Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times

Advertisements

hello again. first, thank you, jaxson, for the decent acknowledgment. i have enjoyed rekindling old memories through some of these posts on canning. my recipe for tomatoes is pretty much like that of rach's. i have put mine up, as she does hers. i have also added 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a quart, particularly if i am using a relatively low-acid tomato variety. generally, however, my recipe is: for every 1 qt tomato i add 1 tspn uniodized salt (kosher), and 1 tspn white granulated sugar. rutgers, jett star, and sweet cherry are usually my canning tomato stock. beef stake, better boy, better girl, and the like are usually sliced for the table or put into fresh recipes. personally, i've never found a tomato i didn't love, and, if not completely fermented (rotten), i never throw one out. child my mouth has begun to water just talking about them. for tomato relish---both green and red---i use the leftovers at seasons end. in my area, as i would imagine in yours, we have what is known as "canning" tomatoes. as most know, these are usually sun-spotted, etc., but they make wonderful base for soup mixture or wonderful juice. while putting up juice, i generally set about a gallon in the pantry for me to drink right away...what a pig! i have made salsa in the past. i was a little disappointed. the recipe is really good; however, i followed my nutty sister's advice---bless her heart---and followed her cook's advice to cook it for 45 minutes. i knew all the while that all of that salt, sugar, vinegar, etc. would preserve w/out canning. it changed both the texture and the taste. i'm going to do what "rach" does w/ hers. i put about 12 pints up in october, '08, and it was wonderful. i cooked it in an open all-clad pot for 20 minutes, after the boil. i followed the regular procedures for water bathing tomatoes, and i had not one problem.

i noticed, rach, you were lamenting about your canned creamed corn. i grew up eating both canned and freezer packed. to me, there is no better way to eat creamed corn than out of the freezer. we always filled up both chest freezers and canned about 80-100 qts. the freezer corn mixture is always brought to 120+ degrees on the stove, in order to kill the enzymes that make the corn change its taste. then i cool it thoroughly and bag in the desired amounts. i even put 1 tspn salt and 1 tspn sugar in mine. my canned corn is put into 1 qt jars, seasoned to taste, and then put into the canner @ 10lbs pressure for 50 minutes. i know that the farmer's almanac and the 4-H recommends 80 minutes, but, in doing this, the sugars break and it ends up caramalizing the mixture. botulism will let you know by smell long before you get it into the cooking pan. consequently, i always check the lids for good seals and put the jars away in a day or two.

i would like to see a salsa recipe, if you would like to share. i also have a good ole reliable all-purpose chow chow. might good w/ those new years blackeyed peas, etc. well, good luck to those who "can"...is that too corn pone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,564 times
kingchef, I cut my corn off the cob (did peaches and cream corn last year) and put it raw in the fruit jars (then fill to the top with water) and put the raw corn in freezer bags (don't add anything to either of them)

yesterday I put lots of strawberries in freezer bags, today I made jam

2 yrs ago, my husband came in with several cases of green tomatoes
after eating fried green tomatoes 3 days in a row, I was tired of them
so I searched the internet for a recipe and found one that everyone loved
hope to make it again this year
calle Indian Relish, will look for the recipe and post it

Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I found a new canner locally and it was the cheapest for new that I've found. It's a Presto 16 Qt. Canner for $82.95. I found a used one for $20.00 on Craigslist and a bunch of canning jars for .25 and .50 each. Unfortunately they are about 3 hours away from me. I'll keep looking. I also found a bunch on Ebay. Good luck.

Here is a site that has a lot of good recipes. This is the page for the sweet potatoes.
How to Make Home Canned Sweet Potatoes (or Yams) - directions, recipe, with photos
Thanks that where I have been looking, going to look in Yard sales now, really want one but 80 bucks is too much for me, I am tightwad Thanks for the Link will try that once I get my pressure cooker !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You don't process these either? I'm glad you have never had a problem but for me I need to process to make sure those lids are sealed and the food was processed for the correct amount of time. Do you just keep all these unprocessed jars on your shelves or do you keep them in the fridge?
No I keep them on shelfs / pantry.... never had a issue

Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I canned corn, tomatoes and green beans from our local farmers last year. Helped us through the winter financial shortfalls. We then had a severe ice storm here in Maine that left us without power for a week. I lost most of my wild mushrooms and berries stores in the freezer. So this year i'm commited to a lot of old-fashioned canning. I have an old 32 qt. Burpee pressure canner that is invaluable. I just canned 7 quarts and 16 pints of wild fiddleheads for storage.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I canned corn, tomatoes and green beans from our local farmers last year. Helped us through the winter financial shortfalls. We then had a severe ice storm here in Maine that left us without power for a week. I lost most of my wild mushrooms and berries stores in the freezer. So this year i'm commited to a lot of old-fashioned canning. I have an old 32 qt. Burpee pressure canner that is invaluable. I just canned 7 quarts and 16 pints of wild fiddleheads for storage.
That is awesome. I think you might consider adding a generator to your stockpile.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM

lol we have a generator but I still cann what I can... just easer

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Well went to see my GF and my DH SAW a Canner on her shelf told her Gezzzz Jas been looking for one in Yard sales,, if you ever want to sell it let me know.
5 Minutes later bought me a Mirro 22 quart BRAND NEW Canner with everything still wrapped for $ 20 !!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Well went to see my GF and my DH SAW a Canner on her shelf told her Gezzzz Jas been looking for one in Yard sales,, if you ever want to sell it let me know.
5 Minutes later bought me a Mirro 22 quart BRAND NEW Canner with everything still wrapped for $ 20 !!
What a deal! Good for you on the find or shall we say DH's find.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 AM

his find
We went out that day looking for a Food saver & Canner I bought both for $ 25 !!

Now I just need to learn how to use it

Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
his find
We went out that day looking for a Food saver & Canner I bought both for $ 25 !!

Now I just need to learn how to use it

What a deal. I'm so happy you found it. I had to buy a new one and almost choked at the register but I was afraid they may run out. Now I have to make it "pay", lol.

Like you I have to learn how to use it. The directions are a little intimidating. Maybe I should go and "watch" someone first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes