U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM

859 posts, read 1,902,742 times

Advertisements

lol at moving tohouston

I am doing potatos this week,,,,, any tips? fresh out of the ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,048,282 times
Speaking of doing things for hubby...or in this case, her daddy....my daughter made hubby a batch of Jalapeno jelly. LOL She was so proud of herself!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Speaking of doing things for hubby...or in this case, her daddy....my daughter made hubby a batch of Jalapeno jelly. LOL She was so proud of herself!
love Jalapeno jelly, the only problem, the last I made was about as think as car lubricant or something. It could be used for paste I guess. Actually, when mixed with something it is fine. Good for your daughter..Canning is such a wonderful feeling; just to know you did it and know your heart is in what you did. and

I am still hoping to do some apples and a few more tomatoes before the season is over...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love Jalapeno jelly, the only problem, the last I made was about as think as car lubricant or something. It could be used for paste I guess. Actually, when mixed with something it is fine. Good for your daughter..Canning is such a wonderful feeling; just to know you did it and know your heart is in what you did. and

I am still hoping to do some apples and a few more tomatoes before the season is over...
There is a part of my heart that is saying, "MUST DO MORE!", but the practical side is saying, "Must get OTHER things done on my couple of days off, because the paths are getting narrower and narrower!!" LOL Other than tuna fish, I think I'm going to have to be done for now. Not only have we nearly run out of space for storage (without making more work for ourselves), but there's just so much to get done before winter sets in.

The next couple of days need to be dedicated to cutting and hauling in firewood for the winter. Happy canning all!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,576,370 times
Don't have any idea what to do with the potatoes. I am hoping the price of apples come down. I want to try apple butter this year and make some applesauce.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM

859 posts, read 1,902,742 times
Our Apples are still way too high......

Doing Potatos,,, first time this year, Figured it be a good thing as a lot of times we dont use the potatos on time and they go bad this way i wont have to worrie about it.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,388,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Our Apples are still way too high......

Doing Potatos,,, first time this year, Figured it be a good thing as a lot of times we dont use the potatos on time and they go bad this way i wont have to worrie about it.
I did potatoes last winter. They are great for frying. Make sure not to cut them too small....they will turn mushy. Also try to keep them fairly uniform.

Here is the recipe:
Canning Potatoes, Step by step instructions using a pressure canner.

And a nice picture blog
Canning Granny: Canning Potatoes

Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,388,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Don't have any idea what to do with the potatoes. I am hoping the price of apples come down. I want to try apple butter this year and make some applesauce.

I just picked 30 pounds of apples. I made 6 quarts of apple pie filling and 10 pints of applesauce.

I hope the price comes down for you soon.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM

32,390 posts, read 59,868,870 times
I'm getting apples this weekend. Don't know what I'll do with them -- probably spiced rings and apple pie filling. Yummy.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 PM

You guys rock! Have fun with those apples! We headed out today and cut and split 2 cord of firewood. Tomorrow's my last day off and hopefully, we'll get another 2 cord. Great deal at $55/cord/u-cut...but lordy, the old body is feeling the pain. LOL It would be so nice if that's all we'll need for winter! My work week is going to start out with me plumb exhausted though. Canning would have been much easier. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or