Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 02:57 AM

283 posts, read 725,763 times

Advertisements

There is a bakery near me that makes a very delicious cake. It has a light and fluffy frosting that isn't too sweet. I haven't tried to bake a cake before, but I want to see if I can make something similar to it. I found a picture of it below.

I've seen web sites that talk about frosting, and apparently there are a lot of different types. I don't know if you guys can tell what kind of frosting it is by looking at the picture. I read one page that said whipped cream frosting is good with cakes that have fruit, so I wonder if this might be whipped cream frosting.

Also, any idea what kind of topping is on the frosting along the side of the cake? It's not hard when you eat it, so I don't think it is made out of nuts.

And it looks like the cake is just a yellow cake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 05:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,548,436 times
looks like stabilized whipped cream frosting and toasted coconut pressed onto the sides.

For stabilized whipped cream, you add dissolved plain gelatin to heavy cream before you whip it up with some sugar and lemon juice

Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 AM

1,371 posts, read 652,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
looks like stabilized whipped cream frosting and toasted coconut pressed onto the sides.

For stabilized whipped cream, you add dissolved plain gelatin to heavy cream before you whip it up with some sugar and lemon juice
I was thinking same thing.

There's a commercial product that's also used for stabilized whipped cream. Dr Oetker Whip It is a product commonly available to home cooks. It gives more of the commercial bakery stabilized whipped cream feel. You can also use xanthan gum and I believe there's another product or 2 that can be used.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post

For the stabilized whipped cream, can I just find any stabilized whipped cream recipe and also add some strawberry puree to it? That wouldn't upset the balance/stability of the recipe, would it?

Also, I was just looking at some reviews for that bakery, and one of the commenters mentioned that the stuff on the side is probably some sort of caramel. I found a better picture of that below.

But toasted coconut sounds like a really good idea, so maybe I will go with that! How would I apply the toasted coconut onto the side of the cake though? It's not like I can turn the cake on its side and sprinkle it on top.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:19 PM

If you add more liquid in the form of pureed strawberries, you have to compensate by adding more gelatin or whatever else you are using to stabilize.

Pretty sure that is toasted coconut and then ground up or vice versa. Could also be some kind of nut or a mixture of coconut and nuts. Did the cake have anything about a nut allergy on the display? I seriously doubt it is tiny pieces of caramel because A) it's not generally used as a solid on a cake, and B) toasted coconut is going to go well with the fruit, which caramel is not such a great food match. Toasted ground coconut is going to have a bit of a taste like caramel because the sugar in the coconut caramelizes as it toasts.

You frost the cake and, depending on the frosting you are using, let it sit up in the refrigerator for a while. I've never tried to put stuff on the side of a cake with a whipped cream frosting so can't speak to how long to let it sit, but it has to be stiff enough to hold the weight of what you are putting on it. Then, pick the coconut or nuts up in your hand and pat in on using your palms.

Here's a video. She uses large flakes of coconut, but the technique is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OIIleyWA4

Do you realize there is a glaze on the fruit? Probably apricot preserve based as that's the most common.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:32 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,890,472 times
OP you said you've never baked a cake before so if I were you I wouldn't start with whipped cream frosting. It takes some experience working with heavy cream to get the consistency right. If you overdo it, you'll end up with butter instead of frosting.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with the other posters. I don't think it's a whipped cream frosting because it looks like it has more density to it than most whipped cream icings which are very light and fluffy.

Why not start with a nice easy butter cream frosting? The recipes are very easy to make and I think that's what's on the cake in the photo. Once you get the hang of baking and frosting a cake then you can move on to whipped cream frosting.

The sides of the cake look like they were decorated with a very fine ground nut mixture or toasted coconut. The video shows how to do it with your hand but I usually use a spatula to put sprinkles, coconut or other decorations on the cake because for me, I feel like I have more control and it's less messy.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I just went to the bakery's web site, and they actually have this description of the cake:

"Made with moist yellow sponge cake, layered with our decadent strawberry cream filling, topped with freshly sliced fruits, encased in pectin glaze, and rolled in homemade caramel Croquant. This item is nut-free."

I guess I'll go with the toasted coconut. I'm not really seeing any recipes for caramel croquant, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Do you realize there is a glaze on the fruit? Probably apricot preserve based as that's the most common.
Yeah I was wondering about that too, but I didn't want to be too annoying with so many questions!

Old 06-18-2021, 05:22 PM

caramel Croquant recipe

https://www.marthastewart.com/1160013/almond-croquant

if you don't want to use butter, use something like Pam or you can use parchment or some kind of silpat.

You'll need a pretty good food processor or lots of time and arm strength to break it up that fine.

You'd probably do better using an apricot glaze than messing with a pectin glaze. Jacques Pepin just heats up apricot preserves just until they liquefy, like 10 seconds in microwave, don't want too hot, and then brush onto the fruit.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Also, I'm going to have to disagree with the other posters. I don't think it's a whipped cream frosting because it looks like it has more density to it than most whipped cream icings which are very light and fluffy.
Perhaps you are right. I just looked at the reviews again, and one person said the cake has "a very light whipped frosting and strawberry whipped buttercream-like filling between the layers". So perhaps the white frosting on top is whipped cream and the strawberry frosting in the middle is buttercream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
caramel Croquant recipe

https://www.marthastewart.com/1160013/almond-croquant

You'd probably do better using an apricot glaze than messing with a pectin glaze. Jacques Pepin just heats up apricot preserves just until they liquefy, like 10 seconds in microwave, don't want too hot, and then brush onto the fruit.
Almond is the same as caramel? And thanks for mentioning the apricot preserves, I will definitely be picking up some of those.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:38 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,594,802 times
Maybe it is ermine frosting.

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/ermine-frosting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes