Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 09:10 PM

128,311 posts, read 11,839,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Invest in a rice cooker.

When you make large batches of rice, it's easy to burn the bottom on a stove.

Just saying......
Some do it on purpose

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...-persian-rice/

ATG. I hope you find solution that works for you. Some people microwave raw rice, maybe you could experiment with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 09:11 PM

88,189 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Invest in a rice cooker.

When you make large batches of rice, it's easy to burn the bottom on a stove.

Just saying......
Lol, the OP's very first sentence says, "I don't want to buy a rice cooker."

I get it. I am an infrequent rice eater myself. I had a rice cooker I never used that sat in a drawer for years until I gave it away.

I think a clue here is when the poster said she might boil the rice too much, and it works for pasta but not the rice.

You don't boil rice like you do pasta. You boil the water, but then lower the temp to simmer when you stir in the rice and then and cover the pot. It can still stick and has to be monitored, but I cook with gas. The shutoff-the-burner trick on an electric cooktop might work better.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:12 PM

61,261 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Aldi nearby?
Buy Earthly Grains Instant white rice

1 cup rice + 1 cup hot water. Stir and cook till water is almost absorbed. Turn off the heat. Add salt and if you want - a teaspoon butter. Stir, cover with lid. Come back after 5 minutes or so, fluff and enjoy.
Fluffy everytime. Tasty too.

No preservatives or any chemicals. Just rice and added vitamins.

It probably works with any other instant rice, but I buy only at Aldi, so you would need to check on the ingredients.

Instant rice has fewer of the calories, carbohydrates, and protein than regular white rice.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,014,451 times
2 parts water to 1 part rice never works for my Asian recipes.
1.5 parts water to 1 part rice doesn’t do it either for me.
I use 1.25 parts water to 1 part rice for my fried rice recipes.

I also cook my rice the day before and place on a oil sprayed piece of parchment paper that is on a cookie sheet in the fridge overnight.
I also quit using oil in my water when I cook the rice.

Give this a try it doesn’t really cost anything to experiment.
I get compliments on my rice based cooks.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:27 PM

Are you reheating the rice next day? ^^^

Old 05-09-2023, 10:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,014,451 times
I do reheat the next day for fried rice but this 1.25 ratio works just fine for same day serve as well.
If you think about it, it is not really much different than what you do.
Meaning that .25 of a cup with the difference in water temp (you using hot while I use cold)and a minute or so of time differential makes it about a wash or at least manageable to do whatever you want.

I started experimenting because I loath soggy rice.
Soggy fried rice might as well be called soggy mush.
Cheers.

Edited to add,
I reread what you do and I can see that it is a bit different.
I’m sure your way works fine.
I am happy with mine so I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat .

Old 05-09-2023, 10:27 PM

You absolutely need to experiment with the water ratio to cook the most desirable rice that pleases you.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:39 AM

12,068 posts, read 9,108,422 times
I think that:

- Rinsing rice kernels under cold water before cooking
- Not using too much water
- Trying to cook it until the free water is gone (yet without scorching too much at the bottom - a delicate balance)

...all help. Using an electric rice cooker that shuts off automagically is definitely easier than on the stove.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:29 AM

23,544 posts, read 70,012,236 times
LOL!!! You gave the solution yourself in the first post. Use a strainer/colander. Rinse with running cold water until what comes out no longer has a trace of white (starch). Cook covered on low, when a chopstick inserted and moved around ina 1/2 circle no longer shows water at the bottom of its well, remove from heat and let rest at least ten minutes. Remove and fluff with a fork.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:10 AM

6,049 posts, read 4,407,779 times
1:1-1/3 is the ratio. Rinse the rice, boil it in the water, then add a tight lid and put on the lowest heat. Check it at 15 min. You can rescue it if necessary by adding water or letting some steam out at that point, then either stop cooking or cook the water you added and either way it still needs to sit for the moisture to equalize and the rice to release off the pot (if that's what you want). A thicker pot helps, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes