U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Please share your process for the spiced tomatoes. I need to make some for chili.
Oh there is no real difference in making them and any other canning. We spit the skins off the tomatoes (always use Romas) usually can in pint jars, but sometimes do quarts. We add a little lemon juice or vinegar, a tiny bit of salt, sliced garlic, jalapenos with some seeds remaining if you want the zip, and a little tomato juice for color if you like. Oh, we use onions as well, but I am not convinced the onions really make a difference. Because we are true lovers of Mexican food, in these jars we also add cumin. I can't give the measurements cause I have no idea, but I do know we use about 2 peppers in each pint jar, cut in 1/2 plus about 3 cloves of garlic just sliced. For quarts we use double or maybe a little less than double. Process them for about 30 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM

186,985 posts, read 76,895,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh there is no real difference in making them and any other canning. We spit the skins off the tomatoes (always use Romas) usually can in pint jars, but sometimes do quarts. We add a little lemon juice or vinegar, a tiny bit of salt, sliced garlic, jalapenos with some seeds remaining if you want the zip, and a little tomato juice for color if you like. Oh, we use onions as well, but I am not convinced the onions really make a difference. Because we are true lovers of Mexican food, in these jars we also add cumin. I can't give the measurements cause I have no idea, but I do know we use about 2 peppers in each pint jar, cut in 1/2 plus about 3 cloves of garlic just sliced. For quarts we use double or maybe a little less than double. Process them for about 30 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts.
Thank you. We may get brave and make a few test jars if we can find bulk tomatoes for canning. I think some jars with fresh poblano pepper substituted may be worth trying.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:25 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,167,217 times
Quote:
man that sounds good.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,827,196 times
I didn't have a garden this year, and peaches were expensive this season. I've done very little canning, but ... Last weekend I bought a bushel of tomatoes for $5, and a bushel of apples for $10. Gonna be busy this weekend!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM

11,126 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I'm too scared to try it. I want to do it but don't want to kill myself from improper canning techniques.
What exactly are you afraid of? Remember that people figured out canning techniques before there were books or videos on canning. Even before the internet. There is more than enough information available to assist you.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I didn't have a garden this year, and peaches were expensive this season. I've done very little canning, but ... Last weekend I bought a bushel of tomatoes for $5, and a bushel of apples for $10. Gonna be busy this weekend!
Damn, $5 for a bushel, even 1/2 bushel is so darn cheap. I bought a few (quite a few) a few days ago and am going to make spicy tomato sauce, but I may call our local farmer and see if he has any at a reasonable price?

Old 09-09-2017, 06:18 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Quote:
Damn, $5 for a bushel, even 1/2 bushel is so darn cheap. I bought a few (quite a few) a few days ago and am going to make spicy tomato sauce, but I may call our local farmer and see if he has any at a reasonable price?
Ask if they have seconds. Nothing wrong with them - they just weren't perfect like the tomatoes at full price. If I'm going to grind them up for sauce, what do I care what they look like?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ask if they have seconds. Nothing wrong with them - they just weren't perfect like the tomatoes at full price. If I'm going to grind them up for sauce, what do I care what they look like?
well I certainly didn't get the cheap ones like you did. I have been to busy running back and forth to the hospital this week, so just had to do with what I could, but I do have the sauce on right now; should be ready for putting in cans in a few more hours. I added some spice including a couple jalapenos and some basil. I simply put the tomatoes and everything else in the food processor for about a minute or less per batch. Boy did it taste good when I cooked it for a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or