delicious filler.

Following just one of the many recipes.
//italianfood.about.com/od/legumesandpasta/r/blr0155.htm

There are also many beans salads you can make and the internet is again a great resource for them.

When I was living in Belize the staple food was rice and beans.
Cuisine in Belize, Central America (broken link)

Here in Spain they have quite a few recipes with beans.

A very nice one, although a bit fatty is Fabada Asturiana
//www.spain-recipes.com/fabada-asturiana.html

You can reduce the amount of fatty meat in it and it should still be quite tasty.

Have a great time and enjoy your beans. I personally love them

Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM

9,792 posts, read 16,432,347 times
Do you have The Joy of Cooking? The Brazilian black bean recipe with italian sausage in it is soooooo good. I follow it except I add jalapenos and I remove the sausage from the casings instead of adding it in rounds.

We eat this on corn tortillas with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,399,598 times
All of those sound delicious.

Debsi no I don't have it. I am going to the library tommorrow, maybe they will have the book and I can check it out.

Keep them coming I am getting some good ideas.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 AM

9,792 posts, read 16,432,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
All of those sound delicious.

Debsi no I don't have it. I am going to the library tommorrow, maybe they will have the book and I can check it out.

Keep them coming I am getting some good ideas.
Here it is.

Brazilian Black Beans Recipe at Epicurious.com

I brown the sausage, set it aside, drain some of the grease, then brown the onions/peppers in the sausage grease instead of using olive oil. You can use turkey italian sausage if you want.

Then at the end, when you add the OJ and sherry, I've always squeezed fresh from a couple of oranges (because we don't drink much OJ it's cheaper this way). I think the OJ/sherry kick at the end is what makes this dish so special, I don't know if using the fresh oranges matters though.

My husband and I, and my best friend and her husband who I gave the recipe to, all love this dish.

It makes wonderful tacos or tostadas and freezes beautifully. I think I might have to make this this weekend now!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 AM

208 posts, read 763,459 times
Talking local extension office

Local agricultural extension office normally has a brochure full of recipes for dry beans that is available for free. I can't find mine but they have some good recipes.I did the same thing!! Pasta,rices,and beans-the basics for economy.Bean and cheese enchilada's yeah.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,790,558 times
Use garlic salt for beans and diced jallepeno peper (remove the seeds). That's how I make my pinto beans.

Black beans I cook them, while they're boiling, do not stir too much. Add a can of coconut milk and garlic salt.

For lima, navy or split peas I add a ham hock for flavor.

Experience with different spices and onions to your liking.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,782,507 times
For a recipe for an ecuadoran dish with lentils and served with rice anmed: arroz con menestra de lentejas. (Preferably a side for meat/carne asada) Check this website:

Laylita's recipes

She has lots of good recipes with lentils and potatoes, which are ecuadoran staples. In college I had an ecuadoran friend and spent time at her mom's house and I got hooked on the ecuadoran food. The lentils and rice are good.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 AM

12,707 posts, read 20,818,416 times
My all-time favorite and tastiest dish with beans - cholent. Here is a site with a traditional recipe, along with the rich history around this dish:

Cholent Receipe

Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 PM

11,995 posts, read 29,401,590 times
Could some one explain to me why I can not find BIRD EGG BEANS in stores...do they call them something else??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes