U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM

859 posts, read 1,903,363 times

Advertisements

That would be awesome,,,, I like the books but I prefer recipes from People that already canned and love their recipes?! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,578,112 times
@ jasmin I found the recipe in ball book of preserving. The big book.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM

32,413 posts, read 59,910,649 times
Yes, that's the one I use.

1/2 C white vinegar
6 C chopped pitted peeled peaches
1 1/2 C chopped red onion
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 C loosely packed finely chopped cilantro
2 T liquid honey
1 1/2 t cumin
1/2 t cayenne pepper

Bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Ladle into hot 1/2 pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM

72,073 posts, read 83,735,637 times
ok, I imagine I will only do a little more this year: I want to find some tomatoes and apparently that is about the only thing we got that was worth much this year. Of course I have already done a bunch of salsa but I would love to do some tomatoes only. I usually do them in pints, not quarts...

today in the paper, there was another article about the drought, AR is the most extreme drought state there is this year, so you guys can imagine how bad it is.

Because of the horrible spring and summer I am hearing and reading the appple crop this year, what apples there are will be about 4 weeks ahead of time so think I am going to start checking out any apple farms in SW Mo...maybe I can get enough to make some apple butter in the next few weeks.

Nita

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM

18,271 posts, read 20,607,018 times
Bet those apples are going to be tiny too.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM

394 posts, read 1,491,016 times
Hi all, I asked a question in Food about canning and my glass top stove. I'll try to find the manufacturer's instructions online to see if its safe to can on my stove, but I've also found a stand alone water bath canner ($$) that I'm considering. Pressure canners are cheaper. Anyone know whether pressure canners can be used on a smooth top stove? It seems it wouldn't matter because its a whole different animal. Are there some type of foods that can't be pressure canned? I'm most interested in canning pickles and zucchini relish based on the garden at the moment. :-) Thanks!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Relish and pickles are best canned in a water bath canner -- the pressure would turn them to mush -- but you can use your pressure canner as a water bath canner as well. Fruit products, because of their high acid content, don't need to be processed in a pressure canner.

All vegetables that aren't pickled must be processed in a pressure canner. Most tomato products can go either way; it depends on the recipe.

To turn the pressure canner into a water bath canner, all you do is sit the lid on top of the canner, without tightening it, and process as usual.

And you have to read the instructions that come with the pressure canner. Some, like mine, are too small to use as a water bath canner with quart jars; the pot isn't tall enough to cover the quart jars with water. Otherwise, it's fine to use as a water bath canner.

I'm making yellow-tomato salsa as we speak ...

Old 08-17-2012, 06:06 PM

859 posts, read 1,903,363 times
WOHOOOO U guys I finally bought a Nice BIG Canner.....

Thanks for the Recipe ! Will try that for sure !

Apples here are already up being the warmth we had in spring it gave thme a early start........ Peaches are up too but more $ then last year for sure.

Tomatos are $ 15 !!!!! A basket !!!!!!!!! HOLY MOLY glad I did my garden now !

Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Yay!

All this canning is giving me hot flashes ...

Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM

18,271 posts, read 20,607,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Congrats you'll find all kinds of things to pressure can and wonder what took so long getting to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or