U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 02:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 1,644,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Aside from the wet-dry ratio, baking powder can go dud surprisingly fast, especially in humid conditions. It has a dry acid and a dry base that make the gas when mixed, moistened, and heated. The dry mix undoubtedly limited the reaction and rise, but age could also be a factor.

When making a dough, try to remember the characteristics of it for the next time you make the recipe. Many baking recipes need a tweak if the weather is hot or cold, the flour or dry ingredients have absorbed moisture from the air, and so on. The dough will tell you when it is happy far better than a cookbook.

If the recipe called for only a 12 min bake, it likely called for rolled oats. Steel cut take a longer time to cook properly.

OK, stuff I did not know. Learn something new every day.I had better get some new baking powder too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 02:18 PM

3,751 posts, read 1,644,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I once made the recipe off the side of the Quaker quick oats box and people who ate them ranted and raved about them to such an extent that I wondered if they'd ever eaten a home baked cookie in their lives. You might check their site for a scone recipe and compare to the one you have.

Thanks. Will do.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:20 PM

19,806 posts, read 59,860,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I used to be very good at baking but I have tried twice to bake oatmeal cookies and tonight tried oatmeal scones. All failed. The dough is extremely dry and won't stick together. In all cases I checked again and again to make sure I had the correct measurements. I know I got them right. The scones did not rise. I can't figure out what is the matter! I tried to eat one but it was like hardtack.

Scottish Scones:

1-3/4 c oatmeal
1-1/2 c flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/3 c milk
1-1/4 c sugar
1/2 TSP salt
1 egg
1/4 c melted butter

Mix dry ingred, add beaten egg, butter and milk. Don't over mix.
roll out and make squares

425 for 12 minutes

Is there anything wrong with the recipe? Is the oatmeal supposed to be cooked into porridge first?
Could it be the baking powder is bad?

What am I doing wrong?
My late wife spent a few months on trying to perfect a scone recipe, so I am looking at eight full pages of handwritten notes as I type.

First, a scone in the most basic form is nothing more than a slightly sweetened stovetop soda bread. Ovens in the home were not common, and the development of baking soda allowed housewives to bake a bread at home, rather than buy from a baker.

Raw ingredients that they worked with are flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and some form of milk products - generally butter and buttermilk. The buttermilk was acid enough to cause the baking soda rise. A poor man's scone might not have egg.

None of my wife's various iterations of scones used oatmeal, although she did modify a buttermilk toasted oat scone recipe from Betty Crocker quick breads, That one called for equal parts flour and a mix of rolled oats and oat bran, cooked for 18 min. At a glance, the above recipe MAY have intended the oatmeal as a substitute for the flour instead of an addition, which could explain the dry mix.

The switch from stovetop to oven cooking allows a more even cook and less chance of a burned scone. Using baking powder instead of (or in addition to) baking soda insures the rise, especially if double acting.

As a comparison recipe, I will try to decipher and copy just one of the ones my wife came up with:

4 cups all purpose flour
either 4 Tbsp sugar OR 3 tsp turbanado sugar and 1.5 tsp stevia
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt
cut in 2 full sticks of unsalted butter with a pastry cutter
stir in 2/3 cup golden raisins, 2 tsp orange zest, optional up to 1.5 cups chopped walnut or pecan
IF NEEDED - buttermilk to moisten batter (may not be needed, as the butter is part water, part fat)

roll into a couple of rounds on a greased baking sheet, use a rolling cutter to pre-wedge into pie slice shapes but don't separate.

Bake at 400 - 425 until lightly browned.

If you were using oats with this, my best guess is that you would halve the flour, add 1.5 cups of rolled oats, and 1/4 cup of buttermilk.

If you look at the recipe, it is somewhat similar to a slightly sweet shortbread cookie recipe, but with no vanilla.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:30 PM

3,506 posts, read 2,375,656 times
Quote:
Just says "oatmeal". I used steel cut.
Most oatmeal recipes call for rolled or quick oats. I’m surprised the steel cut softened up enough to eat if they weren’t cooked or partially cooked. Steel cut oats in baking usually make a very dense product.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:03 PM

30,750 posts, read 37,062,536 times
Quote:
Just says "oatmeal". I used steel cut.
Whoa. That's cray cray.

BUT - here is a recipe that specifically states "rolled or steel-cut oats".
Has more liquid that your recipe though.

https://www.foodandspice.com/2011/03/equum-agit.html

1 1/2 cups spelt flour or unbleached white flour
2 cups rolled or steel-cut oats
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup whole milk

Old 02-14-2021, 04:04 PM

41,396 posts, read 51,243,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Most oatmeal recipes call for rolled or quick oats. I’m surprised the steel cut softened up enough to eat if they weren’t cooked or partially cooked. Steel cut oats in baking usually make a very dense product.
Yes, agreed. Steel cut oats have their place, but they need to cook a long time, so aren’t suitable for something that is baked for a short time.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 22,621,168 times
Have you posted/looked in he Recipes section?

Old 02-14-2021, 04:34 PM

35,726 posts, read 65,016,771 times
I notice a difference when using rolled oats vs quick cooking oats. Rolled oats need more moisture/fat.

If you're making oatmeal cookies and they seem too crisp or dry, put them in a tin overnight with or without an apple slice. They'll become softer.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:53 PM

13,690 posts, read 22,330,828 times
Quote:
I used to be very good at baking but I have tried twice to bake oatmeal cookies and tonight tried oatmeal scones. All failed. The dough is extremely dry and won't stick together. In all cases I checked again and again to make sure I had the correct measurements. I know I got them right. The scones did not rise. I can't figure out what is the matter! I tried to eat one but it was like hardtack.

Scottish Scones:

1-3/4 c oatmeal
1-1/2 c flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/3 c milk
1-1/4 c sugar
1/2 TSP salt
1 egg
1/4 c melted butter

Mix dry ingred, add beaten egg, butter and milk. Don't over mix.
roll out and make squares

425 for 12 minutes

Is there anything wrong with the recipe? Is the oatmeal supposed to be cooked into porridge first?
Could it be the baking powder is bad?

What am I doing wrong?
There is an absolutely fantastic oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have used from where I can’t remember. But, it fails every time for a lot of people because if you substitute quick cooking oats for rolled oats, the rolled oats you need to refrigerate it for at least an hour so the rolled oats can absorb the wetness. I would assume you would have to double that for steel cut. Because steel cut is just the oat berry.

But aside from that, that’s not nearly enough milk. A scone dough needs to be a little sticky.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:54 PM

8,324 posts, read 4,765,746 times
I use quick oatmeal for rolls and bread and my grandma's hundred-and twenty-year cookie recipe calls for rolled. Heat the wet ingredients and soak the oats for thirty min.

Also you could try searching for "no-fail" oatmeal recipes and see if that helps.

Unless I know a recipe website to be reliable (Martha Stewart's isn't anymore, by the way) when I see something I'd like to try I do a search to see how the ingredients, amounts and technique appear similar. Just to make sure somebody out there didn't test bake before posting a recipe.

It really surprises me how often I bump into something that's either in error or sounds like somebody just made it up and the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes