U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Oh tuna !!!!!!! I am filled with envy ! lol

Ship me some would ya

Looking for carrots at this time,,,, still hoping for Apples but not looking good ...very pricey.

I am out of room so I was looking at more cabinets ....... I keep telling hubby lets sell the House so we can buy a House with a Basement lol
wow, it sounds like you could probably use a warehouse, not just a basement...

I did manage to get a great deal on Apples today. I couldn't get Pippins or granny smith, but I did get jonathans which I can use for cooking. I will do my canning and my apple butter tomorrow, but nothing like the amount you are doing...Maybe you should try and get a job on the Food Network, working side by side with Pioneer Woman.???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM

859 posts, read 1,902,196 times
lol I thought I didnt do that much........ I figured I didnt do enough !

LOL @ Pioneer women ,,,,,, I dont like her ......

Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
We don't need no Pioneer Woman!

When all else fails, ask yourself this:

What would Ma Ingalls do?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,041,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We don't need no Pioneer Woman!

When all else fails, ask yourself this:

What would Ma Ingalls do?
Amen to that! You know what my friends, I've got a more realistic role model though. When it comes to the kitchen, whether it be baking, growing, preserving or just basic meals...I just say, "What would MOM do?". Of course, I can't give her 100% of the credit. You see, my father built her the most functional kitchen and she had a "pantry" ROOM attached to that kitchen!

As some of you know, the kitchen we're working in now is our "new" kitchen, that we had to rebuild after our fire last year. The canning process was far more time consuming this year, because we had to actually FIND all of the canning equipment, because it had been stored away. We only moved what we really needed, back into the kitchen, after the fire. Turns out, we are now discovering that we didn't take into account, CANNING. LOL

That's one of the winter projects. With the new projections for the economy coming out, it's time to do some rethinking of how we're going to make that almighty dollar stretch even thinner. I'm going to have to go back to my "old" ways. When I make a pot of chili for dinner, I need to pull out the BIG pot, so that I can make dinner and put up a canner of chili as well. Beef stew?...make it in the stock pot and put up a canner at the same time. It means keeping some empty jars close by, but it also means storage space isn't wasted on empty jars.

My friends, I can't help but chuckle when I see comments in some of our other threads, comments that talk about how EASY women have it these days, with microwaves, box mixes, heat and eat foods, etc. I wonder what kind of life some of those folks have lived, that they don't believe that people actually cook from scratch anymore. Clearly, those folks never bother to visit threads like this one. I am so proud and grateful to have you folks as my friends...my fellow "pioneer-stock-in-the-flesh" mates!!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 AM

qUOTE=Jasmin71;26334889]lol I thought I didnt do that much........ I figured I didnt do enough !

LOL @ Pioneer women ,,,,,, I dont like her ......[/quote]

I haven't watched her, but I kinda thought she would be fun to watch. Maybe I won't bother, if you don't like her... You and I normally agree. As for "just ask mom" in my case, that would be a disaster, just ask dad, that would be a better answer. Mom didn't like to cook, but made a few good dishes, dad loved to cook; our kitchen might have been considered a work of art at the time, but that was in the 50s and 60s. Today it would be considered a has been. Still it did the job and we ate well..

Ohiogirl: I wanted to think of the Pioneer woman as Ma Ingalls, now my thoughts are shattered.
I guess I will just go tend to my apples.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
qUOTE=Jasmin71;26334889]lol I thought I didnt do that much........ I figured I didnt do enough !

LOL @ Pioneer women ,,,,,, I dont like her ......
I haven't watched her, but I kinda thought she would be fun to watch. Maybe I won't bother, if you don't like her... You and I normally agree. As for "just ask mom" in my case, that would be a disaster, just ask dad, that would be a better answer. Mom didn't like to cook, but made a few good dishes, dad loved to cook; our kitchen might have been considered a work of art at the time, but that was in the 50s and 60s. Today it would be considered a has been. Still it did the job and we ate well..

Ohiogirl: I wanted to think of the Pioneer woman as Ma Ingalls, now my thoughts are shattered.
I guess I will just go tend to my apples.[/quote]

Hahaha Love your comment about your mom not liking to cook. I really was lucky to have a mother who not only was a great cook, but LOVED to cook. Well, I'm not sure that she actually loved the cooking part, but she LIVED to make people happy with food. Because of that, she tried lots of new recipes and really was excellent at it. She got better at it all the time! If it wasn't an OOOO...AHHHH "I gotta have seconds" dish, she either changed it or simply moved on.

Okay...got fresh cranberries yesterday, I'm headed to the kitchen to do up a mess of muffins & cranberry breads for the freezer!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM

I just finished by apples, they are taking their bath right now. I did 4 quarts and 2 pints. I also did 6 pints of apple butter this am, it is so good, I am going to look for more apples when we head for MO in about 10 days. I would love to do about a 1/2 doz more or even `a dozen so I have some to give away.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Woooo hooooo!! Great news!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 PM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Eating my last jar of cranberry applesauce I made 2 years ago. Time to make more!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM

18,270 posts, read 20,594,002 times
Apples at an open market up north were $38 per bushel mostly red or golden delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or