Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 10:27 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I made chili beans and taco soup today at the request of my 90 yr old friend. (jack lalanne clone lol)

And when I add the beans or corn. etc...I never drain the liquid.

I noticed someone above did. Is it common to do so?
I don't like the thick liquid that the beans are in. Once I forgot to drain them and left an awful taste in the chili.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 01:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Caroll Shelby’s chili is the best ever.
We use that as our base and then add whatever else we want.
I like to add venison chunks the size of almonds.
I also add lots of veggies.
Tastes so good you would have never known that it’s base came from a package.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It has beef, spices, onions ... but no tomatoes, just tomato paste.

This recipe is from the Cincinnati Recipe Treasury - it has allspice, cinnamon and cocoa powder:

Cincinnati chili actually is a variation of a Greek stew. The first chili parlor in Cincinnati was owned by Tom Kiradjieff, a Greek immigrant.

I have perhaps a dozen different Cincinnati chili recipes in my repertoire. However, my preference is to buy the Gold Star or Cincinnati Brand chili mix as it tastes just as good with half of the effort.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:26 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have perhaps a dozen different Cincinnati chili recipes in my repertoire. However, my preference is to buy the Gold Star or Cincinnati Brand chili mix as it tastes just as good with half of the effort.
Ooh, those are too salty for me. A lot of people swear by them, though!

Old 12-19-2020, 02:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
We eat bison chili most of the time. I developed my own recipe, using lots of chopped onions and a few shallots sautéed in rendered bacon or beef fat, toss in the ground bison, salt and pepper, crushed garlic; once the meat is no longer pink, I add lots of ground chili powder, smoked paprika, sweet Hungarian paprika, ground cumin, a squirt of tomato paste and a squirt of anchovy paste, dried celery flakes or celery salt. To this I add lots of chopped fresh tomatoes (Campari preferably, or Roma), once it's boiling I turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours. We don't usually put beans in our chili, though I don't mind them in other chili (canned or another person's recipe).

To serve, we top the chili with tillamook sharp cheddar. Same recipe can be used with ground beef if bison isn't available. This chili is also good served over fries.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:07 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Miles Davis's chili recipe, and his dad's.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...=pocket-newtab

Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
My current favorite chili is made with ground chorizo and scratch cooked beans.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:05 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,957 times
My personal favorite and super easy:

1 to 1-1/3 lbs ground beef
1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped
1 (15-ish ounce) can chili beans, with liquid (low sodium preferred)
1 (15-ish ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid (low sodium preferred)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (low sodium preferred)
6-ish ounces beer
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers (Ortega, for instance)
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix or homemade (preferred; see below)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In medium/large pot, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain most of the fat/liquid.

2. Add all remaining ingredients to the pot, stirring between each addition. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered (or partially covered) for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt.

NOTES: I prefer to serve mine with a dollop of sour cream. DH prefers some shredded cheddar cheese on top. Always better the next day, so if you want to make ahead and reheat it, it'll be great! Freezes well, too.

Homemade taco seasoning for chili:

2 tsp chili powder
1-1/2 tsp paprika (can do two-thirds paprika and one-third smoked paprika)
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt or pink salt or kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)

Old 05-02-2021, 12:23 PM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I make it in the crock pot and let it simmer slowly all day. I also add a couple of tablespoons of flour to make it thicker and eat it by the bowl. I've discovered that no matter what kind of chili I make, it's always better in the crock pot where the flavors mesh slowly after several hours.

I have a book "Heartland, The Best of Old and New from Midwest Kitchens" by Marcia Adams published in 1991. It has a very good recipe for Cincinnati chili which uses equal amounts of beef and pork, among other amazing recipes.
I have a big pot of Marcia Adams’s Cincinnati chili on the stove right now. It freezes great. I think her cookbook “Heartland” is fantastic. I’ve been using it since 1992. I have dozens of cookbooks and I’d say that book is amongst my top ten. Really worth buying used on Amazon.

I’ve tried several different Cincinnati chili recipes and always return to hers. My husband prefers it too.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:00 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Here is one I have been using for years and really like it. Adjust the amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper for proper heat level. As it is currently written, it will be very spicy. I would cut the chili powder in half and use 1.5lbs of meat vs. listed 1lb.

For one batch:
1 pound ground beef (or turkey) I use at most 80/20 mix or an 85/15. I have also started rinsing the meat first, as the past batch from BJs had a strong taste of conservatives or whatever they added to it.
1 pound ground pork sausage (Jimmy Dean's Sage Sausage works great)
1 1/4 tspn cayenne pepper
8 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground oregano
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (with the juices)
1 can beer (regular or light beer or can substitute 6-8 oz of water)
1 1/2 tbsp dehydrated onion
1 tspn garlic powder
1 tspn paprika (I add some extra smoked/Spanish paprika)
1 tspn salt
1 can red kidney beans (rinsed)
1 can black beans (rinsed)

Cook down the beef/turkey and sausage in a pot first, add spices and the rest of ingredients, bring to mild boil for a bit, then reduce to simmer. I usually let it cook for 30-45 minutes. You will see it getting darker red, based on the amount of chili powder you put in. I would highly recommend, at most, starting with half of the specified amount first. Obviously keep stirring it as it cooks.

Give it a shot and let us know what you think.
That sounds like a proper chili! (I'd have to leave out the beer though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes