U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM

19,952 posts, read 13,564,358 times

Advertisements

7 more quarts of pickles last night (think I'm about done with pickles), 10 pints of tomato sauce, and a pint of jalapenos.

Just getting started. The garden has a ways to go yet, and I think the wild plums are beginning to ripen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 07:33 AM

68,938 posts, read 51,087,645 times
How long can you wait after you crush the Tomatoes in the jar before giving them a bath? This is different from my question of how long can cucumbers stay in the jar before bathing. I assume Tomatoes can sit outside longer than the cukes.

I have 3 jars but my fire pit is not ready and I don't want to use the stove.

Can they sit inside a cool house till tomorrow?

Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How long can you wait after you crush the Tomatoes in the jar before giving them a bath? This is different from my question of how long can cucumbers stay in the jar before bathing. I assume Tomatoes can sit outside longer than the cukes.

I have 3 jars but my fire pit is not ready and I don't want to use the stove.

Can they sit inside a cool house till tomorrow?
Personally and I am not overly paranoid about spoilage I would simple use the stove or maybe put the jars in the fridge. I would not leave them out, even in a cool house. That is just my opinion. There is nothing more disappointing than opening a jar in the middle of the winter just to find it is spoiled.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 AM

68,938 posts, read 51,087,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Personally and I am not overly paranoid about spoilage I would simple use the stove or maybe put the jars in the fridge. I would not leave them out, even in a cool house. That is just my opinion. There is nothing more disappointing than opening a jar in the middle of the winter just to find it is spoiled.
Thanks. Yeah me too being paranoid about spoiling... So I used the stove. Made 3 more today..

Don't make fun of my labels. Lol. Each is a blend of 2 varieties from backyard.

I Will buy bulk Romas soon. I wonder if I'm not crushing them enough? Some lift off the bottom but I fill to the rim.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah me too being paranoid about spoiling... So I used the stove. Made 3 more today..

I Will buy bulk Romas soon. I wonder if I'm not crushing them enough? Some lift off the bottom but I fill to the rim.

they look great. I have about 10 lbs of Romas in the fridge now and am hoping to either get some tomatoes tomorrow from our good friends, or cheap from the farmers market this pm. I want to make tomato sauce on Monday. As for the tomatoes rising a little, I personally have no idea. I rarely have this happen, but have once in awhile. I always think I have the jars full enough and pushed down enough.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:08 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,612,800 times
I bought about 20 pounds of peaches today for $5. They were seconds, and some were pretty rough looking, but I had to throw away only three entire peaches.

The kitchen is now coated in peach juice, as am I. They're all peeled, pitted, sprinkled with Fruit Fresh, packed in bowls and covered, and awaiting more energy from me concerning their final disposal, if you will.

I'm waffling between peach butter and peach puree/sauce (like applesauce). Some I sliced for peach pie filling. Decisions, decisions ... I"m going to be up all night.

Quote:
Hey, you do what you gotta do. Frankly, some of these cutsie labels you see on Pinterest etc. make me want to gag. Your utilitarian labels are refreshing.

Quote:
I wonder if I'm not crushing them enough? Some lift off the bottom but I fill to the rim.
They look fantastic! I'm of the opinion that no matter what you do, the tomatoes will float to the top. When the jars are cool, I give them a little jiggle as I'm washing them. They do look a little better after that.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I bought about 20 pounds of peaches today for $5. They were seconds, and some were pretty rough looking, but I had to throw away only three entire peaches.

The kitchen is now coated in peach juice, as am I. They're all peeled, pitted, sprinkled with Fruit Fresh, packed in bowls and covered, and awaiting more energy from me concerning their final disposal, if you will.

I'm waffling between peach butter and peach puree/sauce (like applesauce). Some I sliced for peach pie filling. Decisions, decisions ... I"m going to be up all night.

Hey, you do what you gotta do. Frankly, some of these cutsie labels you see on Pinterest etc. make me want to gag. Your utilitarian labels are refreshing.

They look fantastic! I'm of the opinion that no matter what you do, the tomatoes will float to the top. When the jars are cool, I give them a little jiggle as I'm washing them. They do look a little better after that.
for canning who cares if they are seconds; good for you. I am waiting for that great deal, but so far this year the only great deals here have been the free stuff from our good friends. Tomorrow, after church we get some more stuff from them.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 PM

Free is good!

I almost didn't buy the peaches because there were yellow jackets all over them, and the bottom of the box was wet. But aside from a few that were too far gone, most only had one or two small bruises on them.

Tonight I managed to get 15 pints of peach salsa done, and 8 half-pints of zucchini relish.

Tomorrow I deal with the rest of the peaches, and then the tomatoes are starting to get ripe. Not enough tomatoes this year for sauce, and only a few jars' worth of crushed tomatoes, but I will make some salsa with the yellow tomatoes.

My garden didn't do so well this year, and three of the plants I bought were mislabeled - the tag said Roma, but the plant produced Yellow Boy. Either way, they don't make good spaghetti sauce.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Free is good!

I almost didn't buy the peaches because there were yellow jackets all over them, and the bottom of the box was wet. But aside from a few that were too far gone, most only had one or two small bruises on them.

Tonight I managed to get 15 pints of peach salsa done, and 8 half-pints of zucchini relish.

Tomorrow I deal with the rest of the peaches, and then the tomatoes are starting to get ripe. Not enough tomatoes this year for sauce, and only a few jars' worth of crushed tomatoes, but I will make some salsa with the yellow tomatoes.

My garden didn't do so well this year, and three of the plants I bought were mislabeled - the tag said Roma, but the plant produced Yellow Boy. Either way, they don't make good spaghetti sauce.
Not laughing at you, but laughing about the mislabeling; it happened to me also: My Romas never surfaced, but cute little yellow whatevers did. They were about like a grape tomato, that is what I called them but they were shaped like a baby pear, a very tiny pear at that.

As for the peaches, it sounds like you got your moneys worth and then over again.

We are getting more tomatoes, squash and a few jalapenos from our friends this afternoon.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:02 AM

Those are good friends!

I do love those yellow pear cherry tomatoes, but only when you buy them on purpose! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or