U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,219,575 times

Advertisements

It looks like my peach tree will be producing well this year! It's just a baby -- I put it in the ground last spring and it grew really well! Right now, it's about 5 1/2 feet tall but a lot of little peaches are forming. I'd love to learn how to can them. I'm planting more beefsteak tomatoes this year, too, since I had good luck with one plant last year.

Could you offer some directions or websites that can teach a total novice to can? My mom and aunt used to can but I surely don't remember much about the process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM

543 posts, read 2,045,659 times
I tend to freeze more than can. I had a pressure canner explode once when I was helping my grandmother can. So I am still leary of anything that has to be canned with pressure. I will probably freeze more this year than I have in years, matter of fact DH just tilled the garden Sunday and added about 4 more feet to it.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,756,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
I tend to freeze more than can. I had a pressure canner explode once when I was helping my grandmother can. So I am still leary of anything that has to be canned with pressure. I will probably freeze more this year than I have in years, matter of fact DH just tilled the garden Sunday and added about 4 more feet to it.
Yikes! The pressure canners available today are so much better then the canners available 25+ years ago. The gauages are more reliable.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM

722 posts, read 1,339,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Yes pressure cookers can be scary some times, I just do the hot water bath its fine for what I do. Mostly jam and pickels and veggies.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,756,069 times
We started canning last year, though we were dabbling with jellies for a few years. This year we plan to can pears, apple pie filling, applesauce, jelly, green beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salsa, etc. I didn't like the salsa we made last year, but it tastes great in tortilla soup. We have a huge garden and we want to make it work better for us. I bought a really nice dehydrator this year and have already been making lots of things with that. We found that apple and banana chips are my kids favorite treat. My sister has a Vita Mix blender that takes dried foods and turns them into finely chopped pieces or into powder. I found a great book that has lots of recipes using powders and chopped up spices So we plan to make our own soup bases, meat flavorings, taco seasoning, dip mixes, etc. Might as well since we grow everything needed. We already made cilantro and green onion powder.

We do all this as a family. My parents, my family, and my sisters family. It makes the work much easier.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 PM

18,270 posts, read 20,599,701 times
Here is a thread that is quite long and lots of canning info shared in it. Who does Canning here?

Also in the garden forum there are 2 stickies on veggie gardening we are trying to get a sub forum for veggies going. Admin says there needs to be more traffic on the garden forum first. So help us and you out go visit the gardening threads please.

All Vegetable Gardening

Square Foot Gardening Anyone?

Thanks one and all!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM

18,270 posts, read 20,599,701 times
Looking for something in the garage I realized I have a lot of boxes of empty canning jars out there! That means my cabinets are thinning down to make room for this year's garden bounty! Won't be for a couple of months but that put a smile on my face seeing those boxes.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,952,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I want to buy a pressure canner, what kind is everone using?
I used my little electric pressure cooker for 7 half pint jars the other day. It worked great.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

859 posts, read 1,902,742 times
man I am ready to cann
I was looking at making for carrots waiting for a nice sale.....

Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM

821 posts, read 1,800,641 times
apple butter
I made mine in the crock pot
peeled and cored the apples
put in crock pot so full the lid will not fit on
pour some sugar over and add cinnamon, all spice and what ever you want
put lid on and cover with towel
they will settle down and the lid will be on in a few hours
in 12 hrs stir and pour in clean jars (I boil my flat lids) place lids on jars and you will hear the pop of the jars sealing in a few minutes
before putting the apple butter in jars, have another batch of apples ready to put in the crock pot
so, when you empty it, just add the next batch of apples (no need in washing the crock pot either)
I kept mine going for a week one time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or