U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I take the rings off, too, but I only have so many that aren't so badly rusted that they're unusable. The stuff I canned yesterday afternoon can't be de-ringed (is that a word? LOL) until today, so I had to stop canning.

And it seems that the rings rust a lot faster than they used to. Sometimes I can scrape the rust off, but it's harder to do that on the inside, where it matters the most.

Earlier today I checked Lehman's online, and you can buy rings only, in bulk. I think I may do that.
before canning next year I think I will check on line for all of it; rings, seals etc. Maybe I should check our nearby amish store as well. l am hoping to do some tomato sause (more) and some apples, but I haven't seen any priced low enough to bother, plus my step mom is hanging on to life by a thread, so we may be heading to Ca before long. I am not sad, I am happy for her. She is almost 95, has not been without pain for about 10 years and the time has come for her to join my dad.\\

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,040,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
lol I love the time it takes to make Apple Butter, makes the whole House smell good !

the Amish store here sells rings by the BOX full ...... I always pick some up ......
As much as I love the smell of apple butter cooking down, I can't handle the time it takes to do so. It seems like I never have enough burners! LOL

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Apple butter is an entire-weekend project, LOL. I remember the first time I made it, looking into the pot after the recommended cooking time had completed, and thinking "If I quit now, I have sauce ... "

I wanted to make peach butter, but just didn't have the time to cook it before the peaches started to go south.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM

347 posts, read 716,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would like to do canning but I have always been afraid of it. The health risks.
Theres probably a lot more health risk eating a can of tomatoes lined with BPA from the store.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,373,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Apple butter is an entire-weekend project, LOL. I remember the first time I made it, looking into the pot after the recommended cooking time had completed, and thinking "If I quit now, I have sauce ... "

I wanted to make peach butter, but just didn't have the time to cook it before the peaches started to go south.
I want to make both apple butter and peach butter oh and pear butter.

I am going to cheat and use the crock pot to cook it down

Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I want to make both apple butter and peach butter oh and pear butter.

I am going to cheat and use the crock pot to cook it down
I did up a batch of quarts, of apple pie filling last night, then ended up with some apple slices left over. I decided to bake up an apple/blueberry crisp. That got me thinking.....Hmmmmm?? I wonder what blueberry apple butter would taste like!? I might try a small batch of that, because the filling for the crisp was amazing! LOL

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM

9 half pints of tomato salsa and 9 half pints of peach salsa last night. Odd how that worked out. One jar didn't seal; just as well, I'll take it with me to my mom's this weekend.

Tonight I've gotta tackle those blueberries before they wither away to nothing! I'm almost out of half pint jars ...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM

LOL....I'm always conflicted when one jar doesn't seal. Am I disappointed, or am I thrilled that I get to sample the fruits of my labor?

Got another batch of blackberries picked and made into jam yesterday too. We're up to 7 pints and 15-10oz jars of that now. Yaaay!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 AM

There is no more fresh produce in my fridge! Hooray!

Last night I used up the rest of the tomatoes I'd picked for tomato jam, and the blueberries and peaches for jam both spiced and straight. Yay!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 AM

LOL....Oh gosh, isn't that a wonderful feeling?....knowing you've made it through the fresh stuff?

We sorted through the boxes of peaches yesterday but there weren't a great deal that could be done up. We took out everything that had nicks or spots that looked like they were going to start going quickly. Also, there were only about 20 pears that were ready. We were hoping that more would be ready, because we both have to work for the next 4 days. That figures, huh?

I had DD pick up some ClearJel, because I've been reading about it and pulled some recipes from the Internet and wanted to try them out (cost/sugar). I have to say, for all the hundreds of quarts of apple pie filling I've canned over the years, using plain corn starch, I've never had any come out with such amazing texture and color. Beautiful stuff!

With most of the peaches yesterday, I ended up with 15 jars of the most fabulous peach jam I think I've ever made....using the ClearJel instead of pectin. Cost-wise, it's a little cheaper than pectin. I've never tried the "low-sugar" pectin, but it's wonderful that the ClearJel isn't dependent on sugar to thicken it. Another thing I used many years ago, was "Minute-Tapioca", but the price of that has gone through the roof!!

We also ended up with 7 quarts of mixed peaches/pears.....but discovered this morning that one of them didn't seal. Sneak preview I guess. LOL

Ohio....yet another thing I haven't tried.....tomato jam? One of these days I simply have to get brave enough to do small batches of both tomato and peach/blueberry!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or