Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Ours does too, but nobody here really does it..... one Lady asked me

Wow, I didnt know old fashioned People who cann still existet !

lmao ! I told her well yes we do, MY MIL , SIL< and some friends do some canning

I am 43, me and my mom have started canning over the past few years, and it is awesome! The one thing we have had a difficult time with is canning potatoes. They tend to explode...

Any suggestions for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I am 43, me and my mom have started canning over the past few years, and it is awesome! The one thing we have had a difficult time with is canning potatoes. They tend to explode...

What is your procedure? I have done two batches of potatoes in the pst few weeks and no explosions. What is exploding? The jars, tops, or potatoes.

Do you have a Ball book? I use that recipes and have no trouble.

BTW, I also love canning. I think it is addictive.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
Redvelvet....... I dont cann potato thats Lisa 's dept
But welcome to our little group.

Its very addictive,,, I told my DD last night be prepared for a lot of canning ,,,,,she just made that fake grin. I think she is making plans already for Summer haha

Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

That is cool. I like goats cheese. Anyway after looking up some info it looks like goats yogurt is typically thinner. People who used gelatin said it gave it a
jello like texture. Someone else recommended using dry milk:

"The recipe calls for 2/3 cup of dry milk to one quart of goat's milk. The yogurt came out great. Thickness was about what you would expect from commercial yogurt made from cow's milk. Taste is typical goat's yogurt and delicious.
I found a store that is trying to order powdered goat's milk for me.

Fact is that powdered milk, (cow's), will thicken goat's milk yogurt.

Under no circumstance would I suggest the use of gelatin. Gelatin thickens yogurt but the texture is highly undesirable."

Quote from:
Fermentation Support Forum &bull; View topic - Thickening Goat's Milk Yogurt

Here are some other links for you to check:
Fias Co Farm/Dairy- Yogurt recipe

Meyenberg Goat Milk Products - Goat Milk Yogurt

Good luck.
Thanks for the links and the time you must have spent looking for a solution to my yogurt problem.

I am familiar with FiasCo Farm but not the others so I will check those out. I know FiasCo Farm recommends a dry culture they get from Supplier of cheesemaking supplies, cheese cultures, molds, lipase, rennet, yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk and fermented milk supplies : Dairy Connection Inc.. I think I will order some of that; I've wondered if the plain yogurt I get isn't "active" enough (when I can actually find it! believe it or not, I have a hard time finding the little containers of plain yogurt).

I am aware of the suggestion for adding powdered milk but I hadn't gotten around to trying that yet.

My first several attempts at yogurt were using the "crockpot method." In hindsight, my very first attempt was the one that came closest to yogurt but I gave it to the dogs because it wasn't thick enough. They must have really liked it because the second attempt, while it was in its last stage, they pulled the crockpot down off the counter and ate it. The third attempt didn't even come close to being what I would call yogurt.

Other people make it sound so easy. On one forum, a woman who lives in Texas said she wraps her jar in a towel and sets it outside during the summer and in seven or eight hours, joila'! she has yogurt.

I had pretty much given up until I bought this yogurt maker and I decided to give it another shot. I'm actually wondering if maybe this yogurt maker isn't working right - even though it looked brand new. I still had the little jars of liquid yogurt in my refrigerator and decided yesterday to try drinking one - thinking it would taste like yogurt, just liquid. But, hoo boy! it was freakin' NASTY! As in "gag me" nasty. Now, there's not much better than a nice, fresh, cold, creamy glass of goat milk, especially in the morning with a muffin or some toast, but when goat milk turns bad, it turns really, really bad, and that's what this yogurt tasted like. Blech. Makes me wonder if it's the yogurt maker; I know it doesn't take much heat for yogurt, but I could barely feel any coming from the yogurt maker at all. I'm thinking I'm going to buy a quart of cow's milk from the store and see if I can get a successful batch, maybe using the culture that FiasCo Farms suggests. And if I don't, maybe it turns out my five dollar investment wasn't so great after all.

I have been going to try the FiasCo Farms recipe for cottage cheese. Maybe I'll do that in the next couple of days.

I am actually in the process of drying up my goat. She has a little less than two months until the next "blessed event" and I'm only milking her once a day (and only getting about a quart) and I will need to dry her up completely in the next week or two to give her a "rest" so that she's in great shape for her next lactation.

Thanks again for your help, younglisa. My apologies for hijacking the apple butter thread - perhaps I should move this to a thread of its own?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
BTW, I also love canning. I think it is addictive.
It is addictive. LOL

In fact, for me, it's almost an ego thing - the self-satisfaction I get from looking at the jars of fruits and veggies and jams, all lined up and colorful and pretty, and knowing that I did that.

In fact, I hate putting the jars away in the closed off pantry, where nobody can see them, and will sometimes leave them sitting out so I can "oooh" and "ahhhhh" over them for a day or two.

Although in the past, I have canned - a lot! - I have done very little over the last several years (a little jam is all). I've had some issues with low energy and lack of motivation, most likely due to an accident at work that left me with a permanent disability, and have struggled a little. I'm hoping this year is the year I "snap out of it." Maybe I'll find some motivation, as well as the occasional kick in the butt, on this forum, 'eh?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
How do you prepare your apples? Do you blend them down at all?

That is cool. I like goats cheese. Anyway after looking up some info it looks like goats yogurt is typically thinner. People who used gelatin said it gave it a
jello like texture. Someone else recommended using dry milk:

"The recipe calls for 2/3 cup of dry milk to one quart of goat's milk. The yogurt came out great. Thickness was about what you would expect from commercial yogurt made from cow's milk. Taste is typical goat's yogurt and delicious.
I found a store that is trying to order powdered goat's milk for me.

Fact is that powdered milk, (cow's), will thicken goat's milk yogurt.

Under no circumstance would I suggest the use of gelatin. Gelatin thickens yogurt but the texture is highly undesirable."

Quote from:
Fermentation Support Forum &bull; View topic - Thickening Goat's Milk Yogurt

Here are some other links for you to check:
Fias Co Farm/Dairy- Yogurt recipe

Meyenberg Goat Milk Products - Goat Milk Yogurt

Good luck.
I mash them down before I measure them and use brown sugar (about 1/2 as much sugar as pulp) Also I like to use a little bit of lemon juice, but this is optional.

Nita

Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Apple butter takes soooooooo long. I make it every 2 or 3 years; otherwise I'd go nuts.

The first time I made it, I followed the instructions, which said to simmer the ground apples for x minutes. Well, after x minutes I peered into the pot and saw very thin applesauce. *sigh* It took 3 times as long to get it to a butter consistency.

Now I make it in the crock pot and let it cook overnight.
It does take longer than jam and I never use sure jell or anything like that when I make mine. Like you, I only make it every few years. We are finishing up what I made 2 years . Maybe this year I will do another 10 or so jars.

Nita

Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I am 43, me and my mom have started canning over the past few years, and it is awesome! The one thing we have had a difficult time with is canningt potatoes. They tend to explode...

Welcome, canning can be a wonderful way of bonding. That is why my dautghter and I have been doing it together for so many years. We are cutting back now that her kids are grown but we still spend hours in the kitchen together. Most of what we can we have to buy at farmers market. Hopefully this year we have have a good crop of tomaotes and peppers.

AS for potatoes, we used to do them but are not crazy over the flavor. We also make soup mix. Now, it is strictly hot bath canning for us: tomatoes, salsas, jams and jellies, pickles, relishes, beets and those type of things. The veggies are left for freezing.

As for your potatoes, I am guessing you are over processing or using too much pressure. If Lisa doesn't know I don't think any of us would.

Nita

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
Same here Ohio...mine cooks all night.... Hubby used to call it Tourture lol

my Daughter brings her friends over and shows our Canning goods off every time. Thats what they snack on...... I love making my own Stuff,

It be neat to find someone who would cann with me.......I think it be fun !

Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:

Its very addictive,,, I told my DD last night be prepared for a lot of canning ,,,,,she just made that fake grin. I think she is making plans already for Summer haha
I would have loved to learn canning from my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It is addictive. LOL

In fact, for me, it's almost an ego thing - the self-satisfaction I get from looking at the jars of fruits and veggies and jams, all lined up and colorful and pretty, and knowing that I did that.

In fact, I hate putting the jars away in the closed off pantry, where nobody can see them, and will sometimes leave them sitting out so I can "oooh" and "ahhhhh" over them for a day or two.
I love looking at all my jars. I just started using my pressure canner and some of those things look like school experiments, lol. I was so excited when I did carrots because they looked so pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I mash them down before I measure them and use brown sugar (about 1/2 as much sugar as pulp) Also I like to use a little bit of lemon juice, but this is optional.

Nita
I didn't add any sweetener. Do you think that made a difference?

The potatoes come out pretty good as home fries with breakfast. I read somewhere that one woman cuts them into strips like french fries and uses them for that. I think that might be to small for potatoes

Quote:
Same here Ohio...mine cooks all night.... Hubby used to call it Tourture lol

my Daughter brings her friends over and shows our Canning goods off every time. Thats what they snack on...... I love making my own Stuff,

It be neat to find someone who would cann with me.......I think it be fun !
I would love to have a canning pal

Boneless chicken breast is on sale this week. I will be canning some I have been eating it with a little mayo and cranberry sauce. It's kind of like a very mild tuna but no mercury concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes