Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 03:39 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times

Advertisements

I need to replace a toaster oven in my own kitchen. I am wondering if I should get one with rotisserie function (with spits that rotates meat).

I had one a long time ago; I remember I did not use it too much; kind of a pain to put food there and operate it. In recent years I don't seem to hear much about it. (Recent years it's all "air fryer")

I love a juicy roast chicken. Is a rotisserie oven still worth getting for the home kitchen? Does anyone use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 12:10 AM

20,658 posts, read 4,425,411 times
Yes if you really like rotisserie chicken, or other meats.

As for toaster oven with rotisserie function or air fryer, you can get all an all in one.

Convection Oven with rotisserie & air fryer.

Old 04-09-2023, 06:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I need to replace a toaster oven in my own kitchen. I am wondering if I should get one with rotisserie function (with spits that rotates meat).

I had one a long time ago; I remember I did not use it too much; kind of a pain to put food there and operate it. In recent years I don't seem to hear much about it. (Recent years it's all "air fryer")

I love a juicy roast chicken. Is a rotisserie oven still worth getting for the home kitchen? Does anyone use it?
So based upon your post I would say no. If you did not use it and hated to clean it, why bother. The grocery stores sell chickens they put on a rotisserie and you don't have to clean it. (neither do they apparently.)

Old 04-09-2023, 07:56 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Another counter queen for an occasional chicken? SO's grill has a rotisserie attachment which works well.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
We wouldn't use a countertop rotisserie enough to justify it; however, I demanded one in our outdoor gas grill. We use it occasionally for a whole chicken, but it's the ONLY way I'm 'allowed' to roast a whole duck. DH cleans the oven and said no more roast duck in the oven. We love duck, so the outdoor one was a simple solution (especially because he monitors the thing.)

I'm just waiting for my 10 yr old Breville convection oven to die so I can replace it with a Breville convection oven air fryer.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:49 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We wouldn't use a countertop rotisserie enough to justify it; however, I demanded one in our outdoor gas grill.
I have the JoeTisserie for the grill. Works great.

Quote:
I'm just waiting for my 10 yr old Breville convection oven to die so I can replace it with a Breville convection oven air fryer.
I was going to recommend getting a Breville. Expensive, but worth it.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:04 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I have a rotisserie for the barbecue grill, but it never gets used. Those countertop chicken rotisseries were a big item, advertised a lot , just a few years ago. You can probably find one in a thrift store if you look because I am sure a lot of people bought them and discovered they never used it.

My Dad had a rotisserie for his barbecue grill that he used a lot. He liked to cook hams on it.

If you really like rotisserie cooked food, then get one. If you have room for a barbecue grill, a rotisserie attachment for the grill actually makes a lot more sense. It's easier to clean and it gives a smoke flavoring as well as the excellent basting.

While I like the chickens at Costco, they are not easier or quicker. You have to fight the parking lot and make your way through the crowd and stand in the long line at the check-out. All well and fine if you have additional shopping to do while you are there, but not an easy solution for dinner, if all you want is the chicken.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:55 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
It would depend if you really think you would use it. I know we would not, I mostly cook chicken parts, if we want a whole chicken, I go to Costco & do my Costco shopping at the same time. And if you don't want to go to Costco, most grocers seem to also sell them ready cooked.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:34 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times
I love a juice chicken any day. My experience with local market (Nob Hills) is that their chicken is too dry. Costco chicken is very good when freshly out of the oven, but as other alluded to that is only viable when we do other shopping at Costco.

I did not use my rotisserie enough because it was a hassle to deal with the whole chicken. But since a juicy chicken at low cost is hard to come by, I kind of want to have the option of doing it myself once in a while.

Also, I suspect if I get a flat "cage" that can rotate on the spit, maybe even chicken parts like thighs can also be done in a rotisserie way?

Old 04-09-2023, 12:19 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I used to earn my art lessons cleaning the local art gallery owner's house. They had a countertop rotisserie and used it almost every week. So many obnoxious little corners, grease, burned on residue, and sharp edges. No mystery why they left it for me to clean! Never, never, never again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes