Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:46 PM

774 posts, read 1,418,342 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a show on PBS in which a guy made juice from the fruit of a prickly pear cactus and made it into Marqueritas.
Has anyone ever made anything from the prickly pear cactus fruit or even the green blades?
If you have: How do you use it.
Any recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 01:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I peel and eat the fruit sometimes, but I have never eaten the green pads. The fruit tastes kinda like a bland strawberry.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
YES !! I had one (ok 3 or 4) on the riverwalk in San Antonio just last year. VERY tasty and a very happy mood maker.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:49 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
We have tons of them prickly pears here in CA - the green flat pieces I believe might be nopales which you can buy already cleaned and ready to eat at the grocery store.

I would love someone with experience to share their tips on cleaning the pears though - removing the pricks has proved to be too daunting a task for me to bother with this. It's a shame, because there are so many in the yards around here.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
if we are thinking of the same fruit--and i think we are-they are all over sicily. you slice off the ends,slice down one side of the skin and then just pull the whole skin away--it will look like you are throwing a lot of the fruit away--but that is how it is-the smaller portion inside is what you eat.
its very good and you eat all the seeds with it--just dont eat too much of the fruit at once--causes constipation...and dont bit down too hard on the seeds--kind of swallow them

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Watch the juice, it's blood red and will stain anything it touches!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Watch the juice, it's blood red and will stain anything it touches!

The show I watched actually said that the juice can be used as a dye for cloth. I bet it would be a beautiful color.

Might have to try it this year when the fruits are ripe.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
We have a ton of prickly pear at our house--we are renting and just moved to AZ in February. I was so excited to try nopalatos as one of my cookbooks talk a little in depth about them. In there, they said to slice into strips (after removing the spines) and boil. It was okay, but a bit slimey (like okra). However, the book also mentioned searing them. It was definitely our preferred method. They taste like really fresh, clean green bean.

I just harvested a bunch of fruit today. I cut prickles all over! I tried wearing leather gloves (worked well for harvesting the pads), but they went through. Ended up using some tongs, but if you shake the fruit at all, the hairs come sprinkling down.

I have read that you are suppose to roast the prickly hairs off, then proceed to process the fruit. I'm going to roast them tomorrow, hopefully, and then make jam and/or jelly on Monday. I also found a recipe for prickly pear pie. I might have to try adding a little juice in my next margarita, though!

Wish me luck! If all goes well, I might have a pantry full of jam! (my son calls it our prickly pear orchard)

Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
My mother used to make cactus jelly out of the prickly pear fruit...I'll have to see if I can get the recipe from her. It is pretty good stuff. I've also had cactus candy made out of it. I preferred the jelly over the candy.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:26 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I got a jelly recipe from an old Mother Earth News article (from 1976!), but I would love any additional jelly recipes--or any other recipes using prickly pear. I see a lot of prickly pear salsas on menus around here, so I may go looking for one of those recipes, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes