U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,669 posts, read 2,067,639 times
Reputation: 11802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How about crabapples? Anyone got some recipes to use crabapples?
I wish I did. I have two trees in my yard but I never use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41769
we have had crabapple trees in the past, but never used them for canning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2014, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41769
Well I just put my apples in the crock pot for making my apple butter. I should get about 6 pints, that is plenty for us. We have a of jams already in the pantry. Boy does the kitchen smell nice right now. I will probably not get the butter totally finished until after church tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,669 posts, read 2,067,639 times
Reputation: 11802
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I just put my apples in the crock pot for making my apple butter. I should get about 6 pints, that is plenty for us. We have a of jams already in the pantry. Boy does the kitchen smell nice right now. I will probably not get the butter totally finished until after church tomorrow.
I just started the last of my apples in the crock pot for Apple butter too. I admit you inspired me!

Tomorrow we are going pear picking. I will be canning vanilla pear jam early next week. It's a favourite with everyone who has tasted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I just started the last of my apples in the crock pot for Apple butter too. I admit you inspired me!

Tomorrow we are going pear picking. I will be canning vanilla pear jam early next week. It's a favourite with everyone who has tasted it.
yummy, I just turned the apple butter off and will re-start it tomorrow morning before church. When we get home it will be ready to process and take it's bath. I always forget how much it cooks down, darn it!!! I will add a few drops of almond extract to it just before processing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,669 posts, read 2,067,639 times
Reputation: 11802
I had a mishap with the apple butter tonight. It was bubbling over in the slow cooker. I loosened one of the snap down things. It exploded when I did this. I got some nice burns! The back of one hand and one of my forearms have blistered up. Saved the apple butter though. That's what counts. The husband was all a tizzy but you can't work in the kitchen as much as I do and not end up burning yourself at some point. This is not my first accident. All I can say is that apple butter better be my best batch ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,377 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Reputation: 54019
Ouch! Hope you heal quickly.

What's a "snap down thing"?

How full was the crock? I rarely fill it more than 2/3 full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I had a mishap with the apple butter tonight. It was bubbling over in the slow cooker. I loosened one of the snap down things. It exploded when I did this. I got some nice burns! The back of one hand and one of my forearms have blistered up. Saved the apple butter though. That's what counts. The husband was all a tizzy but you can't work in the kitchen as much as I do and not end up burning yourself at some point. This is not my first accident. All I can say is that apple butter better be my best batch ever!
wow,hope you are ok, I can relate: years ago I was taking pumpkin pie out of the oven and dropped the pie; some of the pumpkin flew up and burned my face. Yes, I had a couple of blisters, but everything was fine in a few days. Now, let us know how the apple butter turned out. I am about to turn mine off now and give it a bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
18,270 posts, read 20,592,528 times
Reputation: 41060
Ouch magicshark hope your blisters go away quickly.

I've only canned through you guys this year maybe next year will be a better year for garden canning around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,669 posts, read 2,067,639 times
Reputation: 11802
Thank guys! It's all good and as a bonus the husband is doing dishes for the next few days because he worries. Funny though he's a plumber and comes home with burns all the time.

I decided I did a couple things wrong. I have a new slow cooker. It has two metal snaps that close the lid tight and two small vent holes. I over filled the cooker so when bubbling it clogged the vent holes. Next time less apples in it and I will not snap the lid on. I will be ok with a regular lid. Also I have thought that this slow cooker, my other one being at least fifteen years old, gets much hotter. I will now adjust for that.

The apple butter came out tasting good but I only got three pints out of it. It is crazy how much it cooks down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top