U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM

18,270 posts, read 20,590,662 times

Advertisements

freesiia you're very welcome just paying it forward as other long time canners shared me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
It's strawberry season! If I don't snarf down the four quarts (!) of berries I bought the other day, they'll wind up as some kind of preserves.

Just went through the inventory of jars the other day. I'm either going to have to eat last year's stuff out of my 1/2 pint jars quickly, or buy more jars.

You never see 1/2 pint jars at yard sales. Hmph.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM

859 posts, read 1,901,842 times
I need a GREAT Strawberry Preserves recipe <hint> < hint>

I need to find some Pint Jars,,,,, the big ones are too big sometimes . How come you always have enough of the big Jars but never the little ones lol

Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Singing the I need more pints blues with y'all! As my family is decreasing finding more and more things a pint is just enough of something. I'll still do my tomatoes and green beans in quarts even when it is just me I believe.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
You know I used to can stuff and my husband said why when you can get it in the grocery store ? I blame his mother for that because she was real lazy and his aunts and everyone else canned their fruits and veggies and she used to put it in his head that it was silly to can when you could get it in the grocery store . His sister told me that . She never taught her girls to be frugal with a dollar either cause they have to have the best of everything . The same was with him when I met him . I watched every penny and figured out everything including the tip and I think i embarassed him somewhat . I think canning is wonderful and if Im ever living by myself again I will can again . I did tomatoes , cucumbers , peaches , blackberrys etc .

Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM

yup I was asked that too, WHY would you do this, it takes so much time...... ???

Cause I LOVE it , I love knowing whats in my food, I love gardening......love the opening of a Jar knowing we made it...

Well, some People will never get it ya know!

We been getting rain and I put in the Corn too So hoping the garden will do its *thing*

going out right now too check things out

BTW I am now down to 3 People in the House, my Oldest Graduated and went on the road with my Husband. So just me and son and daughter .......oh and my boxer !!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Jasmin congrats on your oldest one graduating! My baby has 3 more years then I will have an empty nest. Although oldest comes here to eat a lot still. LOL

He is the one that really appreciates my canning now that he is on his own. He tastes the difference in store bought and mine. DD will be in for a shock but probably not as much as DS though. She likes a lot of processed foods she eats at friend's houses. She is always wanting me to buy her some so I ask her to read me the list of ingredients. When she can't pronounce (neither can I) over half them I tell her she doesn't need them in her body then.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:39 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Cause I LOVE it , I love knowing whats in my food, I love gardening......love the opening of a Jar knowing we made it...
And now that the spouse has realized the merits of canning, not only is he offering to help (more like offering to get in the way ...), but also he races down into the pantry to get the tomatoes or spaghetti sauce, so he can be the one to open the jar and be the first to inhale the tomato-y aroma.

Still trying to decide what to do with those 2 quarts of strawberries we haven't eaten yet ...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM

lol my Husband works on the road, and requests my Jars all the time, I do sneak in Peaches for him ( his favorite)
my DD loves the canning as well so I am lucky...my boys dont eat too much canning but they are picky eaters lol.....

my corn finally peaked out of the ground ! hope it will make it, we been getting rain EVERY stinking day, my poor garden is soooooooooo wet !

Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 PM

185 posts, read 631,847 times
Still trying to decide what to do with those 2 quarts of strawberries we haven't eaten yet ...[/quote]

Make some freezer jam out of them. You can also slice them, put sugar (to taste) and freeze them and have them later for topping on cakes. Or eat them later with cool whip. There are a lot of different ways to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or