U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM

376 posts, read 878,912 times

Advertisements

I can relish but haven't done it for a few years. Was going to do it last year but my cucumber plants died. The plants look real good right now so I just might be able to do the relish this year. All this rain sure has helped the plants. It's a great recipe and everyone loves it. I put up tomatoes but not going to do that anymore; too much mess and trouble. Besides that I only planted one tomato plant plus a grape tomato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,304,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
I can relish but haven't done it for a few years. Was going to do it last year but my cucumber plants died. The plants look real good right now so I just might be able to do the relish this year. All this rain sure has helped the plants. It's a great recipe and everyone loves it. I put up tomatoes but not going to do that anymore; too much mess and trouble. Besides that I only planted one tomato plant plus a grape tomato.

What is your recipe for the relish if you don't mind sharing? Good luck with your plants this year.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
What is your recipe for the relish if you don't mind sharing? Good luck with your plants this year.Thanks
Trying to paste it in here but perhaps it's too long. I'll keep trying to paste but if it won't work I'll send it to you by direct message. As a matter of fact I have two recipes; one Hot & Sweet Relish and one Cucumber Relish. I like sharing recipes.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 AM

859 posts, read 1,897,647 times
Is anyones elses Garden like really really slow this year? Here in MI we are like 2-3 weeks BEHIND !!

Not sure how this will work out .......

Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Is anyones elses Garden like really really slow this year? Here in MI we are like 2-3 weeks BEHIND !!

My garden is in Delaware and we have had lots of rain and the garden is doing great. I have tiny green tomatoes developing and lots of blooms on the cucumbers and peppers.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,549,537 times
Quote:

Indiana here ours had to be replanted with green beans this year. We have had a lot of rain so planting didn't happen until a month after we usually plant too. Just keep yours weeded something will grow in it. Some years you get plenty, others not so much but it is still basically free food and better than store bought eh?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Default CaroleM's recipes

In case anyone is intersted CaroleM DM'd me 2 canning recipes. Here they are.

CUCUMBER RELISH
4 c. chopped, unpeeled cucumbers (4)
1/2 c. chopped sweet red peppers
3 1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. celery seed
1 c. chopped bell peppers (2)
3 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. CANNING salt
2 c. white vinegar
1 tbsp. mustard seed
Use coarse blade or grinder; combine all ingredients in large bowl, add salt.
Cover with cold water and let stand 4 hours. Drain thoroughly.
Press out excess liquid.
Combine sugar, vinegar, celery and mustard seeds. Bring to a boil stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add vegetables, simmer for 10 minutes.
Pack into jars, cap and seal.
Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. Makes 4 pints.

Hot & Sweet Pickle Relish
Yield: 8 half pints
1 qt. Cucumbers, finely chopped (unpeeled)
1 cup Hot Peppers, finely chopped
2 cups Onions, finely chopped
1 cup Green Peppers, finely chopped
1/4 cup Salt
3-1/2 cups Sugar
2 cups Cider Vinegar
1 Tblsp. Celery Seed
1 Tblsp. Mustard Seed
Combine cucumbers, onions, and peppers in a large bowl; sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain thoroughly; press out excess liquid. Combine sugar, vinegar and spices in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
Note: For hotter relish, substitute hot peppers for the sweet green peppers.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I have no idea because this is my first garden, lol. I do have some small flowers on my pepper plants and my tomato plants are growing like weeds but no blooms/buds yet. How long does that normally take from the time they are planted? I planted the tomatoes 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,820,590 times
Okay, question.. I don't want to start a new thread since there is already one about canning!!

Is it possible to buy store bought honey, then can them in smaller canning jars (so they are sealed shut)??? If so, how exactly do I do that? Any good websites for me to look at? Thanks!!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,549,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Okay, question.. I don't want to start a new thread since there is already one about canning!!

Is it possible to buy store bought honey, then can them in smaller canning jars (so they are sealed shut)??? If so, how exactly do I do that? Any good websites for me to look at? Thanks!!
Yes put them in your half pint jars or pint jars process like you would for pints about 10 minutes in a water bath canner. That is enough time to seal them and since it was bought already processed you don't need to reprocess the honey.

YLisa on the back of your plant tag or back of your seed packets it will tell you how long each plant takes to grow. Sorry I don't know exactly how long before I get blooms on my maters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or