U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,310,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm getting apples this weekend. Don't know what I'll do with them -- probably spiced rings and apple pie filling. Yummy.
Yum...I have an apple crisp in the oven now from the apples I canned this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You guys rock! Have fun with those apples! We headed out today and cut and split 2 cord of firewood. Tomorrow's my last day off and hopefully, we'll get another 2 cord. Great deal at $55/cord/u-cut...but lordy, the old body is feeling the pain. LOL It would be so nice if that's all we'll need for winter! My work week is going to start out with me plumb exhausted though. Canning would have been much easier. LOL
Ugh...don't remind me. Dh and I sealed a section of driveway this morning with 40 gallons of sealer. Then I went and picked about 10 pounds more of apples. This weekend will be more wood cutting.

Take it easy and give your body a break

I will be canning pinto beans tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,008,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yum...I have an apple crisp in the oven now from the apples I canned this week

Ugh...don't remind me. Dh and I sealed a section of driveway this morning with 40 gallons of sealer. Then I went and picked about 10 pounds more of apples. This weekend will be more wood cutting.

Take it easy and give your body a break

I will be canning pinto beans tomorrow.
I'm not sure what's worse, you know...KNOWING that the wood needs to be gotten in for winter, stressing about not having the wood in yet, or actually GETTING the wood cut and in. LOL Well...it's in. Most of the wood today had to be split with the sledge & wedges, but it's in! LOL

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM

859 posts, read 1,897,945 times
Thanks for the blog on potatos Lisa.... cant wait to make them

Still no apples........ I miss my apple Smells .......

Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 AM

I do hope you get apples, Jasmin. Yes, the smell of apples is amazing. Now that wood is in, I honestly believe I'm ready for a few more apples, if only for apple butter. LOL

Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM

did 14 quarts of Potatos yesterday,,,, my fingers are in bad shape,,, I had to peal potatos the size of a golfball !!!!! lol But they are so pretty looking now..... anyone else who does Potatos here? I have a question,,,,,,on why my fluid is over the potatos when I start but once I take it out of the Canner its way below it. I followed the directions to the *T* ~

Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Raw potatoes have a tendency to soak up water. Also, did your jars boil so hard that some of your water came out? Congrats to you, btw. I haven't done potatoes for many years. I did those little "new" potatoes, many years ago, but I just used one of the heavy duty scrubbers to "peel" them. LOL

Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 PM

18,261 posts, read 20,552,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
did 14 quarts of Potatos yesterday,,,, my fingers are in bad shape,,, I had to peal potatos the size of a golfball !!!!! lol But they are so pretty looking now..... anyone else who does Potatos here? I have a question,,,,,,on why my fluid is over the potatos when I start but once I take it out of the Canner its way below it. I followed the directions to the *T* ~
They do soak up water might not of had your lids down tight enough as long as they sealed don't worry about it though. Did they stay white after canning?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,310,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post

Congrats on the potatoes. I just checked mine and on one batch the water is throughout. My other, goof batch, is mushy, lol. My pressure dropped a little below what it was supposed to be and I had to start the time over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Raw potatoes have a tendency to soak up water. Also, did your jars boil so hard that some of your water came out? Congrats to you, btw. I haven't done potatoes for many years. I did those little "new" potatoes, many years ago, but I just used one of the heavy duty scrubbers to "peel" them. LOL
I'm going to try the small potatoes next time and leave the skin on. I usually make fried potatoes with them so it will be fine.....but the other potatoes go on sale more...hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
They do soak up water might not of had your lids down tight enough as long as they sealed don't worry about it though. Did they stay white after canning?
Mine turned yellowish. I think you told me it was because of the kind of potato I used

The kids were here yesterday and we tool a hike. We found more apple trees. I have another 20 pounds and my stepdaughter took her apple peeler home with her

Jasmin..it looks like you and I both need one of these:
Amazon.com: Victorio VKP1010 Apple and Potato Peeler, Suction Base: Home & Kitchen

Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 AM

The reason I decided to can the little potatoes, is that I had far more "new potatoes" in the garden, than I could use right away. When I harvested in the fall and started sorting the little guys out, I decided to scrub and can up a couple of canners of the little ones. It was wonderful, to be able to open those jars...heat and eat! LOL

The scrubbers that I use to "peel" vegetables, sometimes...are the Super-heavy-duty ScotchBrite scrubbers. I think they're marketed for cleaning BBQs. You ought to see how fast those buggers "peel" carrots, too! They also work beautifully for removing the finish on painted furniture that you're stripping. Obviously, you don't want to use the SAME scrubber!!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Seal was on tight...... water in canner was clear and only had the leftover water from Water/ Vinegar mix. I procssed at 10 lb for 40 min. ( quarts)

they are not as white as when I put them in,,,,but still white.... all sealed. The fluid is VERY thick inside now,,,,,they must have had a LOT of starch left even after I rinsed and re- rinsed and pre- cooked ( I use little white potatos whole)

well I guess I can just throw away the top 2 that might turn brown......but health wise they should be ok right?

How do you do the Potatos when you make them a Raw pack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or