U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 05:21 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I think that sounds like an awesome idea! Let us know how it tastes, please.

I am way behind in canning, although I do do most of my canning in the fall.
If it's cool enough, I hate this heat and humidity, I will go picking this weekend. I found a place with currant, gooseberries and blackberries. I'm dying to go there!
Well I have spent a couple days canning this week and probably won't do much more until late in Aug or even Sept.

Here is the truth and the whole truth so help me God: Let start with my invention: beet/strawberry jam: well, I royalty screwed up, trying to decide how much pectin to use. I thought my math was right, but instead of jam I now have jello. I will call it jello in a jar. Will I use it? yep, probably as a flavoring on some meats cause as it heats back up it won't be jello. The flavor, I will add is fantastic, I added a couple of jalapenos.

Next on the canning schedule was mango/peach salsa. I really like my salsa thicker, and I combined a couple different recipes, the flavor is great; will get used up and or given away.

Next was yesterday: it was pickling day; we ended up with about 4 quarts and 8 pints of pickles. They are forms of dill pickles, some with jalapenos, some with other spices. I won't even open them for about a month or so. We rarely have pickles that are not really good, so am hoping for another year of success. That will make up for the jello in a jar.

Good luck with your canning. Keep us informed how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:30 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,159,188 times
Default HELP!!! Canning error!!!

I canned raw green beans for 10 minutes and just found out it was suppose to be 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. It has been 2 days. Do I have to throw them away? I do don't I?

Old 08-07-2016, 02:57 PM

811 posts, read 722,462 times
Throw them out? No. BUT, you did not reach a temperature that deems them "safe" against risk of botulism when stored for a length of time. They're not shelf-stable as you have them now. Either store them in the fridge and eat them sooner than later, or just reprocess them, for 20 minutes this next time.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:14 PM

10,456 posts, read 15,444,955 times
Yep. You reprocess them right.
Or, get chickens. Then there will be very little food in trash.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 PM

I am not all the particular, but to be honest I would thrown them out. I know it is sad, but better be safe tha sorry.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,604,127 times
I made a batch of garlic dills last night, using the two-day process this time instead of the quick recipe. I won't know how they turned out for another month ... Anticipation!

And as much as I love pickles, the best part of opening a jar is fishing out the garlic cloves at the bottom. Yummy!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I made a batch of garlic dills last night, using the two-day process this time instead of the quick recipe. I won't know how they turned out for another month ... Anticipation!

And as much as I love pickles, the best part of opening a jar is fishing out the garlic cloves at the bottom. Yummy!
never thought about it that way, but you are right; the same is true when you use a piece of hot pepper in the pickles. I always do the 2 day method. This year has been a horrible year here for cukes, so we couldn't get pickling cukes, we had to use young regular ones. I have opened them yet and am so afraid they will not be any good. Hopefully we will have a few in the next week or so.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 AM

well I finally got my watermelon, jalapeno jelly made and it is about to come out of the hot water bath. I have worked on this recipe for about 3 years. If it sets right today, I am all set. I tasted it: just enough bite to have flavor, but not hot enough to set fire to your mouth.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
never thought about it that way, but you are right; the same is true when you use a piece of hot pepper in the pickles. I always do the 2 day method. This year has been a horrible year here for cukes, so we couldn't get pickling cukes, we had to use young regular ones. I have opened them yet and am so afraid they will not be any good. Hopefully we will have a few in the next week or so.
finally opened a jar. They are edible, but that is as far as it goes. The skins are tough and the meat not as firm as I like. I won't toss them, but won't share them with friends either. Next year, it is the right cukes or nothing.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:41 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,604,127 times
I found bargain tomatoes and peaches at the farm stand today -- 50+ pounds of tomatoes for $4, and a peck basket of peaches for $2. Better get busy ... because on Friday they'll have more! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or