Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,304,317 times

Advertisements

There are so many jams and jellies that I want to try.

Here's one that looks interesting.

Pina Colada Jam

Pina Colada Jam Recipe - Food.com - 135040
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
There are so many jams and jellies that I want to try.

Here's one that looks interesting.

Pina Colada Jam

Pina Colada Jam Recipe - Food.com - 135040
sounds yummy. My favorite is my 7 fruit marmalade. Our problem: hardliy anyone in the family eats much jam and jelly so I end up with jars and jars that I have for years. Usually after 3 years I just toss them. I know, they are supposed to good forever, but 3 years is long enough. I say every year I am cutting back, but it is just so rewarding and fun....

Nita

Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds yummy. My favorite is my 7 fruit marmalade. Our problem: hardliy anyone in the family eats much jam and jelly so I end up with jars and jars that I have for years. Usually after 3 years I just toss them. I know, they are supposed to good forever, but 3 years is long enough. I say every year I am cutting back, but it is just so rewarding and fun....

Nita
I found this:

50 Ways to Use Preserves, Jams, Jellies, Marmalades & Fruit Butters

The Hungry Texan: 50 Ways to Use Preserves, Jams, Jellies, Marmalades & Fruit Butters

Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 AM

859 posts, read 2,142,860 times
Whew,,,,,,, what a couple Weeks we had,,,,, between sweet 16 party for Daughter, picking up my Guys for the 10 Days home and then bringing them back, and then my Dad from Germany..... buying a truck for son...... I am POOPED OUT!

Now I am going to Strawberry Farm tomorrow and start my Jams I am not ready yawn !

Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM

41,772 posts, read 74,786,854 times
I made a strawberry jam with no added pectin -- and it set up! Woo-hoo! Took three days -- and the fruit is floating -- but it set up!

*happy dance*

I gotta work on that fruit floating thing. It's really not a big deal because you can stir the jam when you open the jar, but the jars sure would look prettier if the fruit was better distributed. Maybe I'm not chopping the fruit into small enough pieces?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I made a strawberry jam with no added pectin -- and it set up! Woo-hoo! Took three days -- and the fruit is floating -- but it set up!

*happy dance*

I gotta work on that fruit floating thing. It's really not a big deal because you can stir the jam when you open the jar, but the jars sure would look prettier if the fruit was better distributed. Maybe I'm not chopping the fruit into small enough pieces?
Did you use less sugar or sugar substitute? I make most of mine without pectin but not all of it. I do not adjust the sugar at all.

Nita

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM

41,772 posts, read 74,786,854 times
I did use less sugar -- the recipe called for 6 cups and I cut it back to 2.

That was the first time I made a jam without pectin. I'm not crazy about standing over a boiling pot of jam for 10 - 15 minutes, but I guess it could be worse ...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:

That was the first time I made a jam without pectin. I'm not crazy about standing over a boiling pot of jam for 10 - 15 minutes, but I guess it could be worse ...
just look at it this way: be thankful we are not our grandmothers and great grandmothers who had no choice and no air conditioning, sometimes no fans and they didn't even wear shorts.

Nita

Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM

859 posts, read 2,142,860 times
I make my Jam with Corn starch...... not Pectin. I made 39 Pints of Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam today.......

tomorrow making a few Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie Fillings .... then that should be all done

Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:

*happy dance*

Congratualtions

Quote:

I hate the amount of sugar in jams.

What is are the pros and cons of not using pectin?

I just bought the low/no sugar pectin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I make my Jam with Corn starch...... not Pectin. I made 39 Pints of Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam today.......

tomorrow making a few Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie Fillings .... then that should be all done
Oh yum...I am jealous. I am still waiting for some good fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes