U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

18,261 posts, read 20,551,128 times

Advertisements

You're welcome let us know if you score one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,201,563 times
Does anyone know how long canned tomatoes last? I have had some in my pantry for about 4 years. Should I get rid of them?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM

859 posts, read 1,897,796 times
No idea mine dont last that long lol

Old 11-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Depends how they smell when you open them if the seals are still tight they should be fine. Boiling any canned product for at least 10 minutes will get rid of any botulism according to the USDA site if that is what you are worried about. I try to rotate my jars but I tend to have at least 2 separate year's canning on the shelves most of the time. I have used stuff that has been canned for 6 years before with no problems from my grandmother's stash when she passed.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:21 PM

859 posts, read 1,897,796 times
I remember my Husbands Aunt canned some green beans YEARS ago , so one day she goes in the Basement and finds a Canning Jar full of Green beans ..they looked good and they smelled good so she cooks this up. MY husband and his Cousons (sp) gobble it up, she finally tells them that the green beans are about 15 YEARS old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Guys about spit it out...... Noone ever got sick on it either.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM

I am resurrecting this thread as another poster and I am having canning talk in another thread. Too much wonderful sharing for this thread to be lost in the back files on CD.

Anybody here done any winter canning? I am getting ready to can up 10 lbs of ham this weekend.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,269,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I am resurrecting this thread as another poster and I am having canning talk in another thread. Too much wonderful sharing for this thread to be lost in the back files on CD.

Anybody here done any winter canning? I am getting ready to can up 10 lbs of ham this weekend.
I've done fish, venison, and poultry in the winter, no problem. Just follow the directions. Ball used to have a free canning guide, but I imagine now one has to pay for it. I also think that most of the northern states ag extension offices would have pamphlets on canning meats, too.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,269,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Be sure to take your canner lid to an extension office to have the pressure gauge tested if you buy a used one. I get mine tested every few years just to be sure it is still on point.

Jasmin71 do you have a Freecycle in your area? If so ask for one on there it can't hurt. I wish I had never gotten rid of my aunt's old canner because it held quarts stacked. But it was so darn tall and heavy to move but processing 14 quarts as opposed to 7 would sometimes be really nice again.

I have my grandmother's old copper boiler I said I was going to do water bath canning on 2 burners with but it doesn't have a bottom rack. Then I forgot about trying to find something to use instead. I bet it would hold around 20-25 quarts at a time! She use to use it on an open fire then her wood burner stove. I use it to hold old VHS tapes.
You only need to have the gauge checked if you have one of those dial thingies. Mine are all the balance weight kind that bobble when the right pressure is reached. Much less stressful for me, too many stories about the other kind blowing up in my youth!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,307,337 times
Thank you all for this thread. I have not read the whole thing but I am planting my first garden this year and I plan to can as much as I can. As the Spring gets closer I'm sure I will have many questions for you.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Lisa

Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Glad you found the thread YLisa! It is blowing my mind that you said your new Ball book doesn't have how-to steps in it! Here is a link to their web site that might help you. But as I said I will be happy to help you anyway I can. Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs. (http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/1.php - broken link)

karibear thanks for the info on canning meats I am sure some readers can use that great info. I have been canning almost all my life having grown up here on this farm. So many people can up their garden bounty but fail to realize our canners can be used all year long really. I can soups, stews, dried beans and meats in the winter.

One tip for newbie canners is to be sure whatever product you are canning be sure the water in your canner is the same thing. If your product in your jars are hot bring your water in the canner up to their temp. If your product in the jars are cold start off with cold water in your canner. This will give you much less jar breakage and be sure you have the rack in the bottom of the canner to raise up the jars off the bottom of your heat source!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or