Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you'd consider it "healthy" but it's darn convenient and easy. Here's how I make mine, usually. Line a cake pan or roasting pan with foil. Put in a FROZEN roast. Cover with fresh ground pepper, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, whatever herbs I feel like that day. Then I put peeled chunked potatoes and peeled whole carrots around the sides. Also mushrooms and onions. Just tuck them in anywhere. I usually put pepper on them too, sometimes other herbs. Depends. Cover the whole thing with foil.
4 hours at 300 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Easiest is stove top pot roast. Take a Dutch oven style pan w/lid. Pour a little olive oil in the bottom and heat on medium high. In the meantime season your roast well. You can use salt/pepper, Lowry's seasoned salt, whatever your preference is. Make sure the meat is patted dry with paper towels before seasoning. Sauté the roast for about 4-5 minutes on all sides, and you can use a pair of tongs to hold the roast if you are sautéing a side that won't stay put.

Once this is done, lower the heat, and arrange the vegetables you plan to use arround your roast (I usually include quartered brown onions, peeled potatoes and carrots, minced garlic, even some Brussels sprouts if I have some, and I drape a few stalks of celery across the top for flavor). Season the vegetables, add about 1 cup of water, and cover with the lid (make sure the lid fits well, this is important for stove top roasts). Lower the heat to your range's lowest setting, and check ever 30 minutes or so to make sure there is enough water to keep from scorching. Top off with additional water as needed, but never more than about a cup, if you fill it up with water you're going to have beef braised, not roasted.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
^^Yup. I've done that too. Very good as well. But i don't like to do that if no one is home to check on it, which you can do with the oven one.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
OP, the first question I have: what kind of a roast are you talking about? Are we talking rump, rib, chuch or some other kind? If you are talking something like a tri tip or rump you can maranate and grill or roast and serve it rare and this would be about as healthy as a beef roast is going to be. If you are talking about chuck or something like that, you would be talking pot roast. I too, have done both in the overn, cooking very slowly or on the stove, also slowly. It is what mom and dad used to call a boiled dinner. I don't think either way is particularly healthy, but oh my, how wonderful they taste nad how tender they can be. The way Don does it tastes great...

Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I don't know if you'd consider it "healthy" but it's darn convenient and easy. Here's how I make mine, usually. Line a cake pan or roasting pan with foil. Put in a FROZEN roast. Cover with fresh ground pepper, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, whatever herbs I feel like that day. Then I put peeled chunked potatoes and peeled whole carrots around the sides. Also mushrooms and onions. Just tuck them in anywhere. I usually put pepper on them too, sometimes other herbs. Depends. Cover the whole thing with foil.
4 hours at 300 degrees.
This sounds good (and easy!), but what size roast? i.e. wouldn't it matter whether it's a 2-lb. or a 4-lb. in terms of the amount of time in the oven? I like rare roast beef.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
The easiest/healthiest way is to simply rub the roast with cloves of garlic, (cut cloves in half and rub with the cut side of the cloves), and any other spices you like. I usually make small slits in the roast and stick the cut cloves into the slits after rubbing. Place in a 500 degree oven and cook 3-5 minutes per pound, then turn off the oven. Do not open the oven and do not peek for two full hours. The roast beef comes out rare to medium-rare. (A friend of mine cooks hers this way, except she only leaves it in the oven for one hour, not two. She likes hers so rare it's still mooing, so use that as a guide for how much time to leave it in the oven.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This sounds good (and easy!), but what size roast? i.e. wouldn't it matter whether it's a 2-lb. or a 4-lb. in terms of the amount of time in the oven? I like rare roast beef.
Karen, if you like rare roast beef and are worried about overcooking, the best way for you to achieve this (especially with a small roast), is to use a thermometer. Use one of the thermometers you stick into the meat on one end, while the other end sits on your counter recording the temperature. That way you don't have to open the oven. (The thermometers I'm talking about have an alarm you can set, to ring when it hits the desired temperature.) They look like this.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:15 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I have this great recipe for roast beef that is so good and very simple. Line a rectangle sized cake pan with enough foil to completely cover this dish and fold up tightly. In the cake pan in the center put your roast beef. Cut up carrots, potatoes, slice up 1/2 an onion (celery if you like that) and cover it all with one envelope of Liptons dry mushroom and onion soup mix. Wrap the foil up tightly. Set oven for 250 degrees and let it cook all afternoon. Really good.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
If it's prime rib we're talking about, I'm with Cheydee on this. The high heat method, then keep the door shut is the best and the easiest. Only problem is that you need two ovens if you want Yorkshire pudding or roasted veggies to go with the meat.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:54 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Default Carter's Kick-Ass Pot Roast

Ingredients:

Chuck roast (whatever size suits you)
Baking Potatoes (3 or 4 will do nicely)
1 bag of Baby Carrots
Worcestershire Sauce
Badia Sason Complete
Knorr concentrated Beef Stock (the gel, not the dry)
Onion soup mix
Olive Oil
1/2 cup of water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In a small bowl, mix olive oil and Badia sason to form apaste. Rub on both sides of Chuck Roast.

In a dutch oven or really deep skillet, pour olive oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet), and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Heat on medium heat till skillet is hot.

Sear chuck roast 5 minutes on each side. Remove dutch oven from heat.

Peel potatoes, cut in large cubes, rinse thoroughly and drain.
Mix cubed potatoes and bag of baby carrots.
Pour olive oil on potatoes and carrots (enough to coat) and sprinkle with sason complete. Toss by hand until thoroughly coated and seasoned.
Pour carrots and potatoes in dutch oven with chuck roast.
Sprinkle about ¼ of a bag of onion soup mix on top of roast and vegetables.
Add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce to the top ofthe meat.
Drop small amounts of Knorr concentrated beef stock over top of roast and vegetables.

Add water.
Cover and put in oven. Roast for 3 hours, let roast sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy!!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Mine is all about fresh thyme, bay leaves, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, garlic, tomato paste, a bit of brown sugar, 1 bottle of red wine, 2 cups of beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, and some homemade roux. You boil small red potatoes separately and crush them with a fork in the bottom of each guest's serving bowl before spooning each serving into the bowl - and don't forget the crusty bread to sop-up that wonderful juice. It even works in a slow-cooker if you don't want to mess with a Dutch oven.

I like to know EXACTLY what's in my dishes. And, no - it doesn't taste like wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes