Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 01:16 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

I came across a terrific cookbook years ago. You can pick it up used but I highly recommend it for a beginner. Don't mind the title.

Your Time to Cook: A First Cookbook for Newlyweds, Couples & Lovers

Robert L Blakeslee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 09:23 PM

3,487 posts, read 1,407,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
He probably
1) had no particular interest in learning
2) had somebody else to cook for him (so no pressure to learn), and
3) may have believed it was somehow beneath him to learn to cook

There are loads of male chefs, so the gender thing is a no-go.

You, on the other hand, are interested in learning to cook. That puts you in a different class from your dad.

I enjoy watching videos to learn new techniques. It's better than just a written book or recipe because you can see what the cook is doing.
Instead of reading "season the steak", you see the cook grab a handful of salt and strew it over the meat. Like watching your grandma cook!
Watching videos might be a better idea. Are there good YouTube channels you can recommend?

Old 03-28-2023, 09:25 PM

3,487 posts, read 1,407,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
How are guys bad at cooking a lot of the top chefs in the world are make. Cooking is easy I learned by watching as a kid so go watch YouTube videos. See techniques and learn flavors go together. Cooking is easy!
It’s actually not as easy as you think. I make fried eggs occasionally for breakfast and still mess it up sometimes. It’s so darn difficult to flip the egg over perfectly without ruining the egg or the yolk! Grrrrr…..

Boiling eggs, on the other hand, is very easy!

Old 03-28-2023, 11:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Watching videos might be a better idea. Are there good YouTube channels you can recommend?
Pro Home Cooks
https://www.youtube.com/@ProHomeCooks

These guys do a lot of simple recipes but not all are very simple. I think that they have about 500 videos on this channel and probably 4M subscribers.

I like that they are adventurous and will try just about anything.

==========================

As for the eggs, I find that it is a lot easier to make a good fried egg than a boiled one.

The critical step of frying an egg is making sure that the pan is sufficiently hot and has enough fat in the pan to prevent the egg from sticking.

The critical steps of boiling an egg is to use a timer to ensure you reach the desired doneness.

Cooking is a matter of getting a lot of practice and learning very basic techniques. The most critical techniques to learn is proper knife handling. Take that advice from someone who has been cut by nearly every knife there is. (Oyster knives are the worst and encouraged me to purchase special gloves.

The one advantage of using YouTube video is that you can hit pause and replay. The worst part of it is that there are a lot of poorly conceived and fraudulent recipes out there. What I mean is that there are several websites that show some really cool things. However, when experienced trained chefs try to reproduce them, they cannot do them.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:03 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,470,404 times
How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman helped me when I was learning.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:18 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Late entry:
I am fond of the Joy Of Cooking. Very readable and entertaining, as well as informative.
If you prefer video, consider Alton Brown's "GOOD EATS". Also entertaining, and informative. (Mr Wizard meets Monty Python)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTaTxsIFWrs

. .. .
Cooking success is often due to one's cookware.

An Instant Pot pressure cooker is a useful tool for novices. The timer and thermostatic control allows it to perform as a slow cooker (like a crock pot), pressure cooker, sous vide, rice cooker, as well as other tasks. It won't do "rocket hot" stir frying though. That's the realm of cast iron and carbon steel (not stainless steel !)

A pressure cooker is a great tool, and often underrated.
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pr...ooker-recipes/
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/1...they-got-there)

A neophyte cook could probably do well with one Instant Pot, one cast iron skillet, and a small stainless steel sauce pan or pot (1 to 2 qt). Avoid nonstick pans. repeat. Avoid nonstick pans. They're generally a waste of money, and will lose their coating into your food. (Yech!). (Nonstick coating on thermostatic controlled pans perform better, due in part to the control of heat. Unfortunately stove top pans often get exposed to excessively high temperatures that cause the coating to begin to break down...)

A simple taste test of the difference between pots. Put one cup of water in a used nonstick coated pan, bring to boil, then pour into a cup, let cool. Put one cup of water in a stainless steel pan, bring to boil, pour into another cup, also let cool. Taste each. I found that the nonstick is wretched. Case closed.

Special mention. If you're experimenting with low carb eating (Ketogenic diet, Carnivore diet, etc), you might benefit from a waffle maker. (Dash Mini is a popular choice).
Why a waffle maker?
The chaffle.
It's an egg & cheese waffle that can be transformed into a host of substitutions for bread, pizza crust, okonomiyaki, and so on. You can add shredded vegetables, cooked meats, etc, etc. Wonderful gadget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ93bN7wZ2M

Old 06-14-2023, 12:49 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A piece of advice for ALL home cooks.

Have a fire extinguisher

Good idea!

Years ago when still living with my parents I'd get home from work before them and would sometimes try to have dinner ready when they got home. One time I was trying a recipe of chicken breasts in a cream/cognac sauce that was flambeed I didn't realize how warmed cognac would react, the flames bouncing off the ceiling were quite impressive and seemed to amuse my pet parakeet. Fortunately the flames were literally a flash in the pan and no living creatures were harmed preparing dinner.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:29 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good idea!

Years ago when still living with my parents I'd get home from work before them and would sometimes try to have dinner ready when they got home. One time I was trying a recipe of chicken breasts in a cream/cognac sauce that was flambeed I didn't realize how warmed cognac would react, the flames bouncing off the ceiling were quite impressive and seemed to amuse my pet parakeet. Fortunately the flames were literally a flash in the pan and no living creatures were harmed preparing dinner.

I burned my eyebrows off. Does that count as harm?

Old 06-15-2023, 08:55 AM

12,396 posts, read 9,502,300 times
So I have this book collecting dinner recipes from the monthly magazine, Cooking Light - "Cooking Light the Essential Dinner Tonight Cookbook". The recipes are still tasty, but they are relatively simple, and don't take a great deal of time, and, they tend to be lower in sugar, salt, and fat than classic recipes.
https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Essen...6840318&sr=1-8

I just tried to look up their website, and I see that Cooking Light has been merged with Eating Well, and it looks like they have a lot of recipes available for free on their website. There are all kinds of interesting categories of recipes there, like Mediterranean Diet, Healthy Dinner Recipes for Two...
https://www.eatingwell.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes