U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,269,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I did my first carrots the other day, had a sale on carrots so I thought well I could just cann them.

There are so pretty I dont want to use them LOL !!!!!!!!

I want to buy a pressure canner, what kind is everone using?
Mine is a 22 1/2 quart Presto, with weights instead of a gauge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 AM

859 posts, read 1,897,945 times
cool thanks, yes I want to start doing meats. Like beef and Noodles and so on. I got my Ball book out and some of those recipes look so YUMMI!!!

Yes I will use them but gez they are so pretty !! I am catching myself looking for BIG bundle sales lol.

Well bought big bag of apples and they are a BIT * griddy* so I am making Apple sauce today !!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM

18,261 posts, read 20,552,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
cool thanks, yes I want to start doing meats. Like beef and Noodles and so on. I got my Ball book out and some of those recipes look so YUMMI!!!

Yes I will use them but gez they are so pretty !! I am catching myself looking for BIG bundle sales lol.

Well bought big bag of apples and they are a BIT * griddy* so I am making Apple sauce today !!
Be careful canning pasta it will become mushy. Commericial canneries can process at much higher heat and pressure for shorter times that home canners can not. Pasta is quick to cook so by the time you boil your water/broth and cook it supper is ready in less than 20 minutes on some things.

Apple butter is easy to put up when you have an abundance of apples too. Or apple pie filling that is my easy 'go to' for a quick dessert.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM

859 posts, read 1,897,945 times
Yup still have apple butter and *apple Pie*.... but getting low on apple sauce .

I was going to follow the recipe on the *Ball Recipes Book* Might just leave the Noodles out then. Thanks for the Tip !!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM

722 posts, read 1,337,052 times
Default Spring = Gardens = Canning Are you going to can this year?

We always do a garden in spring, nothing beats the taste of fresh veggies and fruit. With that, I tend to get carried away and plant more than I can use fresh, so I can alot. I still have some of my Grandmothers canning jars. So every year I do Pickles, garlic dill and bread and butterl, Pickle up some green beans and asparagus, can some peaches, nothing tastes like summer more than some peach cobbler on a cold December day, using your fresh canned peaches yum. And we will shuck corn and more corn and freeze it. But just curious on how many people are doing this still, or will start due to the economy or just wanting to know where there food is coming from. My kids love it and if any one is on the fence maybe this will give them a shove

Old 03-24-2009, 04:32 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,142,635 times
I haven't ventured into canning yet but should give it a try as part of my newly retired life However I always end up the season with an overabundance of home grown tomatoes. I make up a couple of gallons of marinara sauce and freeze it in meal size containers. It retains that back yard, home grown flavor that is so nice in the middle of winter. And marinara is a basis for many recipes like pasta sauce, pizza, stuffed peppers, lasagna, etc.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I haven't ventured into canning yet but should give it a try as part of my newly retired life However I always end up the season with an overabundance of home grown tomatoes. I make up a couple of gallons of marinara sauce and freeze it in meal size containers. It retains that back yard, home grown flavor that is so nice in the middle of winter. And marinara is a basis for many recipes like pasta sauce, pizza, stuffed peppers, lasagna, etc.
Exactly, I make extra baked beans in the winter so the house does not get so hot in the summer and just pop a jar open to go with the pork shoulder on the smoker and bingo messy good bbq and the house isn't hot from boiling and baking your beans for 6 hours.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM

2,175 posts, read 2,906,748 times
Absolutely I will can! Every year, my BF and I can about 40 quarts of tomatoes and tomato sauce in August. Meanwhile, I will can strawberry jam, peach jam, green beans, and probably some corn too. It isnt as hard to do as you might think, once you invest in the jars, canners, etc, its easy to go to the farmers market or farm stand (or to your own garden!) to select the best of the season.

Along about January, it is so comforting and nice to have these "almost fresh" jars of goodness. There are so many good websites for people who are just getting into it...give it a try!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,564,309 times
I am contemplating doing some canning this year. I brought my grandmother's canner home with me the last time I saw her. In the past I have done fruit and tomatos but it was always under her supervision. I am gearing up the courage to try some by myself. Haven't quite got there yet. But I hope to. I sure miss having homecanned tomatos.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I am contemplating doing some canning this year. I brought my grandmother's canner home with me the last time I saw her. In the past I have done fruit and tomatos but it was always under her supervision. I am gearing up the courage to try some by myself. Haven't quite got there yet. But I hope to. I sure miss having homecanned tomatos.
It is easy, don't work yourself up, the rewards are far to great not to do it, Make grammy proud and enjoy those fresh canned veggies this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or