Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 PM

859 posts, read 2,147,573 times

Advertisements

Oh me too Pint size works for most stuff I do but for Sauces, a pint isnt enough and a Quart is too much soooooooo I been on the hunt for them BUT People snatch them right up ! gezzzzz

Going to cann up more Venision,,,, get it out of the freezer

My Shelfs are getting smaller and smaller,,,,,,, I used to have HUGE amounts of Jars now its just 2 People here ( Daughter and me !) And every 6 weeks by Hubby and Boys .... hmmmmmmm .....I could cann up stuff for my Eldest huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,176,051 times
Why yes you could and I'm sure it would be appreciated.

I'll put up some sauce in both quart & pint jars but mainly quart same with tomato juice I don't always need a quart of that.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 PM

hehehe Jaxson..... I will ask my eldest if he would like some

Still raining here,,,,,,,, so tired of rain, we had sun for 3 hrs yesterday and today back to rain .

I am trying out raised Beds this year any advice?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Our rain stopped after 3 or 4 days my DD actually mowed our yard today it was marshy is some areas so she mowed around that.

Yes come over & join us in the garden area Lisa has a thread about square foot gardening and I have one on vegetable gardening. We try every year to get the admin to give us a sub forum for the vegetable gardening but no luck yet.

Square Foot Gardening Anyone?

All Vegetable Gardening

Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 AM

Thanks Jaxson,,,,, I am reading it now lol........ breakfast and gardening hmmmmmmmm its a good Morning !

Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM

I have a dumb question,,,, so I made a bunch of Piefilling in the last 2 years, not thinking ahead ! We are down to 2 People, and I now make * mini* pies, so the big quart Jars are too much.

Think it would be alright to open the Quarts re-heat and put in Pint jars and re-seaL.......if so how long you think I need to waterbath?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM

41,924 posts, read 75,118,489 times
I'd probably just freeze the leftovers for the next batch.

Mmmm ... pie ...

I use a pint of pie filling to make a cobbler in a loaf pan. Just the right amount for two servings for two people.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM

It can be done but you will lose texture maybe some flavors it'd be like over processing. I think I'd freeze them also even though I hate to freeze stuff. How about using the quarts by making a pie then giving half of it away to a neighbor, homebound person or even homeless, single parent. Make pie turnerovers then freeze them. Just some ideas.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM

I dont like to freeze anything like that, cause I am down sizing the Freezer's as well and with limited Space I dont want that * stuff* to take up room. And my neighbors dont bake less it comes from a Box ! Sad aint it ? No old folks here just Familys.

Pie turnovers? Recipe?

BTW, the last time I gave my Canning Goods to help out I found out she threw out the stuff " She didnt trust canning" !

I was pretty upset ! anyway ........

Thanks anyway

Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I dont like to freeze anything like that, cause I am down sizing the Freezer's as well and with limited Space I dont want that * stuff* to take up room. And my neighbors dont bake less it comes from a Box ! Sad aint it ? No old folks here just Familys.

Pie turnovers? Recipe?

BTW, the last time I gave my Canning Goods to help out I found out she threw out the stuff " She didnt trust canning" !

I was pretty upset ! anyway ........

Thanks anyway
I think re-cooking and re-sealing should work. Pie filling isn't that much different from making jams and jellies. As for people not trusting canning, I look at it this way: if someone is trying to help me, I welcome the help. It is pretty easy to determine if something is spoiled; generally it isn't completely sealed or there is a certain taste. OK, we have all heard the stories about people getting botulism from spoiled foods, but it isn't nearly as likely to happen today as years before and you can pretty well judge how safe a canned good is, just by knowing the people who prepared them. At least that is how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes