Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Girls, girls, girls freezers are our friends. I just moved into a 55+ community & told my kids no matter what I'm taking my little chest freezer. In my bigger one I had I used those plastic milk crates to keep things organized in this one I use 2 gallon Ziploc freezer bags. Just yesterday I put all my baking chips & nuts in one and all my shredded cheese packages in another.

I buy 22# bags of ice twice a month so that comes in handy having the bigger freezer to hold it. I drink lots of iced water or iced tea when I need something besides water.

Just made a big pot of green beans & potatoes from beans I canned up in 2010 I smelled garden when I opened them.
I don't can, but would like to try at some point!

Mostly I freeze what is more than useable at the moment. I currently only have a rather small side by side. I always loved the idea of having a side by side fridge, just what (I thought) I wanted!! But hell. There's no room in either side! (I rent a home, so it's not mine.)

My biggest problem with a chest freezer is that it's so big and deep that I just KNOW that my stuff would get lost in it. I need something more organizable. (Is that a word?) I would like a nice, decent upright freezer for the garage, and also a second refrigerator for soda, beer, extra food, etc.

And, yes, Jaxon, I didn't think you were in the 55+ range! Thought you were quite a bit younger than me, by your posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
And, yes, Jaxon, I didn't think you were in the 55+ range! Thought you were quite a bit younger than me, by your posts!
Aw shucks we all are as young as we feel & think right? I think having kids later in life kept me young acting if that makes since my youngest just graduated high school in May.

I just moved out of my late surrogate parent's home I was renting they had a bottom freezer on their fridge I loved it!!!! There was more room in it than in the freezer on top versions, it had a basket that pulled out and even the one shelf pulled out too. Nothing got left in the fridge to become a science experiment since it was all at eye level. Wide shelves on the door if I had the space here for it I would have brought it with me. Sadly the fridge spot here isn't near as large but boy I do miss it already.

At the farm keeping things in the milk crates kept my big deep freezer organized quite nicely.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I don't can, but would like to try at some point!

Mostly I freeze what is more than useable at the moment. I currently only have a rather small side by side. I always loved the idea of having a side by side fridge, just what (I thought) I wanted!! But hell. There's no room in either side! (I rent a home, so it's not mine.)

My biggest problem with a chest freezer is that it's so big and deep that I just KNOW that my stuff would get lost in it. I need something more organizable. (Is that a word?) I would like a nice, decent upright freezer for the garage, and also a second refrigerator for soda, beer, extra food, etc.

I know what you mean about side by sides: we have a decent sized one and I still hate it. I can never find what I want, there is almost no room and I am about to toss it, when we re-do our kitchen this coming fall or winter. As for the upright freezer, the best investment we made was ours. It is in the garage, isn't all that large, but with just 2 of us, it holds all we need plus room for things we do end up freezing.

When you are ready to start canning, it is best to start with things that only need a hot water bath (which is a lot of stuff, btw) then if you want and really develop the canning habit you might want to go to pressure cooking canning. We did this for awhile, but went back to just the hot water bath canning. The rest of the stuff we freeze. Everyone has his/her own preference.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Aw shucks we all are as young as we feel & think right? I think having kids later in life kept me young acting if that makes since my youngest just graduated high school in May.

I just moved out of my late surrogate parent's home I was renting they had a bottom freezer on their fridge I loved it!!!! There was more room in it than in the freezer on top versions, it had a basket that pulled out and even the one shelf pulled out too. Nothing got left in the fridge to become a science experiment since it was all at eye level. Wide shelves on the door if I had the space here for it I would have brought it with me. Sadly the fridge spot here isn't near as large but boy I do miss it already.

At the farm keeping things in the milk crates kept my big deep freezer organized quite nicely.
even with milk crates or whatever I still hated by chest freezer, but, as I mentioned, my dad swore by them. The one good thing, you don't have to worry about not closing the door tight like what happened to me to summers ago.

Age wise, you are like our son: He will be 49 in a month; kids are 16,5 and 9. But our grandson in law, is 50 and his baby is 7 months old, with another on the way...How about that one for you?

enjoy your new life in your new community. You can have the best of 2 worlds, minus the huge garden!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
even with milk crates or whatever I still hated by chest freezer, but, as I mentioned, my dad swore by them. The one good thing, you don't have to worry about not closing the door tight like what happened to me to summers ago.

Age wise, you are like our son: He will be 49 in a month; kids are 16,5 and 9. But our grandson in law, is 50 and his baby is 7 months old, with another on the way...How about that one for you?

enjoy your new life in your new community. You can have the best of 2 worlds, minus the huge garden!!!
Thanks I hope to settle in nicely little hard to get use to somebody sharing a wall with you and hearing footsteps & a dog up above me. But bet they don't like to hear my patio door opening at 10p, 11p or 12am either. Hey I worked in a factory most of my life on 2nd & 3rd shifts some things are hard to change.

We were in our early to mid 30s before having kids don't think I'd want to wait until 50 to have a newborn. First off I'd not be able to carry the baby car seat thing.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks I hope to settle in nicely little hard to get use to somebody sharing a wall with you and hearing footsteps & a dog up above me. But bet they don't like to hear my patio door opening at 10p, 11p or 12am either. Hey I worked in a factory most of my life on 2nd & 3rd shifts some things are hard to change.

We were in our early to mid 30s before having kids don't think I'd want to wait until 50 to have a newborn. First off I'd not be able to carry the baby car seat thing.
believe me, I think it is what you call "true dumb love" He is a very young 50, I will say that, but still we are all shocked. We knew the first was going to happen, but none of the family thought he would agree to a second. The good thing is, she is very understanding about allowing him to do the things he enjoys, even if it means he isn't always home on the weekends, they have plenty of money, so that isn't an issue and they are a perfect fit, politically, likes and dislikes, etc. They also have another think in common, neither of them particularly like to cook, but they both love to eat and exercise. Hopefully when she becomes a stay at home mom, she will decide cooking can be fun!!! The only thing she does well, in the kitchen is desserts and opening a bottle of wine!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
believe me, I think it is what you call "true dumb love" He is a very young 50, I will say that, but still we are all shocked. We knew the first was going to happen, but none of the family thought he would agree to a second. The good thing is, she is very understanding about allowing him to do the things he enjoys, even if it means he isn't always home on the weekends, they have plenty of money, so that isn't an issue and they are a perfect fit, politically, likes and dislikes, etc. They also have another think in common, neither of them particularly like to cook, but they both love to eat and exercise. Hopefully when she becomes a stay at home mom, she will decide cooking can be fun!!! The only thing she does well, in the kitchen is desserts and opening a bottle of wine!!!
Well if does seem like they are a perfect fit I hope one of them learns to cook it is fun if they both learned together.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Speaking of freezers & fridge this would be my dream refrigerator but I'd choke laying out almost $3,500.00 for it.

Can't get link to work so put this in google to see this beauty.

KitchenAid® 29 Cu. Ft. Platinum Interior, Standard-Depth French Door Refrigerator, Architect® Series II

Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Speaking of freezers & fridge this would be my dream refrigerator but I'd choke laying out almost $3,500.00 for it.

Can't get link to work so put this in google to see this beauty.

KitchenAid® 29 Cu. Ft. Platinum Interior, Standard-Depth French Door Refrigerator, Architect® Series II
I even love the slightly smaller ones, but I can't bring myself to pay close to $3,000. My top would be $2,000.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
Still working on empting the Chest Freezer I think another Week and I am thru it and can put the rest in the Up Right Freezer. Now working on Strawberry Rhubarb Pie filling & More Venision canning.

I been working every day ,,,,,,, and can not get a good night SLeep I feel like I been run over by a Roller lol

* your only as old as you feel * <----------- feeling OLD today !!!!

So whats everyone planning on Canning up this year?

my List :

Green Beans
Potatoes
Peaches
Apple Sauce
Starwberry Rhubarb Pie Filling
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Spaghetti Sauce ( LOTS !!!)
Apple Butter

Thats the START of the List lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes