U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 AM

848 posts, read 1,235,708 times
I make almost the same we call ours " Apple Pie in a Jar"

I am ready to do some canning .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,672 posts, read 10,667,234 times
I used to make 3 types of pickles (dilll, bread & butter and 9-day), can tomatoes, but I don't any more. Just got tired of it, I guess.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 AM

24,228 posts, read 28,505,746 times
I've got an overabundance of tomatoes, but still have plenty of canned salsa from last season. So far I've put up whole tomatoes and spaghetti sauce. Next is tomato and basil jam. Never tried that before, but it sounds yummy!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 PM

15,647 posts, read 10,548,469 times
I got blessed with a free wheelbarrow full of sweet corn yesterday, today I have 19 pint jars sitting on my counter! Late this morning the same couple called me wanting to know if I wanted the last of their green beans I said yes and we would be over to get them. Went thinking we would be picking them they had almost a bushel picked waiting on me! They are snapped & cleaned waiting in the fridge to process in the morning. What a blessing!

We threw down an old shower curtain last night in the living room watching the Olympics as we were shucking and shouting!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:19 AM

I made tomato jam and it gelled!!!!! Woo-hoo!

I think this is my first real success with jams/jellies. Previously I've gotten batches of semi-solid goop. Tasty goop, but goop just the same.

Pretty good stuff, too. I made three batches -- one with lemon juice as called for in the recipe, one with added basil, and a third with lime juice instead of the lemon juice. All three had just a little left over that combined filled one jar. That jar ought to have an interesting flavor ...

Tonight's project is peach jam. This canning stuff is fun.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM

Congrats Ohiogirl81 that is awesome now tell us what you plan on doing with all your tomato jam.

I got 22 quarts and 1 pint canned up from the green beans I was given, we are picking pears tonight to put up. It takes some work to can but the rewards far outweigh it. Knowing and seeing all the jars of food in my cabinets is awesome. Then only having to go "shop" in my utility room when my cabinets get low is pricelss.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
It takes some work to can but the rewards far outweigh it. Knowing and seeing all the jars of food in my cabinets is awesome.
Isn't it though? My mom -- who taught me how to can, for crying out loud -- was telling me the other night that I should buy a freezer and freeze everything because it takes less time and effort. Well, what fun is that a) to spend a rumpload of $$$ on electricity; and 2) to open the freezer and see a bunch of food in there knowing that one good power outage and it's all gone? I love opening the door to the pantry in the basement and seeing all the jars stacked there. I sweat and curse and burn myself every time, but canning is so satisfying.

Oh, about the tomato jam -- about half of it will go for Christmas presents to neighbors and co-workers!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 PM

It is great to find newer better ways in things but I don't get on board with the freezer usage for food storage on all items. I have been without power too many times, due to mother nature mostly, that has caused great amounts of frozen food wasted. Besides when I come home late from somewhere I don't have to wait for something to unthaw when I can dump it from a jar. I don't have to use the microwave to thaw then cook something either so in the long run it is a time saver for me as well.

If you just blanch and freeze veggies then they need to be cooked fully when you are wanting them. Not so in my canned veggies because the cooking process happened during the canning process! So only reheating or adding something to it is needed. I hope my children realize the importance of canning and will one day do it themselves. I know my DS won't but maybe talk his future wife into?????

Old 08-28-2008, 09:11 PM

745 posts, read 1,342,712 times
So far this year we've canned 3 types of salsa. We also just finished with the fourth batch of various types of pickles. That doesn't include the refrigerator pickles we made as well. I'm hoping to get some tomatoes at the end of season and make homemade V-8 juice as well.
I'm looking forward to grabbing a jar of salsa for a quick and easy meals this winter. Just add beans and pasta and you've got a great chili!

For those that wanted to use less sugar in jams. Sure-jell does have a low sugar version of its pectin with recipes inside.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 PM

435 posts, read 757,995 times
I've canned 20 lb of wild blackberry jam, about 30 lb of apricot jam and about 20 lb of stewed cherries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes