Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 11:20 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,104 times

Advertisements

After a frozen dough ball becomes soft again, do I need to knead it? Let it rise again?

Trying this for the first time; don't know what to expect....

My frozen cheese pizza turned out very well; just like commercially available products. I'm gonna now mass-produce and keep in my freezer so I am always 20 minutes from fresh baked pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 11:07 AM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Don't knead. Spread it out in the pan and let it rest. It may rise a little, but if you did a slow rise initially, it won't rise much. Also, how you thaw it makes a difference. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and good. Thaw in the microwave and some of the yeast may decide to give up.

I don't make more than two or three dough balls at a time. The thaw freeze cycle of my frostfree freezer means after a month or two they don't taste as good.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
I have not frozen my pizza dough but have frozen bread dough.

Start thawing it overnight in the refrigerator and then put out at (cool) room temp the next morning. I did knead mine again after it thawed. Worked great. Yeast dough is surprisingly adaptable and forgiving, so give it a brief kneading and let rest again before baking.

Don’t worry too much—homemade dough is not expensive!

Old 03-16-2023, 12:13 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I can only tell you how I treat the brand that I buy. Take out of the freezer and put it into the fridge the night before. In the morning, coat it with olive oil and put it in a large bowl and let it rise. I don't knead it, but it does get punched down when it is spread for the pizza crust. Hand stretch, do not roll or press.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:21 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
After a frozen dough ball becomes soft again, do I need to knead it? Let it rise again?

Trying this for the first time; don't know what to expect....

My frozen cheese pizza turned out very well; just like commercially available products. I'm gonna now mass-produce and keep in my freezer so I am always 20 minutes from fresh baked pizza.
It thaws in less than 20 minutes?? Dang. You must keep a hot house LOL!

Old 03-16-2023, 12:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It thaws in less than 20 minutes?? Dang. You must keep a hot house LOL!
That was referring to the frozen pizza I already made. No thawing there; I just send the frozen raw pie directly into the oven, and 20 minutes later it is ready to eat. I think this process is same for those commercially made frozen pizza, right?

Old 03-16-2023, 04:30 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
That was referring to the frozen pizza I already made. No thawing there; I just send the frozen raw pie directly into the oven, and 20 minutes later it is ready to eat. I think this process is same for those commercially made frozen pizza, right?
I thought you were talking about the frozen dough. I wouldn't bother freezing my own pizza, but that's just me.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:39 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
If you want fast pizza, you can buy ready-baked pizza crusts that are pretty good, Have a box of those in the freezer, keep packages of pizza sauce. Zap the sauce in the microwave and add toppings and into the oven. It is very fast and convenient.

Or you can use jars of spaghetti sauce to top a pizza instead of making sauce.

I always make enough pizza for meals the next day, but I have never tried freezing an already made and baked pizza. It might work. You just have to try it and see. I'm sure the commercial pizzas are flash frozen, not slowly frozen in a home freezer, but I have no idea whether or not that makes a difference.

Up until two years ago, I could buy boxes of prebaked gluten free pizza crusts. it was easy, take one out of the freezer, smear some sauce on it, and load it with cheese and toppings and into the oven. Very quick, very convenient. Unfortunately, that brand is no longer available and pizza making is now a long complicated process to make gluten free crusts from scratch. I'd sure buy those prebaked crusts again if I could get them.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:53 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
I always used to purchase the pizza dough and now I make my own. I only make what I intend to use and its really easy to do and this is coming from someone that would prefer eat microwavable meals at every sitting because its much more convenient. I make the dough, let it sit for a couple hours and its ready to go. When I used to purchase the dough (on many occasions it was the same day I intended to use it), getting it to thaw properly seemed like a hassle and I think it diminished the quality.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:57 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you want fast pizza, you can buy ready-baked pizza crusts that are pretty good, Have a box of those in the freezer, keep packages of pizza sauce. Zap the sauce in the microwave and add toppings and into the oven. It is very fast and convenient.

Or you can use jars of spaghetti sauce to top a pizza instead of making sauce.

I always make enough pizza for meals the next day, but I have never tried freezing an already made and baked pizza. It might work. You just have to try it and see. I'm sure the commercial pizzas are flash frozen, not slowly frozen in a home freezer, but I have no idea whether or not that makes a difference.

Up until two years ago, I could buy boxes of prebaked gluten free pizza crusts. it was easy, take one out of the freezer, smear some sauce on it, and load it with cheese and toppings and into the oven. Very quick, very convenient. Unfortunately, that brand is no longer available and pizza making is now a long complicated process to make gluten free crusts from scratch. I'd sure buy those prebaked crusts again if I could get them.

Works great! I'd regularly buy a pie from a local Mom & Pop pizzeria and freeze individually wrapped slices. Reheated in the toaster oven it's like freshly made pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes