U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 PM

859 posts, read 1,897,945 times

Advertisements

lol @ no farting...... you tell my Boxer that.. he even burps up Skunk !!!! Its so gross ! Still today its just plain nasty

Doing Potatos this week, I can only get red Potatos,, should I skin them? Last year I got tiny potatos and didnt have too skin them but these ones are bigger .... just wondering.

Apples are finally coming on too So exited !!

I agree,,, No chemicals in my jars .... or Words I cant say haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,612,800 times
I just was given a rumpload of zucchini; I'm going to try making that faux pineapple stuff.

Got my apples for applesauce, and some beans to make dilly beans.

I'm going to be busy this week!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,799,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I just was given a rumpload of zucchini; I'm going to try making that faux pineapple stuff.

Got my apples for applesauce, and some beans to make dilly beans.

I'm going to be busy this week!
Fun! We're still up to our eyeballs in tomatoes. Made a big batch of sauce today, another batch tomorrow. Plus more peppers, so we're going to pick up a couple of hotter peppers (probably habaneros) to combine with our serranos for a second, hotter batch of hot sauce.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM

4,101 posts, read 6,121,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I actually prefer my veggies frozen. They end up with a fresher flavor and texture, IMO.

I used to pressure can my veggies, but one year, I pressure canned sixty-some quarts of peas - and anyone who has ever processed a lot of peas knows how time-consuming that would have been, all that shelling.

Well, anyway, the results were horrible. The peas were extremely starchy and just did NOT taste good. I am almost obsessive about not wasting food, but the chickens ended up getting all those peas that I worked so hard for.

From then on, I blanched and froze all my veggies - peas, beans, carrots, etc.

I even prefer freezing my tomatoes - it is very easy to do and it's very convenient to just take out as many as I need for my chili or stew or whatever I might want to throw a few handfuls of chopped, frozen tomatoes in (I also freeze them whole).

The Weck is great, though, for all high acid foods - like fruits and pickles.

I'd like to do a little more with my dehydrator this year. We'll see.

I hate seeing food go to waste also, I'll bet ya there are many of us on this forum that could consider ourselves obsessive when it comes to wasting food. I have had two different dehydrators. The first one was a huge contraption that took up a lot of counter space and measured about 36" long, by two feet square. The one I use now is newer and is a bit smaller. I've dehydrated many vegetables in it and have used the vegetables later on in soups and stews. I bought frozen vegetables in huge packages at one of our local wholesale food distributors, peas, carrots, corn, bananas, apples and apricots are just a few of the things we dried.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,566,005 times
Canned 12 quarts and 6 pints of tomato sauce tonight. On the last batch, one of my quarts broke. I thought it was a new jar. What would cause it? I only had 5 quarts in the batch...maybe it moved around and bumped into the others? Or just a weak jar?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 PM

I would say weak jar or maybe hairline crack?

Bought my Apples today going to be making Apples tomorrow, still working on Squash as well...... then Potatos ..

Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,566,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I would say weak jar or maybe hairline crack?

Bought my Apples today going to be making Apples tomorrow, still working on Squash as well...... then Potatos ..
that...or reading on the presto website, it says that if you vent the steam too fast from the canner, it could cause one to break. Or I overfilled it. Hard to say. But it's the first this year I've broken in about 60-70 jars. Not a bad ratio.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM

18,261 posts, read 20,552,808 times
Jar breakage one of those mysteries in life no matter how careful we think we are, how thorough we are it is going to happen. Frustrates me when it does but I had one season I had an unusual high breakage I attributed it to Golden Harvest jars as they were the only ones that broke. Don't know if that was the problem but that is what I claimed it to be. I only use Ball or Kerr jars from that season on.

I was saddened last week when I got into my cupboard to pull out some diced tomatoes I only have one quart left. That is from my 2011 garden since I didn't have a garden last year we were moving and this year no yard. So I'll have to buy canned tomatoes for the first time in about 20 years had to already buy tomato juice for about a year now.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:53 AM

awwwwwwwwww !!!!!! Jaxson......

Someone tell me where I put my Apple Dicer thingy ! I can not find it !! grrrrr trying to put up apples and cant find it found the Peeler but not the Slicer thingy

Going to the Football Game tonight ( Daughter Cheers) its going to be RAIN and cold and windy the whole time I am not loooking forward to that Game! grrrrr

Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,612,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Someone tell me where I put my Apple Dicer thingy !
Probably in the same place as my little magnetic lid lifter thingy.

I usually guard that thing with my life (as well as the little hook that you use to pull the little bread machine paddle out of the bottom of a loaf of bread), but I'll be danged if I can find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or