U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,658,086 times
Reputation: 6459

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The problem with a really large canner is lifting it when it's full of water!
That might apply for a water bath, but you don't fill pressure canners with water - you only put in a couple of inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
18,260 posts, read 20,546,488 times
Reputation: 41059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
The ring looked good...... but it just would not lock right? It took 2 of us to get it open once it was locked.

I am looking on different Sites


How is things going with you?
Yep if it won't lock correctly don't mess with it just get a new one. I've been doing well still have this country dial up that I hate.

Today we went through my canning jars I sorted out over 150 to sell! Gosh it was hard doing that deciding which ones to give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,668 posts, read 83,230,487 times
Reputation: 41501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
That might apply for a water bath, but you don't fill pressure canners with water - you only put in a couple of inches.
you are right, I had forgotten that part. We use smaller canning pots for simply hot water baths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,668 posts, read 83,230,487 times
Reputation: 41501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Yep if it won't lock correctly don't mess with it just get a new one. I've been doing well still have this country dial up that I hate.

Today we went through my canning jars I sorted out over 150 to sell! Gosh it was hard doing that deciding which ones to give up.
We have pretty much gotten rid of all our quart jars. With the exception, maybe of tomatoes and salsa we just have no use for them. Mostly we can with pint jars and prefer wide mouth ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,308 posts, read 59,575,988 times
Reputation: 53802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
That might apply for a water bath, but you don't fill pressure canners with water - you only put in a couple of inches.
I forgot that, too. And my pressure canner is even a tad smaller than my water bath canner. Although once the water bath canner rusts out completely -- I'll give it another year or two -- then the pressure canner will become my water bath canner as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Michigan
859 posts, read 1,897,390 times
Reputation: 458
I use the quarts for Peaches, Pears, tomato's...... otherwise everything else gets Pints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,658,086 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I dont have room for a huge canner on the stove....
Then you need one of these for waterbath canning:

Electric Waterbath Canner - Kitchen Krafts

Yikes! I just noticed the price!

I bought one of these twenty years ago and I paid less than $100.00 - I think it was around $80.00.

Of course, mine isn't all streamlined and sleek-looking with that stainless steel - it's kind of a cream-colored enamel.

But holy moly! I love it! Since it plugs into a regular 110, you use less electricity than the stove. Also, by not having that hot burner operating under the canner, it puts out less heat, making canning on a hot summer afternoon a little more bearable.

And you can stack the jars. I've done as much as thirty-some pints of pickles in one load.

I also have close to 100% sealing success with it - it's very rare that I have a jar fail to seal when I'm using my Weck.

Last edited by Cinebar; 04-23-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,668 posts, read 83,230,487 times
Reputation: 41501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Then you need one of these for waterbath canning:

Electric Waterbath Canner - Kitchen Krafts

Yikes! I just noticed the price!

I bought one of these twenty years ago and I paid less than $100.00 - I think it was around $80.00.

Of course, mine isn't all streamlined and sleek-looking with that stainless steel - it's kind of a cream-colored enamel.

But holy moly! I love it! Since it plugs into a regular 110, you use less electricity than the stove. Also, by not having that hot burner operating under the canner, it puts out less heat, making canning on a hot summer afternoon a little more bearable.

And you can stack the jars. I've done as much as thirty-some pints of pickles in one load.

I also have close to 100% sealing success with it - it's very rare that I have a jar fail to seal when I'm using my Weck.
We purchased ours about 20 years ago, I think we did pay $100 and we enjoyed it, but with the ease in freezing plus the ease in just water bathing we found it just wasn't worth the hassle. Like you, I don't think we have 1 or 2 jars a year that do not seal just using a couple of large stock pot types for canning. The vegetables we blanch and freeze. The same with chilis, we roast them, steam them and put them in ziplock bags.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Michigan
859 posts, read 1,897,390 times
Reputation: 458
I cab get my Canner under it now but its tight lol....no wiggle room.

Beans are froze fresh and so is corn, now that I have that food saver its much better. But still using my Canner lol...... for other things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,658,086 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We purchased ours about 20 years ago, I think we did pay $100 and we enjoyed it, but with the ease in freezing plus the ease in just water bathing we found it just wasn't worth the hassle. Like you, I don't think we have 1 or 2 jars a year that do not seal just using a couple of large stock pot types for canning. The vegetables we blanch and freeze. The same with chilis, we roast them, steam them and put them in ziplock bags.

Nita
I actually prefer my veggies frozen. They end up with a fresher flavor and texture, IMO.

I used to pressure can my veggies, but one year, I pressure canned sixty-some quarts of peas - and anyone who has ever processed a lot of peas knows how time-consuming that would have been, all that shelling.

Well, anyway, the results were horrible. The peas were extremely starchy and just did NOT taste good. I am almost obsessive about not wasting food, but the chickens ended up getting all those peas that I worked so hard for.

From then on, I blanched and froze all my veggies - peas, beans, carrots, etc.

I even prefer freezing my tomatoes - it is very easy to do and it's very convenient to just take out as many as I need for my chili or stew or whatever I might want to throw a few handfuls of chopped, frozen tomatoes in (I also freeze them whole).

The Weck is great, though, for all high acid foods - like fruits and pickles.

I'd like to do a little more with my dehydrator this year. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top